Rankin Released...Official..

@ said:
I thought we should have kept Sirro and Taupau. We let these guys go in the hope that we'd keep the big 4 and they would lead us to become a top team. Taupau was already clearly a gun and Sirro's defence was great.

Hopefully we've learnt from those poor decisions.

Sirro was a great defender????? What the hell are you talking about he was a horrible defender for someone who walks so tall! If anyone his size rand hard in his general direction he was useless!

KingBrooks nails it there. JT let two players that we should have kept go and there was no reason to let them go. When you add JAC it shows how poor our retention has been recently.

@ said:
@ said:
I thought we should have kept Sirro and Taupau. We let these guys go in the hope that we'd keep the big 4 and they would lead us to become a top team. Taupau was already clearly a gun and Sirro's defence was great.

Hopefully we've learnt from those poor decisions.

Sirro was a great defender????? What the hell are you talking about he was a horrible defender for someone who walks so tall! If anyone his size rand hard in his general direction he was useless!

He could hit and hit well. Sometimes he misread the plays but he was a good defender.

We're clearly in the midst of a losing streak with some of the pining and selective memory going on in here.

Tapau wanted 600k, which not long ago was big money for a forward, and much more than the club could afford. Not to mention he was suspended every 3rd week. To boot, he was crap last year at Manly. Didn't see anyone on here wishing for him then. Wait, Manly on the whole were crap. This year is genuinely the first year he's fulfilled his potential.

JAC wasn't played because of 2nd tier salary cap, from memory. Poor decision to choose Rankin over him for squad purposes. The reason he left wasn't because Rankin got the starts…that's a forum myth. Melbourne offered better money and even if they didn't, it's Melbourne. Of course you'd leave us to go them. Another one, with Koro, we let get away.

And Sirro. Sirro?! Really?! The guy has been as average this year as he was with us. The stats show it and his in-game performance shows it. Don't let a good showing against Newcastle fool you. Don't let tries scored fool you, like it does for some radio and tv types who don't watch the game. No, he's not the answer. Never has been, never will be.

@ said:
@ said:
Appreciate his effort, but he's out of his depth in the NRL. Best of the luck in the ESL

Not sure about your opinion of NRL being superior to ESL. Dont forget Warrington and Wigan beat NRL sides easily enough in the World club challenge, and both those clubs are struggling well down the League ladder at the moment, so they are nowhere near the best sides this season. You are listening to the Aussie comentators too much, who seem to have a poor opinion of ESL. I watch all the NRL games on TV and there is not a great deal between both leagues, with the Aussies just shading it at the top. But not much in it at all. At one time the Aussies used to come to England for retirement, but these days they come here and then go back to Australia and play again, so they must be coming back better players.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. NRL is far superior to ESL in my opinion

@ said:
We're clearly in the midst of a losing streak with some of the pining and selective memory going on in here.

Tapau wanted 600k, which not long ago was big money for a forward, and much more than the club could afford. Not to mention he was suspended every 3rd week. To boot, he was crap last year at Manly. Didn't see anyone on here wishing for him then. Wait, Manly on the whole were crap. This year is genuinely the first year he's fulfilled his potential.

JAC wasn't played because of 2nd tier salary cap, from memory. Poor decision to choose Rankin over him for squad purposes. The reason he left wasn't because Rankin got the starts…that's a forum myth. Melbourne offered better money and even if they didn't, it's Melbourne. Of course you'd leave us to go them. Another one, with Koro, we let get away.

And Sirro. Sirro?! Really?! The guy has been as average this year as he was with us. The stats show it and his in-game performance shows it. Don't let a good showing against Newcastle fool you. Don't let tries scored fool you, like it does for some radio and tv types who don't watch the game. No, he's not the answer. Never has been, never will be.

The issue with Sironen is we let him go and didn't replace him in a position we were suspect in. I'm not saying Sironen has been amazing this year but he has been decent and to be honest probably better than any of our backrow. Had we had him then we wouldn't of had to have games with Edwards and Lovett playing and offering zilch. At least if you hit Siro there is a chance he may sneak through. We have various backrow options who you just hope don't lose the ball or be driven back.

Letting Taupau go was a huge mistake. Don't know how anyone can dispute that. I fail to believe in a weak roster that finding 600k for your most powerful ans dynamic player isn't a good decision. He also wasnt bad last year, juat sisnt make as many linebreaks etc. I am sure he still had more impact on a game than any of our forwards.

