Phil Gould joins Bulldogs

I think a bloke like Gould (especially now he is older) has a limited life span at any organisation. He is full of his own importance and wouldn’t pull any punches.
This is not necessarily a bad thing because along with this arrogance he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience. No doubt Penrith are now benefiting from Gould’s influence.
I think sheens will be good for us but similarly, I think Gould will be good for the bulldogs

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417075) said:
@cochise said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417070) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417069) said:
@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417068) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417067) said:
@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417065) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417061) said:
@tigerpower said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416974) said:
He got Reece Walsh to the warriors, turned the panthers around. That’s a massive scoop for the bulldogs

Yeah even if it the perception that Gould is or isn't successful ......Gould's name alone will help them ...helps with them getting back to becoming the Family Club as they claim

Maybe. It seems odd they’d do this after buying up everyone on the market. I doubt TPJ or Dale F give a flying fig about Gus or Tim Sheens.

They do if it helps attract better players ......that helps them become a more attractive club

The question is, do they? Long-term we’re probably better placed with some like Tahu on our books than Gus or Timbo. The Dogs signed a lot of players before Gould came on board.

Have they got teh right players though ......

When Gould was at Penrith he saw what the problem was at in 2018 for 2019 ...they basically only needed a hooker ....and then grabbed best one on the market .....

He obviously ruffled some feathers at Penrith though, in the end they decided to take on Ivan and get rid of Gus.

Gus is like that ...he ruffles everyone's feather's ...most people like that do .....

Yeah I agree fully.

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417087) said:
@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417076) said:
He got Reece Walsh to the warriors, turned the panthers around. That’s a massive scoop for the bulldogs

Yeah even if it the perception that Gould is or isn't successful ......Gould's name alone will help them ...helps with them getting back to becoming the Family Club as they claim

Maybe. It seems odd they’d do this after buying up everyone on the market. I doubt TPJ or Dale F give a flying fig about Gus or Tim Sheens.

They do if it helps attract better players ......that helps them become a more attractive club

The question is, do they? Long-term we’re probably better placed with some like Tahu on our books than Gus or Timbo. The Dogs signed a lot of players before Gould came on board.

When Gould was at Penrith he saw what the problem was at in 2018 for 2019 ...they basically only needed a hooker ....and then grabbed best one on the market .....

Another good question. But as you suggest the Panthers had a lot of high quality juniors roll through. Api has worked out well but I doubt even Gould thought he’d be that good. It’s not like he had to go hard to land him, he was basically unwanted.

Gould is a smart guy who understands the game. But there’s a lot of guys who are similar without the profile he has.

I agree it might just be a perception Yoss ......but it is a high profile perception

But is that perception amongst the person at home or the players?

@rihannafan1 said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417097) said:
So he just walked out on the rebuild at the Warriors?

I was wondering that as well. Maybe it was always a short term thing. Maybe they didn’t listen. Who knows?

I don't think Gould himself would be attractive necessarily to the players. It depends which agents he is in bed with , figuratively speaking.

@tiger_steve said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417099) said:
@rihannafan1 said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417097) said:
So he just walked out on the rebuild at the Warriors?

I was wondering that as well. Maybe it was always a short term thing. Maybe they didn’t listen. Who knows?

He's sighted lack of availability due to COVID as the reason. It requires him to spend a lot of time in NZ which isn't possible.

I thought the Dogs may have had some short term success. However I believed their apparent lack of planning in recruiting would catch up with them and impact their ability to target the right players when they came along. Their shotgun approach bagged some players but also used up much of their cap, yet they still they have a number of gaps they need to fill. That is what Gould will fix.

He obviously ruffled some feathers at Penrith though, in the end they decided to take on Ivan and get rid of Gus.

Gus is like that ...he ruffles everyone's feather's ...most people like that do .....

Agree. He will ruffle feathers to achieve success, something we have lacked because the people in higher powers are more worried about protecting their jobs. . The junior development at the panthers is all him. He will do that at the bulldogs and sell the dream to promising juniors and their families. I hope sheens can do that here.

@tigerpower said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417123) said:

Agree. He will ruffle feathers to achieve success, something we have lacked because the people in higher powers are more worried about protecting their jobs. . The junior development at the panthers is all him. He will do that at the bulldogs and sell the dream to promising juniors and their families. I hope sheens can do that here.

What worries me about Sheens , when he tried to put his foot down at the WT's ......it got eaten off by the senior players

@happy_tiger said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417135) said:

What worries me about Sheens , when he tried to put his foot down at the WT's ......it got eaten off by the senior players

Benji is no longer at the club and he was the main offender not Robbie

Agree, a major factor - except if you are going for the retirement fund package.

The main agitators are gone. To me the last remaining senior players who could cause drama are Nofa, brooks and mbye. If these guys are still agitating behind the scenes then I’m happy for all of them to be moved on.

@tigerpower said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417155) said:

The main agitators are gone. To me the last remaining senior players who could cause drama are Nofa, brooks and mbye. If these guys are still agitating behind the scenes then I’m happy for all of them to be moved on.

Farah ......

He was able to do it in his early time at the club, in the end the players he raised turned around and bit him.

I think it was the board who turned on Sheens because he was aligned with Humphries.

It’s more our board that worries me, not the players. They are infamous for not listening to anyone proposing anything that might actually improve us as a club, Sheens included.

@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417064) said:
@dgilly said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1417060) said:
@yossarian said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416970) said:
We’ll see. I’m not sure Gus is the great mastermind he’s made out to be.

You seen Penrith lately?

Correlation does not imply causality…

Ask anyone at Penrith and see what they say. This forum is amazing - Cleary can't take credit for it and Gould can't either apparently

@inbenjiwetrust said in [Phil Gould joins Bulldogs](/post/1416971) said:
We cannot have everyone, as I understand we signed Sheens for that role. I am happy with this, Sheens was already with the WT, while Gould was always with "money is no object" teams.

Sheens anyday over Gould

Latest posts

Members online

Back