Realistic team list round 1 2018

@ said:
Asking a bit much of ET to play hooker without playing any trials isn’t it?

It's a terrible option but have you seen how bad the service has been from there in the trials.

@ said:
Yes my team was What I think would be realistic

I would prefer

Tui
Nofo
Marsters
Milne
Thomson
Reynolds
Brooks
Packer
Godinet
Mats
Aloiai
Lawrence
Eisenhuth

Twal
Benji
A second rower who can also play in the middle (probably Rochow)
Grant

I'd be tempted to start ET at 9, Rochow in the second row and Godinet on the bench but would feel sick if the bench had a hooker and a five eight.

Hooker really is our biggest issue, none of ET, Reynolds or Benji are 9's but someone will have to play there. I would be tempted to suss out segeyaro as he is the best bench hooker running around and offer him the 9 on good coin and a switch ASAP. If Liddle doesn't stay fit, or doesn't kick on then a good hooker will be top of the buy list.

Good to see that you have seen the light with Godinet. Until Liddle returns, which cannot come soon enough, he seems the best of a bad bunch in the meantime and especially when we lack a creative six, as Reynolds is a shoe in. Have always wanted Elijah to start/sub until we have an eighty minute nine, rather than carrying one on the bench, but him not having had a run throws a spanner in as well.

@ said:
I'd like to see for round 1:

1\. Lolohea (Kicker)
2\. Thompson
3\. Naiqama
4\. Marsters (Second kicker)
5\. Nofoaluma
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks
8\. Packer
9\. Taylor
10\. Twal
11\. Lawrence
12\. Aloiai
13\. Eisenhuth

14\. Godinet
15\. Matulino
16\. Grant
17\. Rochow

Unlucky and did nothing wrong - Felise, MWZ, Milne (Marshall will need a few runs and should go onto the bench when Liddle comes back and Godinet to ISP. McQueen also needs a few runs for confidence more than anything else.
Should not be anywhere near the team - Fonua and McIlwrick

I like the look of this team as we need the creativity that Tui can provide. Even if the coach feels that he needs some more work organising both himself and the team at the back in defence, he can always rotate him with Cory, with the latter going to the wing when we have the ball. Rochow seems to have grabbed an early spot with both hands and I would probably kept Twal on the bench for at least a few games.

The problem with people suggesting Gamble at 7 is the structure which has been set by Cleary. Cleary has Luke playing both sides of the ruck in an organising manner, more aligned to a traditional halfback.

Gamble is a ball runner, not an organising halfback. Tyson's frame is his best asset, and he belongs wider of the ruck creating havoc with his ball playing, size and speed.

If we are to see Gamble get a run in the Halves, it will be at the expense of Reynolds.

@ said:
@ said:
What I think we will see:

1\. Thompson
2\. Nofoaluma
3\. Naiqama
4\. Masters
5\. Watene-Zelezniak
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks
8\. Packer
9\. McIlwrick
10\. Matulino
11\. Taylor
12\. Lawrence
13\. Eisenhuth

14\. Godinet
15\. Aloiai
16\. Twal
17\. Rochow

I'd prefer someone else in the centres over Naiqama but neither Milne or Fonua have been particularly impressive.

I think youve nailed it

Yep I think you've nailed it too! Though Grant was good in the trials also, so he may get a shot off the bench, particularly if Taylor isn't ready. Kev has done well and deserves to keep his spot for now, imo.

Who I'd pick given some players aren't fit or ready for round 1\. Not really our best 17 but the best for now. Gamble would be my 6 if was up to me.
\
\
1\. Naiqama
2\. Thompson
3\. Milne
4\. Masters
5\. Nofoaluma
6\. Reynolds ©
7\. Brooks
8\. Packer
9\. Godinet
10\. Matulino
11\. Lawrence
12\. Taylor
13\. Eisenhuth

14\. Lolohea
15\. Twal
16\. Aloia
17\. Grant

@ said:
What I would like to see,

1\. Thompson
2\. Fonua
3\. Milne
4\. Masters
5\. Watene-Zelezniak
6\. Reynolds
7\. Gamble
8\. Packer
9\. Taylor
10\. Matulino
11\. Aloiai
12\. Lawrence
13\. Eisenhuth

14\. Marshall
15\. Grant
16\. Twal
17\. Macqueen

I like the team bu Fonua is just to unfit at the moment
If he can improve that he will be a real asset
I hope Marshall can stay fit
If so he will have plenty to offer

@ said:
@ said:
Yes my team was What I think would be realistic

I would prefer

Tui
Nofo
Marsters
Milne
Thomson
Reynolds
Brooks
Packer
Godinet
Mats
Aloiai
Lawrence
Eisenhuth

Twal
Benji
A second rower who can also play in the middle (probably Rochow)
Grant

I'd be tempted to start ET at 9, Rochow in the second row and Godinet on the bench but would feel sick if the bench had a hooker and a five eight.

