Moses said he was “loving” playing under Taylor

Nucky_Thompson

Mitchell Moses has put on three kilos over the off-season and admits in the back of his mind he’d love to break into the NSW State of Origin team this year.

But what he will not be rushing into is a decision on his future with the off-contract Wests Tigers playmaker declaring “time is on my side”.

The gifted 22-year-old will get the ideal chance to push his Origin claims on Friday night when Moses makes his All Stars debut for the World team against a star-studded Indigenous side led by Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston.
\
\
Mitchell Moses has bulked up in the off-season. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Moses concedes he was in awe just to be standing in a group team photo alongside the likes of Thurston, Greg Inglis, and many of the game’s biggest stars.

“To play with players of this calibre, I know for myself I am going to take a lot of confidence out of this,” Moses said.

“They are the players I have looked up to since I was young, Johnathan Thurston and players like that.

“This is my first year of doing it so I will definitely take a lot of confidence out of it and hopefully take it into the Tigers this year.”

And hopefully it won’t be the last time he gets to play against Thurston in a representative game this year.
\
\
Mitchell Moses scores a try for the Wests Tigers last season. Picture: Getty Images
With the Cowboys superstar already signalling this will be his last year of rep footy, Moses said of his own Origin ambitions: “That is the goal.

“If I am playing good footy for the Tigers that is all I can control.

“That stuff will sort itself out if I am playing good enough footy and they think I am ready.”

But as for settling his own future, Moses is in no hurry.

With star teammates James Tedesco, Luke Brooks and Aaron Woods also off contract at the end of the season, Moses concedes each man must do what is best for them.
\
\
Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses have formed a dynamic duo for the Wests Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“We are really professional in that way,” he said.

“We have seen it happen at other clubs and some players get pushed out.

“If it happens it happens.

“I have left it up to my management.”

Coach Jason Taylor handed Moses control of the team last year when he cut Robbie Farah from the NRL squad and the young five-eighth’s game blossomed with the added responsibility.
\
\
Taylor is also off contract at the end of the year but Moses said he was “loving” playing under Taylor.

“It is where I made my debut and where I have played all my footy so I’d love to stay,” he said.

“I have not spoken to any other clubs. But like I said, things happen.

“Players get pushed out, things like that happen. What you get is what you get. It is completely up to my management.

“He is doing everything at the moment and he hasn’t spoken to me about one thing about contract talks. Time is on my side really. I don’t have to put a time frame on it at all.”

IT’S TIME: Moses says youth is no excuse

Moses says the Tigers will have no excuses if they don’t finish in the finals.

“We were one game short last year so we will be looking to go one better this year. I will try and do the same as last year. I will go into every game thinking there is no pressure on me at all,” he said.

“Just keep a relaxed mind and focus on the job I have to do. I feel that is when I play my best footy.”
\
\
\
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/bulkedup-wests-tigers-star-mitchell-moses-in-no-rush-to-sort-out-nrl-contract/news-story/32a55653559e6eca33fa0f141bb82834

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/mitchell-moses-allegedly-signs-deal-with-roosters-west-tigers-nrl-2017-james-tedesco-highest-paid-rugby-league/1miu9z34621rh1f24s0rel3c7o

Wests Tigers star Mitchell Moses reportedly signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Roosters over summer – only to backflip on the deal days later.

Rugby League Week ’s The Mole revealed in Thursday’s edition of the magazine that the Tigers No.6 agreed to terms with the Chooks and put pen to paper.

Moses then contracted a severe case of cold feet and changed his mind, utilising the NRL’s 10-day cooling off period to rip up the contract.

According to the Mole, Roosters officials are fuming over Moses’ about-face but have not given up all hope of luring the five-eighth to Bondi next year.

The 22-year will be one of the most sought-after players in the game when he comes off contract at the end of 2017.
\
\
Lol, both articles completely contradict each other

They better be hoping to do better than just scraping in the finals this year. Otherwise it will be another disappointing year.

@Born tiger said:
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/mitchell-moses-allegedly-signs-deal-with-roosters-west-tigers-nrl-2017-james-tedesco-highest-paid-rugby-league/1miu9z34621rh1f24s0rel3c7o

Wests Tigers star Mitchell Moses reportedly signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Roosters over summer – only to backflip on the deal days later.

