Quick update - Website

@tiger5150 said in [Quick update](/post/1498452) said:
@pascoes_barber said in [Quick update](/post/1498439) said:
Anyway, 5 pages of differing viewpoints in, there's clearly no *underlying issues* (to quote our illustrious captain) that need addressing.

It has been a good discussion. Why dont you add to it rather than simple obfuscating.

Be specific. What is the underlying issue?

Double standards, hypocrisy, and IMHO excessive moderation of 'topic drift'.

BTW if your kids were on the forum I hope they were using an ad-blocker, there was all kinds of, um...'questionable' (let's call it adult themes, sexual references) anime style cartoon ads appearing in separation panels a couple of months back alongside the regular ads for obvious financial scams using Elon Musk or Dick Smith's likeness.

@moh said in [Quick update](/post/1498455) said:
Anyway, 5 pages of differing viewpoints in, there's clearly no *underlying issues* (to quote our illustrious captain) that need addressing.

It has been a good discussion. Why dont you add to it rather than simple obfuscating.

Luke Brooks, it seems.

:+1:

Surely there's another 5000 pages of definitely on-topic and positive content still to be mined.

@pascoes_barber said in [Quick update](/post/1498456) said:

BTW if your kids were on the forum I hope they were using an ad-blocker, there was all kinds of, um...'questionable' (let's call it adult themes, sexual references) anime style cartoon ads appearing in separation panels a couple of months back alongside the regular ads for obvious financial scams using Elon Musk or Dick Smith's likeness.

For someone whose never been banned, you sure have an ax to grind. Why are you still here if it’s that bad?

@gnr4life said in [Quick update](/post/1498458) said:
Why are you still here if it’s that bad?

It's just so hard to turn away from such a welcoming and positive place, y'know?

@innsaneink said in [Quick update](/post/1498448) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Quick update](/post/1498443) said:
Glad the neg rep has disappeared .....thanks Kul

Lets hope we improve on field now

Should help eh?

Well when I brought this up yesterday I used an example of someone getting 10 downvotes in 30 minutes .......and I bet I could have named 8 of them ...some people have agendas on here with certain posters ...and this poster has been on here as long if not longer than myself ....yet only 1 (from memory at the time ) poster had posted their argument / grievance

@tiger5150 said in [Quick update](/post/1498446) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Quick update](/post/1498428) said:
@willow said in [Quick update](/post/1498418) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Quick update](/post/1498397) said:
@willow said in [Quick update](/post/1498390) said:
@pj said in [Quick update](/post/1498387) said:
Nothing's changed.
Bless you guys

PJ, swearing is not on thanks. That has been made very clear, and your continued derided attacks against me are also not appreciated thanks. Please post constructively as I am sure Kul intended for this thread. If you have particular issue with me, take it up with me privately.

I thought you handed in your badge willow? you were going pretty hard in the paint against Kul at one point recently.

That's a separate issue. The forum has changed somewhat over the years and has always relied on moderation as not everyone who joins on here, respects or plays by the rules. As an FYI when someone is banned, a reason is given and despite what some people on here may think about me, I can justify every permanent banning I've ever issued. Having said that, I'm not the only one responsible for that. We attempted to relax our stance earlier this year as some users started to swear more and more frequently, but that didn't work - members complained that it was degrading threads, and we (the moderation team) agreed so we went back to sticking with the rules as they currently are. We don't want this place turning into the forums on LU, that would really drive members away. We sought support from Kul, but he hasn't responded to us for reasons unknown. I'm sure he's busy with other things though and is enjoying life in Europe.

Yes, it's Kul's forum, no one is disputing that, but there has been no discussion from him regarding a relaxing of the rules or otherwise. So until that happens, we will continue to moderate within those rules. Admittedly I let my frustrations get the better of me last week and I regret that, but this place can get pretty depressing during the offseason, particularly given the way WT finished the season. It left a sour taste in many people's minds I feel and we have had more and more members having a go at one another - that's naturally going to deter people away from the forum. The upvote/downvote system also played a part in that which I suspect is something that has annoyed Kul - maybe I've annoyed him too, I don't know.

Sticking to topics is another reason why people lose interest - the signing and rumours thread is the best example - not a lot of substance in there and it's probably the most popular thread as we're all keen on reading who the latest potential signing may be, but there's very little quality content in there and every time we ask people to stick to topic, or clean up posts which are just spam, it degrades the very next day.

I spend a lot of time on here and because I delete a lot of posts that either contain swearing or involve personal attacks against other members - and some of those are ban worthy in accordance with the rules. This probably paints a bit of a target on my back because I've been on here a long time.

We have no idea what changes Kul has in store for the forum. It would certainly be nice to know as this thread has already generated a decent amount of comment and I think all members on here would like to continue to be a part of the forum moving forward. Let's see what the future holds, hopefully Kul can shed some light on that soon.