@ said:

Never will be, is a big statement, and you are wrong about this year, both Taupau and Sirro have played well this season. Sirro has improved out of sight since the early rounds of this season, and even though I was one who was pleased to see him go, from what I've seen this year of Manly, I was wrong
Barrett deserves a lot of credit for his coaching this season.

I honestly don't get how anyone can suggest letting Taupau go was a good decision. If we are being honest in relation to our squad Sirro would walk into that left edge spot.

I also think the line that players leave us to go to Melbourne just because they are Melbourne is crazy. JAC left for money and a regular spot.

All of those decisions were extremely poor ones for the club at the time.

@ said:
@ said:

The issue with Sironen is we let him go and didn't replace him in a position we were suspect in. I'm not saying Sironen has been amazing this year but he has been decent and to be honest probably better than any of our backrow. Had we had him then we wouldn't of had to have games with Edwards and Lovett playing and offering zilch. At least if you hit Siro there is a chance he may sneak through. We have various backrow options who you just hope don't lose the ball or be driven back.

Letting Taupau go was a huge mistake. Don't know how anyone can dispute that. I fail to believe in a weak roster that finding 600k for your most powerful ans dynamic player isn't a good decision. He also wasnt bad last year, juat sisnt make as many linebreaks etc. I am sure he still had more impact on a game than any of our forwards.

Taupau was awesome, it was very sad to loose him because he had so much impact up front.
But remember:
We had Farah on 980K (back ended)
We had Moses, Brooks, Woods, Tedesco all resigning coming up. If we said yes to Taupau we could have been saying No to Tedesco.

The whole Taupau incident got JT thinking, if he could punt RF that's a lot of CAP free. I totally get where he is coming from and why he did what he did. Just if he had done it a different way, we would have still lost Taupau (not enough time) but we would see Farah Capting St Helen and bowing out with grace.

So what am I missing here? What is the key piece of item that I haven't mentioned. Oh the DODO's who back-ended Farah's contract by 200K and had Marshall chip in as well! Were people seriously going to pay Woods 900K, Teddy 1.2Mil! I can't justify that at all, even though Teddy is an awesome fullback. I can see why woods particularly left, because he knows that if we pay him 900K, he will be punted in a season or two the instant his form drops.

Ivan gets it, you can't pay players too much money and have them weigh the team down. Some of the players get it too. You can pay your 1Mil for your superstars (i.e. if Cronk joined) but your season now depends on them. You also can't pay 250K a season to too many reserve grader's. I am happy to give Rankin 1 extension but I think 2 years is a little optimistic.

Take one look at South Sydney and you know what happens when you have 'superstars' in your team.

Burgess came back on an absolute fortune - $1.2M was touted. Inglis must be on top money also and Reynolds re-signed for decent coin. I'm told the other Burgess brothers are well paid too but not delivering like Sam.

Therefore the other players have to pick up the crumbs and hence most are what we call plodders. So a couple of stars surrounded by plodders and when a star goes down lame, goodbye season. I'm glad Cleary reviewed and pulled contracts to Moses and Brooks. If we'd have kept Tedesco and Woods we would still be short of a decent squad.

JT put Rankin in the team because he kicked goals. It couldn't be because of exceptional wing play.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
Rankins gone immediately it appears

Good riddance

You wanted him to replace Littlejohn just this week…

Be very interesting if Cleary were to offer Littlejohn a contract beyond this season...

My opinion of Cleary would drop if this happens, with Gamble on board we could get a player from Ron Massey Cup to do a better job than JLJ.

Gamble for sure, he appears to have a go no matter what the situation is, he always backs himself .. where as JLJ oh my god, i cringe overtime this guy gets near the ball .. bad passes, bad kicks, missed tackles, dropped balls … I know Rankin is bad, but give me Rankin every day over this guy .. !!

@ said:
@ said:
Rankins gone immediately it appears

Is this official? No members email, nothing on the web site.

I have only seen these 2 tweets.

https://twitter.com/9_Moley/status/873896733612396544

https://twitter.com/HFC_NEWS/status/872723582895476737

Taupau wasn't exactly let go, he already signed for big bucks at Manly and Manly enquired if they could have him a year early. Tigers were not able to match the Manly offer and were under salary cap pressure, so let him go the year early, like they did w Blake Austin.

But people talking about Siro Jr being a bad loss, please! Good defender? Strong runner? Yes for about 10 minutes every game. The guy's output was poor and we'd been waiting 5 seasons for him to play consistently strong football. Not saying he didn't have potential but at some point you have to make the call and invest elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back