Rugby League Week ’s The Mole revealed in Thursday’s edition of the magazine that the Tigers No.6 agreed to terms with the Chooks and put pen to paper.

Moses then contracted a severe case of cold feet and changed his mind, utilising the NRL’s 10-day cooling off period to rip up the contract.

According to the Mole, Roosters officials are fuming over Moses’ about-face but have not given up all hope of luring the five-eighth to Bondi next year.

The 22-year will be one of the most sought-after players in the game when he comes off contract at the end of 2017.
\
\
Lol, both articles completely contradict each other

What a complete loads of codswallop! I'm sure the Mole just dreams this stuff up at night and then puts it in print as 'gospel' - has he ever actually got anything correct? I really don't know why he gets paid for doing this stuff. Perhaps I should try earning a living making up shite too - would be a darn sight easier than what I'm doing now and probably pays a lot more as well!

Hilarious - and the DT story ????? We all know there is never any truth in what they write!! ,- but this story could be an exception.

Wow what a contradiction between the two articles. Moses quoted saying has not talk to anymore then the mole saying he signed a contract.

I reckon they dream half this stuff up in their sleep

Not saying the Roosters deal is true but does anyone expect Moses to cop to having signed a contract elsewhere?

And we are to believe that Roosters offered a "lucrative" contract to Moses over 4 seasons, despite already having Mitchell Pearce, Connor Watson, Ryan Matterson, Mitch Cornish, Luke Keary, Jayden Nikorima on the books?

@jirskyr said:
And we are to believe that Roosters offered a "lucrative" contract to Moses over 4 seasons, despite already having Mitchell Pearce, Connor Watson, Ryan Matterson, Mitch Cornish, Luke Keary, Jayden Nikorima on the books?

Are you suggesting they use Brown paper bags ?

@Nucky Thompson said:
Mitchell Moses has put on three kilos over the off-season and admits in the back of his mind he’d love to break into the NSW State of Origin team this year.

But what he will not be rushing into is a decision on his future with the off-contract Wests Tigers playmaker declaring “time is on my side”.

The gifted 22-year-old will get the ideal chance to push his Origin claims on Friday night when Moses makes his All Stars debut for the World team against a star-studded Indigenous side led by Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston.
\
\
Mitchell Moses has bulked up in the off-season. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Moses concedes he was in awe just to be standing in a group team photo alongside the likes of Thurston, Greg Inglis, and many of the game’s biggest stars.

“To play with players of this calibre, I know for myself I am going to take a lot of confidence out of this,” Moses said.

“They are the players I have looked up to since I was young, Johnathan Thurston and players like that.

“This is my first year of doing it so I will definitely take a lot of confidence out of it and hopefully take it into the Tigers this year.”

And hopefully it won’t be the last time he gets to play against Thurston in a representative game this year.
\
\
Mitchell Moses scores a try for the Wests Tigers last season. Picture: Getty Images
With the Cowboys superstar already signalling this will be his last year of rep footy, Moses said of his own Origin ambitions: “That is the goal.

“If I am playing good footy for the Tigers that is all I can control.

“That stuff will sort itself out if I am playing good enough footy and they think I am ready.”

But as for settling his own future, Moses is in no hurry.

With star teammates James Tedesco, Luke Brooks and Aaron Woods also off contract at the end of the season, Moses concedes each man must do what is best for them.
\
\
Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses have formed a dynamic duo for the Wests Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“We are really professional in that way,” he said.

“We have seen it happen at other clubs and some players get pushed out.

“If it happens it happens.

“I have left it up to my management.”

Coach Jason Taylor handed Moses control of the team last year when he cut Robbie Farah from the NRL squad and the young five-eighth’s game blossomed with the added responsibility.
\
\
Taylor is also off contract at the end of the year but Moses said he was “loving” playing under Taylor.

“It is where I made my debut and where I have played all my footy so I’d love to stay,” he said.

“I have not spoken to any other clubs. But like I said, things happen.

“Players get pushed out, things like that happen. What you get is what you get. It is completely up to my management.

“He is doing everything at the moment and he hasn’t spoken to me about one thing about contract talks. Time is on my side really. I don’t have to put a time frame on it at all.”