Honestly, that's a bunch of pearl clutching rubbish with a side of passive aggressive for Kul.

Who do you think you are protecting from swear words? or threads going off topic? How many actual DM's have you got from someone complaining about a swear word vs how many people have literally left the forum because it has become stagnant and ridged.

Threads being "derailed" is another prime example of over moderation. If people are talking about Brooks in the signings thread its because there are no signings. Very simple. If Wests make a signing the conversation comes back to the signing BUT what I think you are missing is in the interim, the thread has interaction and kept people posting.

If people want specific details only go follow Wests twitter and wait for news.

No racists / homophobic or doxing. the rest will work it self out. If someone can't handle that then maybe the internet is not for them or they can go start safeplacewestforum.com.

I have a slightly different opinion.

There are plenty of places to go and discuss the Tigers. LU, FB, Reddit, Demps Discord and probably others. What made this place a bit different was it was better behaved and more civil than the others.

Wests Tigers are a football team and as a result and loved and followed by a lot of kids. My kids were on this forum. I dont see the problem with having a reasonable standard that can include fans of all ages and genders for that matter. **We just successfully chased out the only female on the forum.**

Why not have the standards kept here as a point of difference from LU/FB/Reddit/Discord? Why be like all the others? So you can swear?

No body chased her away....is there a specific rule against falsely accusing others of bullying due to gender?

That's not cool regardless who it is

You know the ads are personalised by the provider to YOUR preferences, based on YOUR search results and site visits.

This forum has become boring, uninteresting, woke and overly sensitive literally overnight. What a joke

I can get on board with some of that. For mine the worst part on this forum last 6 months has been the personal attacks. I dont really know the answer to that

@moh said in [Quick update](/post/1498455) said:

Luke Brooks, it seems.

where is the upvote when you need it

@happy_tiger said in [Quick update](/post/1498451) said:
@innsaneink said in [Quick update](/post/1498445) said:
@roar_power said in [Quick update](/post/1498335) said:
Not sure why the neg vote button was introduced in the first place. Was always going to end in tears.

But why?
Why on earth would this bother someone?
Maybe if you have low self esteem and a thumbs up helps you in real life.... I dunno
Funny world these days I recall insta or FB removed likes or something similar because kids take this crap to heart I guess
Really soft

Just as soft as someone who won't back up their opinion with an argument .....or reason why they disagree .....anyway it's gone now

I think you're missing my point

@tigerman-0 said in [Quick update](/post/1498463) said:
This forum has become boring, uninteresting, woke and overly sensitive literally overnight. What a joke

How? Give some examples. If anything, I’d have thought it had become the opposite given how less moderated it’s been the last few months.

@happy_tiger said in [Quick update](/post/1498460) said:

Should help eh?

Well when I brought this up yesterday I used an example of someone getting 10 downvotes in 30 minutes .......and I bet I could have named 8 of them ...some people have agendas on here with certain posters ...and this poster has been on here as long if not longer than myself ....yet only 1 (from memory at the time ) poster had posted their argument / grievance

eggs zachery

@mike said in [Quick update](/post/1498462) said:

You know the ads are personalised by the provider to YOUR preferences, based on YOUR search results and site visits.

Well that's ridiculous - I hate cartoons.

:laughing:

Actually can be explained by CGNAT and a mobile device absent an ad-blocker; never saw them on the laptop.

@tiger5150 said in [Quick update](/post/1498446) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Quick update](/post/1498428) said:
@willow said in [Quick update](/post/1498418) said:
@tigerbalm said in [Quick update](/post/1498397) said:
@willow said in [Quick update](/post/1498390) said:
@pj said in [Quick update](/post/1498387) said:
Nothing's changed.
Bless you guys

PJ, swearing is not on thanks. That has been made very clear, and your continued derided attacks against me are also not appreciated thanks. Please post constructively as I am sure Kul intended for this thread. If you have particular issue with me, take it up with me privately.

I thought you handed in your badge willow? you were going pretty hard in the paint against Kul at one point recently.

That's a separate issue. The forum has changed somewhat over the years and has always relied on moderation as not everyone who joins on here, respects or plays by the rules. As an FYI when someone is banned, a reason is given and despite what some people on here may think about me, I can justify every permanent banning I've ever issued. Having said that, I'm not the only one responsible for that. We attempted to relax our stance earlier this year as some users started to swear more and more frequently, but that didn't work - members complained that it was degrading threads, and we (the moderation team) agreed so we went back to sticking with the rules as they currently are. We don't want this place turning into the forums on LU, that would really drive members away. We sought support from Kul, but he hasn't responded to us for reasons unknown. I'm sure he's busy with other things though and is enjoying life in Europe.