Hooker really is our biggest issue, none of ET, Reynolds or Benji are 9's but someone will have to play there. I would be tempted to suss out segeyaro as he is the best bench hooker running around and offer him the 9 on good coin and a switch ASAP. If Liddle doesn't stay fit, or doesn't kick on then a good hooker will be top of the buy list.

Good to see that you have seen the light with Godinet. Until Liddle returns, which cannot come soon enough, he seems the best of a bad bunch in the meantime and especially when we lack a creative six, as Reynolds is a shoe in. Have always wanted Elijah to start/sub until we have an eighty minute nine, rather than carrying one on the bench, but him not having had a run throws a spanner in as well.

Taylor looked ok in Cairns
He didn't have anything obviously wrong with him that I saw and I had a very brief chat with him after full time
He still looks like he has been training to some extent
He looks fit
I am sure he won't let us down and will be there round 1
even if on the bench

I think Godinet has been a revelation. Looks great with the ball full of energy, quick and seems to deliver a good ball. Wouldn't have said this a while ago but I would love to have him locked in at hooker for the opening rounds.

If IC picks the team on form then there will be quite a few bolters.

Id say Godinet, Thompson, Rochow and Chee Kam should all be in there….

And its hard to leave Kevvie out.....I think IC loves the 1 % plays that he does.

IM thinking this would be the side.

1 Thompson
2 Nofa
3 Masters
4 Kevvie
5 MWZ
6 Grub
7 Brooks
8 Mats
9 Godinet
10 Packer
11 ET
12 Lawrence
13 Hooth

14 Rochow
15 Aloia
16 Grant
17 Chee Kam

@ said:
I think Godinet has been a revelation. Looks great with the ball full of energy, quick and seems to deliver a good ball. Wouldn't have said this a while ago but I would love to have him locked in at hooker for the opening rounds.

Our hooker are terrible. He probably has the best service out of dummy half, but gets pushed off too often in defence.

@ said:
@ said:

Our hooker are terrible. He probably has the best service out of dummy half, but gets pushed off too often in defence.

Can only work with what we have got Harves…..hopefully Liddle is back sooner than later.

1\. Thompson
2\. Nofa
3\. Kev
4\. Marsters
5.MWZ
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks
8\. Packer
9\. Taylor
10\. Grant
11\. Lawrence
12\. Aloia
13\. Eisenhuth
14\. Godinet
15\. Matulino
16\. Felise
17\. Rochow

@ said:
The problem with people suggesting Gamble at 7 is the structure which has been set by Cleary. Cleary has Luke playing both sides of the ruck in an organising manner, more aligned to a traditional halfback.

Gamble is a ball runner, not an organising halfback. Tyson's frame is his best asset, and he belongs wider of the ruck creating havoc with his ball playing, size and speed.

If we are to see Gamble get a run in the Halves, it will be at the expense of Reynolds.

Newtown Jets handled Gamble's havoc quite comfortably…

@ said:
1\. Thompson
2\. Nofa
3\. Kev
4\. Marsters
5.MWZ
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks
8\. Packers
9\. Taylor
10\. Grant
11\. Lawrence
12\. Aloia
13\. Eisenhuth
14\. Godinet
15\. Matulino
16\. Felise
17\. Rochow

Did you consider Twal for selection?

@ said:
@ said:
1\. Thompson
2\. Nofa
3\. Kev
4\. Marsters
5.MWZ
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks
8\. Packers
9\. Taylor
10\. Grant
11\. Lawrence
12\. Aloia
13\. Eisenhuth
14\. Godinet
15\. Matulino
16\. Felise
17\. Rochow

Did you consider Twal for selection?

Yeah and even Taylor would be a gamble but i think Twal, Sue and Marshall will need a run in ISP to get some game fitness.

@ said:
@ said:

Newtown Jets handled Gamble's havoc quite comfortably…

Thats disappointing… Admittedly its also only a trial but as I said earlier in the weekend, these bloke in Reserve Grade need to be working harder than those in NRL to get their chance.

I'm not convinced on Reynolds, so I'm hoping to see Benji get a run sooner to see how he works with Luke, but Tyson might also be a good option if he works hard enough.

For me:

1\. Thompson
2\. Nofa
3\. Kev (with Milne being watched in ISP)
4\. Marsters
5\. Fonua (sure a risk but we can't be a conservative team)
6\. Reynolds
7\. Brooks (in the absence of choice)
13\. E Taylor
12\. Rochow (v impressive on Sat)
11\. Aloia
10\. Matulino
9\. Godinet
8\. Packer

14\. Marshall (sure hasn't played but I reckon he'd be fit enough off the bench and he's cover for a lot of positions)
15\. Twal
16\. Grant
17\. Eisenhuth

For me Godinet has looked much better at dummy half. Lawrence just doesn't deserve a spot right now.

I hope IC does not pick players who failed to play any trial games.

Marshall, Sue, Twal, Taylor should all return through lower grades and earn their spots.

Would split Packer and Matulino up and start with Grant.

My bench

Matulino
JJ Feilse
Aliolo
McQueen

Need 4 forwards on bench when playing the Roosters

Members online

Back