Phil Gould joins Bulldogs

@jrdee said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416977) said:
So begins the bulldogs 5 year plan

They usually run a minimum of 8 years.

Just curious but what happened to Gould's big move into player management?

@don_kershane said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417009) said:
@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416970) said:
We’ll see. I’m not sure Gus is the great mastermind he’s made out to be.

Poker machine ambassador for Laundy's pubs. Pathways to Pokies program.

That's part of the reason they signed him. They will get most of what they pay him back through the pokies.

Wasn’t it Gould telling Trent Barrett a while ago that the environment at the Bulldogs was toxic and not to go anywhere near the club.

@kiwitiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416986) said:
@telltails said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416985) said:
As neighbouring clubs and both underperforming can't say that this does not raise a level of concern. Hate when Gould is affliated with Sydney clubs and retains his media presence. Always seems to have more influence on the NRL than any other commentator.

I agree with @Yossarian that he is not the great mastermind he is made out to be. But you have nailed his best attribute and that is controlling the message for the club and himself. As a commentator he can really control the message and make a club and himself look a lot better than they are.

:100:

Because captain hindsight is so good at covering the message and narrative he is a pox to the game when involved in clubland and his agenda’s get pushed .

He is over rated and will do will be somewhat a draw card in recruiting BUT he is just a dud like everyone and over states his role at Penrith me thinks

He had a number of players on long term contracts for big dollars that Cleary had to offload .

@bathursttiger1 said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417035) said:
Wasn’t it Gould telling Trent Barrett a while ago that the environment at the Bulldogs was toxic and not to go anywhere near the club.

Everyone has a PRICE !!!

You seen Penrith lately?

@tigerpower said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416974) said:
He got Reece Walsh to the warriors, turned the panthers around. That’s a massive scoop for the bulldogs

Yeah even if it the perception that Gould is or isn't successful ......Gould's name alone will help them ...helps with them getting back to becoming the Family Club as they claim

Anyone inside the game knows Gould is the real deal - never heard anyone who's worked with him say a bad thing about the guy. Everyone made fun of his 5 year plan at the Riff, it ended up taking 7 years to see results but I don't think anyone is regretting it

@dgilly said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417060) said:

You seen Penrith lately?

Correlation does not imply causality…

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417061) said:
He got Reece Walsh to the warriors, turned the panthers around. That’s a massive scoop for the bulldogs

Yeah even if it the perception that Gould is or isn't successful ......Gould's name alone will help them ...helps with them getting back to becoming the Family Club as they claim

Maybe. It seems odd they’d do this after buying up everyone on the market. I doubt TPJ or Dale F give a flying fig about Gus or Tim Sheens.

@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417065) said:

Maybe. It seems odd they’d do this after buying up everyone on the market. I doubt TPJ or Dale F give a flying fig about Gus or Tim Sheens.

They do if it helps attract better players ......that helps them become a more attractive club

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417067) said:

They do if it helps attract better players ......that helps them become a more attractive club

The question is, do they? Long-term we’re probably better placed with some like Tahu on our books than Gus or Timbo. The Dogs signed a lot of players before Gould came on board.

@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417068) said:

The question is, do they? Long-term we’re probably better placed with some like Tahu on our books than Gus or Timbo. The Dogs signed a lot of players before Gould came on board.

Have they got teh right players though ......

When Gould was at Penrith he saw what the problem was at in 2018 for 2019 ...they basically only needed a hooker ....and then grabbed best one on the market .....

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417069) said:

When Gould was at Penrith he saw what the problem was at in 2018 for 2019 ...they basically only needed a hooker ....and then grabbed best one on the market .....

He obviously ruffled some feathers at Penrith though, in the end they decided to take on Ivan and get rid of Gus.

@cochise said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417070) said:

He obviously ruffled some feathers at Penrith though, in the end they decided to take on Ivan and get rid of Gus.

Might be good to ruffle a few feathers here. Quite a lot of people seem comfortable.

In saying that I’m pretty sure Pascoe and Gould don’t get along. So wouldn’t hire him anyway

@cochise said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417070) said:

Gus is like that ...he ruffles everyone's feather's ...most people like that do .....

Another good question. But as you suggest the Panthers had a lot of high quality juniors roll through. Api has worked out well but I doubt even Gould thought he’d be that good. It’s not like he had to go hard to land him, he was basically unwanted.

Gould is a smart guy who understands the game. But there’s a lot of guys who are similar without the profile he has.

I listen to Gus' podcast weekly and he defiintely has a bit of an ego and superiority complex. He always thinks he's right and doesn't mind pointing it out. However, he is right a lot of the times as well. He's had success everywhere he's gone (Roosters/NSW/Penrith). If he's not a genius, then he employs people who are.

As for WT, all our SW Sydney areas are fair game. The new areas around Narellan are fair game for Penrith, Liverpool/Campbell is fair game for Bulldogs and now I also feel the inner west will be targetted by Parramatta (Folau, Hayne and Moses should've been our juniors from memory).

WT brans is definitely dying. Let's see what Sheens does.

@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417076) said:

Another good question. But as you suggest the Panthers had a lot of high quality juniors roll through. Api has worked out well but I doubt even Gould thought he’d be that good. It’s not like he had to go hard to land him, he was basically unwanted.

Gould is a smart guy who understands the game. But there’s a lot of guys who are similar without the profile he has.

I agree it might just be a perception Yoss ......but it is a high profile perception

Back