Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is right now but I don't have much confidence in Nofo and Roberts.

It's really hard to target a single player on an edge as being the problem though isn't it. I watched a little of Gildart in the ESL and he was a terrible defender. I haven't seen him make the same misses in the NRL as he did in the ESL but I assume it's coming.

Not smart to recruit someone bad at defence into our squad.

Gone backwards under Madge. Defence is terrible. Brooks still at 7.. nothing has changed
Disagree.

We have a clean salary cap, some good players coming, some good juniors and an improved attitude.

Madge will improve the squad mentally and in terms of fitness.

Watch the talk in the media ramp up if we don't win this weekend.
Was thinking the same

Huge game in terms of the club's credibility this weekend...hard to get a gauge on the Knights just yet, I thought the Roosters were just really crap and even we would have beaten them

Packed out Newcastle crowd will defs give us no favours though

I’m not sure how long the club will keep Madge if we do loose say our first 5 or 6 games and I’m not saying we will , I hope not , but the bench rotation was very poor for a high level coach , this week pending injury I would bring in Tamou drop Garner , bring in the X Newcastle centre and drop Roberts , Roberts went ok but he has has plenty of chances to shine where Gildart has had only 1 , I also think Blore is a loss , him starting then Kelma coming on would have been very good for us , Blore to defend for the first 25 then Kelma to attack for the next 15 take the break and remain on for the next 20 attacking , Blore back on to defend the remainder of the game

I think Maguire will get the flick if we miss the 8. The noise around him missing the semi's for 6 straight years would be too much (2 at Souths).
(We are now paying $1.09 to miss the 8)

The first 60 mins in which we conceded 3 very soft and preventable tries?

The first half was ok, but we had 68% possession. Any other team would have been up by 20 at that stage.

Our attack was poor, defence worse, fitness poor, coaching poor.

If your argument is that we can look solid when we have 68% possession then we're in deep deep trouble
We had 68% possession because we looked good. Storm don’t just hand over the ball.

It might be Maguire - but what is clear is that too many of our players are over paid for their performance level and have his fate in their hands. Until we attract players with a different mindset the next coach will face the same problem.
Isn't it the coaches responsibility to instill that mindset? This is something that is learned you're not born with a winning mindset.

A lot have been very critical of Oliver's defence, and fair enough, but no one has mentioned that he did equal the top runs (15) along with Stef and Kenny, and run for over 100 meters. Nothing much has been said about his centre partner, who has been a liability since he was signed and against form, resigned.

He needs to go.

Was willing him to give him a chance but have come to the conclusion that the players will NEVER buy in to his game.

He had a chance to stick up for Luciano after that cannonball tackle. Was asked directly in the press conference and wouldn't go on record to defend his player and call out the dog shot on him.

No different to Jason Taylor throwing Rankin under the bus. That's when Taylor lost the playing group and this will be the end of Maguire as well

You can't ask players to buy in if you are not willing to stand up for them in public.

Next.

I'll give him 5 weeks. It's over.

Madge has coached these guys all pre season and when it came to attack all they had was kick it to Kenny. Compare that to the Storm who were running on empty but were able to put on plays with ease,

You sack the coach you are backing the squad - great message to send to serial underperformers, and to the players that you are trying to attract to play beside them. Strong clubs move on players that don't perform until we are in that positon, the sacking the coach
Isn't it the coaches responsibility to instill that mindset? This is something that is learned you're not born with a winning mindset.
The mindset has to be instilled right through the organisation. If your leaders on and off the field are not pulling in the same direction it doesn't matter what the coach tries to instill he will fail and so will we, if he is the only one held accountable.

That goes both ways.

Your take on certain posters is no more valid than mine or a hundred others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back