Yes, it's Kul's forum, no one is disputing that, but there has been no discussion from him regarding a relaxing of the rules or otherwise. So until that happens, we will continue to moderate within those rules. Admittedly I let my frustrations get the better of me last week and I regret that, but this place can get pretty depressing during the offseason, particularly given the way WT finished the season. It left a sour taste in many people's minds I feel and we have had more and more members having a go at one another - that's naturally going to deter people away from the forum. The upvote/downvote system also played a part in that which I suspect is something that has annoyed Kul - maybe I've annoyed him too, I don't know.

Sticking to topics is another reason why people lose interest - the signing and rumours thread is the best example - not a lot of substance in there and it's probably the most popular thread as we're all keen on reading who the latest potential signing may be, but there's very little quality content in there and every time we ask people to stick to topic, or clean up posts which are just spam, it degrades the very next day.

I spend a lot of time on here and because I delete a lot of posts that either contain swearing or involve personal attacks against other members - and some of those are ban worthy in accordance with the rules. This probably paints a bit of a target on my back because I've been on here a long time.

We have no idea what changes Kul has in store for the forum. It would certainly be nice to know as this thread has already generated a decent amount of comment and I think all members on here would like to continue to be a part of the forum moving forward. Let's see what the future holds, hopefully Kul can shed some light on that soon.

Honestly, that's a bunch of pearl clutching rubbish with a side of passive aggressive for Kul.

Who do you think you are protecting from swear words? or threads going off topic? How many actual DM's have you got from someone complaining about a swear word vs how many people have literally left the forum because it has become stagnant and ridged.

Threads being "derailed" is another prime example of over moderation. If people are talking about Brooks in the signings thread its because there are no signings. Very simple. If Wests make a signing the conversation comes back to the signing BUT what I think you are missing is in the interim, the thread has interaction and kept people posting.

If people want specific details only go follow Wests twitter and wait for news.

No racists / homophobic or doxing. the rest will work it self out. If someone can't handle that then maybe the internet is not for them or they can go start safeplacewestforum.com.

I have a slightly different opinion.

There are plenty of places to go and discuss the Tigers. LU, FB, Reddit, Demps Discord and probably others. What made this place a bit different was it was better behaved and more civil than the others.

Wests Tigers are a football team and as a result and loved and followed by a lot of kids. My kids were on this forum. I dont see the problem with having a reasonable standard that can include fans of all ages and genders for that matter. **We just successfully chased out the only female on the forum.**

Why not have the standards kept here as a point of difference from LU/FB/Reddit/Discord? Why be like all the others? So you can swear?

We? I have no idea of what or who you are talking about. To be honest I don't care. What's gender got to do with footy chat? Stop making drama where there is none.

@tigerman-0 said in [Quick update](/post/1498463) said:

Woke?

With respect mate, you have been here for 2 months, what a lot of us are discussing is how to get it back to how it was 12 months ago.

Maybe its COVID?

@innsaneink said in [Quick update](/post/1498467) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Quick update](/post/1498451) said:
@innsaneink said in [Quick update](/post/1498445) said:
@roar_power said in [Quick update](/post/1498335) said:
Not sure why the neg vote button was introduced in the first place. Was always going to end in tears.

But why?
Why on earth would this bother someone?
Maybe if you have low self esteem and a thumbs up helps you in real life.... I dunno
Funny world these days I recall insta or FB removed likes or something similar because kids take this crap to heart I guess
Really soft

Just as soft as someone who won't back up their opinion with an argument .....or reason why they disagree .....anyway it's gone now

I think you're missing my point

OK ....must be having a dumb moment ....your point

If the neg rep is used correctly or modified it's ok ......but it wasn't ....certain posters and their group literally were downvoting posters because they didn't like them

In my opinion that wasn't what the neg rep was designed for ....bring the neg rep back ...add the posters name and a notification as well ...simples

@tiger5150 said in [Quick update](/post/1498469) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Quick update](/post/1498460) said:

Should help eh?

eggs zachery

Sorry ....

@pascoes_barber said in [Quick update](/post/1498470) said:
@mike said in [Quick update](/post/1498462) said:

Well that's ridiculous - I hate cartoons.

:laughing:

Actually can be explained by CGNAT and a mobile device absent an ad-blocker; never saw them on the laptop.

They are personalised by device. The provider doesn’t know who you are but it knows your device. They know what device it is, the browser you use the screen resolution and a few other metrics. From that they generate an ID hash. They generate that every time. They check the databases and when the ID hash matches they send advertisements based on what they have tracked for that device.

I don't understand why we're removing the thumb up/down buttons.
Thought it was just agreeing/disagreeing with a post.
What rep is there to gain or lose?

Latest posts

Back