Penrith’s Defence

Tigerwould

No, I’m not here to defend Penrith. Still hate and always will.
However, not sure when they started the strategy off committing so many defenders into the one tackle
and driving the attacking player backwards? maybe 2 or so years ago.
When I first saw it. I thought they are using a lot of gas and surely they will fatigue later in the game. That hasn’t happen.
Then I thought, this is risky. Because if the attacking player gets the ball away… with so many defenders in the tackle. The defence will be in disarray. This doesn’t offen happen either.

At least two or more years on, it still seems to be working for them.
Sometimes it looks like a rolling maul in rugby union. Expect they often use outbacks rather than forwards.
Why don’t many other teams use this defensive strategy? Is it too risky if you haven’t spent many pre-seasons trying to perfect it?
or they have a young squad that have been conditioned to it from the juniors into NRL level.

Hoping forumers that have a way better understanding of NRL defence can explain this one to me.

What i've noticed is how border line they are with being offside nearly every set

I watched them live a couple weeks back and they push so many boundaries. IE shooters straight out of the line which forces the attacking player to think quickly on their feet which leads to errors. They keep up the intensity for 80 mins ...dunno how with such an energy draining approach. They're either 20% fitter than every other team in the comp or on drugs

TL;DR they're so much better in effort areas than any other team in the comp barring maybe Melbourne and occasionally Parra and it's suss

Last edited:
Penrith have their outside backs running every tackle when they are doing yardage sets that are not started from kick-offs. This allows their forwards to rest for the next set in defence. Their forwards don't even bother getting on side sometimes. They walk to the 40m line then wait for the backs to cart it up to them.

This is how they have the energy to have such intense line speed for so long.

Penrith have their outside backs running every tackle when they are doing yardage sets that are not started from kick-offs. This allows their forwards to rest for the next set in defence. Their forwards don't even bother getting on side sometimes. They walk to the 40m line then wait for the backs to cart it up to them.

I do remember Ivan had this approach with us in 2018 but it wasn't sustainable because we had plodders galore

I do remember Ivan had this approach with us in 2018 but it wasn't sustainable because we had plodders galore
Something else they do which is what we did in 2018 is keep it simple unless there is broken play. They don't often do anything outside of the box unless someone offloads, in which case they are free to play what they see.

Ah it all makes sense now. Garner won’t have to do hit ups 🧏‍♂️

Well drilled. Masters of the wrestle and suffocate in defence.

It’s amazing what young fit and skillful blokes who want to play for each other can achieve. Their D is all about effort, trust and communication. Fitness and mobility plays a huge role as well.

Latest posts

Back