Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madge doesn't have to go, we need a backrower who can play 80 min of quality D and AD back, thats it, next year we get 2 players that we could use now! Next year we lose a quality inexperienced backrower but have cash to buy Tapine or equivalent now if soneone cone avail, simple. We will be better this year than last year, well come 9th!

I'm going to give him half the season to see how we are going.
We have some very interesting and tough games which should be enough to show can we compete week in week out & are we making progress in key areas.

AD coming back is an interesting one, I don't actually see a big uptick in how we perform with AD on the park as others do. His defensive efforts need a massive uplift & he is coming back from injury into a new setup = combos and he starts the year behind everyone else. I will be setting the bar low to give him time to find a role that he can cement as his rather than move around all over the place.

We have some very interesting and tough games which should be enough to show can we compete week in week out & are we making progress in key areas.

AD coming back is an interesting one, I don't actually see a big uptick in how we perform with AD on the park as others do. His defensive efforts need a massive uplift & he is coming back from injury into a new setup = combos and he starts the year behind everyone else. I will be setting the bar low to give him time to find a role that he can cement as his rather than move around all over the place.
Absolutely, my comment about AD was a fit and firing AD and a quality backrower instead of having a few min from an underdone Garner and we would have won, especially if we kicked goals.. AD's inclusion when fit will be interesting, we need him next year injury free.
I've been saying for months now that we need to sign more players and finish season off well to give us momentum for 2033

I have similar concerns with AD.
If he comes straight back into our starting 13, we are in deep poop.
I would use him as a super sub for season 2022, unless our hand is forced.

He comes straight back in at centre based on some of the decisions made Saturday night.

I want to give him a run at center, his running game is his biggest attribute & do think his defensive reads can be resolved. He just needs time in a position. Being a super sub makes me nervous as he is better than that + we have Peach who can fill that role.

Played some of his best games there, one against Manly he single-handedly won us a game. Gildarts defense looked very shaky to me.
That was before his knee reco and it was in-consistent form at best. He will be slower now than he was then and his defence will surely be worse, which will make it unsatisfactory.
Gildart certainly needs to lift his game in defence, but he has some spark in attack that will create chances for his winger and fullback. He requires time to adjust.

Madge can't even figure out how to use the bench. Maybe the reason the team has fitness issues is because players aren't rotated correctly.
Agree there are some questions here. We need smarter people on the coaches box

But i stand by the fact that the club as a whole as been a failure for many years now.

Short term / band aid fixes and over paying has beens.

This is the long term approach that only Madge has had the courage to lead.

Culture change.

Prob watched every one of his pressers since hes been WT head coach

Saw his one from this week just then, followed it with Holbrooks as i had seen some headlines saying he let rip

man it is night and day comparing the two. Madge is an absolute robot repeating the same tired old phrases ('ebb and flow of the game' anyone?), holbrook, robbo, bellamy, you name em actually have half a brain and show that they really care

really wish one of the journos would ask madge about his bench rotations too

every time his shonky choices are questioned in a presser he never takes responsibility for it, only ever says it was the right decision at the time, or he'll flat out blame the players

small gripe, but just thought id highlight it

I’m struggling to find an available coach in the market that can replace Madge. Woolf is having a lot of success in England so maybe him.
I reckon Ciraldo would already have Gould in his ear waiting for the bulldogs job. Flanagan has a proven record in getting wins but is also a cheater so I just don’t know

Madge is our "accidental"coach for 2022 as he had a locked in 2 year contract containing KPIs which commenced this season,..........plus our first and second choice coaches for this year were totally disinterested in coming to WTS.Madge did a Bradbury basically
Given Madges new contract It wld have been very expensive to punt him for 2022 as he hadnt actually failed any KPIs before a ball had been kicked
With "Madgeball"playing style (our attackers running one -out for 5 plays then kick it to Kenny and hope )being the exclusive strategy offered against all teams regardless of their respective strengths and weaknesses,we'll be lucky to beat anyone in 2022,,and that will only be another bottom 4 team having a bad day.
By round 10/12 our shortcomings will have become obvious in our results,and with just one or two wins ,and a long injury list and player burnout from our physically taxing playing style ,our players will become demotivated and detached ,and it will be clear that Madge's key KPI of making to top 8 will be unachievable for 2022......top 8 just aint gonna happen
.... and Madge then becomes inexpensive to punt by year end 2022 ...with no or minimum payout
Concurrently,Board having observed the looming disaster,finalise negotiations with Kristian Woolf current ESL premiership winner with St Helens (and very popular current Tongan coach)and colleague of Sheens ) to coach WTs in 2023 after he sees out club and country(World Cup Sept) responsibilities this year
...So we announce Woolf mid 2022 to atract new and better players for next year..those same players who arent/werent excited about playing under Madge
Madge either finishes 2022 out, knowing its his last,or once his minor payout is finalised ,Sheens becomes interim coach for back half of this season.
Probably latter
Hope Im wrong,but .Im seeing 2022 as yet yet another year wasted,but we need a coach who can coach in this era,attract better players,play a more threatening and versatile attacking style, and bring all the team with him
...and use the bench
Madge,good guy that he is, isnt that person

Last edited:
Agree there are some questions here. We need smarter people on the coaches box

But i stand by the fact that the club as a whole as been a failure for many years now.

Short term / band aid fixes and over paying has beens.

This is the long term approach that only Madge has had the courage to lead.

Culture change.
This Madges 4th year to change the culture...the results over those years say it all
Aint goin north so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back