IT’S TIME: Moses says youth is no excuse

Moses says the Tigers will have no excuses if they don’t finish in the finals.

“We were one game short last year so we will be looking to go one better this year. I will try and do the same as last year. I will go into every game thinking there is no pressure on me at all,” he said.

“Just keep a relaxed mind and focus on the job I have to do. I feel that is when I play my best footy.”
\
\
\
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/tigers/bulkedup-wests-tigers-star-mitchell-moses-in-no-rush-to-sort-out-nrl-contract/news-story/32a55653559e6eca33fa0f141bb82834

Doesnt sound really promisng from Mitch himself

Moses supposedly signing with the Roosters doesn't sound plausible to me - they just bought Keary, plus they have Connor Watson. And I reckon they're holding out hope that Foran wants to return to Sydney in 2018 so that they can snap him up to play alongside his mate Pearce. If the Roosters were to go after any of our players, it would be Tedesco.

I imagine our biggest challengers for Moses are the Bulldogs, seeing as Reynolds is off contract and they desperately need some attacking spark. They'd probably be keen on Tedesco too seeing as Hopoate isn't exactly lighting up the world.

I'd been told by a very reliable source that Moses had agreed with the roosters in the pre season of 2016\. I don't know what changed his mind. Phil goulds infamous tweet seemed to support this.

I understand players don't want to discuss negotiations with the media, and I don't think they should have too, however I hate the line 'I'll leave that to my manager.' What absolute crap. So are we expected to believe in 3 months time your manager comes to you and says 'so Mitch I haven't spoken to you for 3 months but good news, I've signed you up to play for the dogs for the next 4 years. Do you want to know how much you're getting?'

@fergiefurr said:
I'd been told by a very reliable source that Moses had agreed with the roosters in the pre season of 2016\. I don't know what changed his mind. Phil goulds infamous tweet seemed to support this.

I understand players don't want to discuss negotiations with the media, and I don't think they should have too, however I hate the line 'I'll leave that to my manager.' What absolute crap. So are we expected to believe in 3 months time your manager comes to you and says 'so Mitch I haven't spoken to you for 3 months but good news, I've signed you up to play for the dogs for the next 4 years. Do you want to know how much you're getting?'

LOL yeah, players definitely down play their own role in the negotiation and decision making process. There would be a constant communication between manager and off-contract high profile player.

Spot on fergiefurr. Contract negotiation talk would have to be the number 1 most boring s#%# talk that all NRL followers are subjected to. It is all just absolute lie-through-your-teeth garbage.
When the try-hards in the media can't be bothered chasing a worthwhile and interesting story they always fall back on the nauseating contract rumours. It's pathetic.

@steve-o said:
@fergiefurr said:

LOL yeah, players definitely down play their own role in the negotiation and decision making process. There would be a constant communication between manager and off-contract high profile player.

Whats the alternative, my manager and i have been discussing it and we are hanging out for the highest offer and then we are going to give the WT a chance to better it or I'm gone.

Any other answer will only lead to more media questions.

Manager probably staged the signing and cooled it off to make the tigers up the bid.
It's a dirty game on the managers side of the game. 10% is on the line.

We all know that Moses hates Jason Taylor

Every member of the squad hates him

Jason Taylor's shadow hates Jason Taylor

Moses has had the same contract tatics since he made the big league. Hold off long any term deals until his form picks up. His form so happened to picked up last year and if it continues the start of this year his up for some mega dollars $$$.

Tigertown have picked up it's act culturally lately, his playing the footy he wants to play, so I think tigers in with a chance but at the end of the day it's going to come to tigers being competitive with other offers. His Still here is a good sign.
\
\
Same goes with Brooks without Moses form.

Unlike Tedesco, Moses still has a bit to prove. Tedesco knows he can write his own check wherever he wants to go, so the decision for him isn't about money. If Moses gets off to an absolute blazing start, he could add 300-400k to his price tag. So while it sucks for us supporters, it's probably a wise move for him personally. It's worth the risk as I can't see his price tag dropping too much below what it already is. While him not being signed by round one is a worry for the long term, for the short term it could be great, because we will get the best out of him.

Back