Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers

@swordy said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506710) said:
Ahhhh. The WT forum way. If you disagree, you're complacent, an enabler, uneducated, misinformed, have no clue.......

šŸ˜‚
It sounds a lot like you disagree? šŸ˜‚
There are a few things in Tragicā€™s post I disagree with but he does make a very important point, when referring to Daine Laurieā€™s form. I believe he arrived with eyes like dinner plates and by the end of the season they were cup saucers. Harry Grant also looked like a highly motivated super star when he first arrived.
I thought the idea was to turn good players into better ones? Gosh even BJ arrived as the worlds best centre and left as a prop nobody wants.

@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506647) said:
Thing with Souths is we all have to accept it was a unique position - not only were Souths perennial battlers and under-funded, but Rusty Crowe is a world-recognised celebrity and well-credentialed passionate Souths man.

Without Crowe the privatisation plan for Souths is severely handicapped.

If there was ever a motion put to Wests Ashfield to privatise Wests Tigers under Harry T, it would probably carry if members were given the vote. The issue is that Wests Ashfield is very wealthy and appears to have no interest or appetite in selling the Wests Tigers franchise.

I kinda like we have the old school Leagues Club model. I don't how I'd feel being owned by Russell crowe, packer and some tech billionaire. What exactly do they stand for?

I don't know kinda feels like their sellouts.

What's next foreign ownership like the a league.

@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506715) said:
@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506647) said:
Thing with Souths is we all have to accept it was a unique position - not only were Souths perennial battlers and under-funded, but Rusty Crowe is a world-recognised celebrity and well-credentialed passionate Souths man.

If there was ever a motion put to Wests Ashfield to privatise Wests Tigers under Harry T, it would probably carry if members were given the vote. The issue is that Wests Ashfield is very wealthy and appears to have no interest or appetite in selling the Wests Tigers franchise.

I kinda like we have the old school Leagues Club model. I don't how I'd feel being owned by Russell crowe, packer and some tech billionaire. What exactly do they stand for?

At this point I'm not too fussed about how the club is ran behind the scenes tbh. How ever its ran, I just want to start consistently winning games, become a business powerhouse and actually start enjoying being a supporter. It's been a slog supporting this place and if we had some people involved that actually know how to run a business in the modern day business world, then id welcome it.

@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506715) said:

Old school doesnā€™t need to be keeping a low profile and trashy brand.
The involvement of Rusty gave a lift to the Rabbitohs brand, which also attracted above average players. He was always going to divest at some point and was up front about it. The Holmes aCourt, Packer link weā€™re there because of Crowe. His goal was to see them successful. Iā€™d say mission accomplished.

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506714) said:
@swordy said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506710) said:
Ahhhh. The WT forum way. If you disagree, you're complacent, an enabler, uneducated, misinformed, have no clue.......

?
It sounds a lot like you disagree? ?
There are a few things in Tragicā€™s post I disagree with but he does make a very important point, when referring to Daine Laurieā€™s form. I believe he arrived with eyes like dinner plates and by the end of the season they were cup saucers. Harry Grant also looked like a highly motivated super star when he first arrived.
I thought the idea was to turn good players into better ones? Gosh even BJ arrived as the worlds best centre and left as a prop nobody wants.

I actually agree with some of what he says, and also believe some of it is garbage, so its about 50/50. But I think what annoys me, not just that post but many others in here, is the Year 8 high school thing that if you dont agree wholeheartedly, then you must be an acceptor of mediocrity.

But I also thought there was plenty in there to unpack and I too couldn't be bothered to write an essay and respond. There was obviously plenty of time and thought gone into writing it, and kudos for that. But its an opinion with which some I disagree. I think everyone has an opinion, a bit like the covid jab, and you have to accept differences of opinion and maybe learn something you didnt know from time to time.

@swordy said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506746) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506714) said:

?
It sounds a lot like you disagree? ?

I actually agree with some of what he says, and also believe some of it is garbage, so its about 50/50. But I think what annoys me, not just that post but many others in here, is the Year 8 high school thing that if you dont agree wholeheartedly, then you must be an acceptor of mediocrity.

But I also thought there was plenty in there to unpack and I too couldn't be bothered to write an essay and respond. There was obviously plenty of time and thought gone into writing it, and kudos for that. But its an opinion with which some I disagree. I think everyone has an opinion, a bit like the covid jab, and you have to accept differences of opinion and maybe learn something you didnt know from time to time.

Very wise words Swordy.
I can understand how a certain element of tribalism can develop amongst fans who want the club to succeed, and how this forum provides a platform or outlet to outwardly express the angst which comes with being a WT fan. Agree, WTF is a great place to test an opinion or to learn something.

Good point Tony, i also tend to feel that as long as the Tiger brand and Name is protected then for me it shouldn't matter who owns the club, it's even possible that me or you could buy the club if we win that $100mil powerball one day.?

@birchgrovetigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506707) said:
Wests Ashfield will never give up more than 50% of Wests Tigers and frankly nor should they. If there was ever to be a change in ownership it would come via the nearly defunct Balmain Tigers - someone buys it - covers their previous debts out of good will and then offers to buy 40% (BT already own 10% i believe) of Wests Tigers from WA. Problem is - why would anyone drop 15-20 million to get only 50% control? They wouldnt....You could then in theory have private ownership of half wests tigers (and all BT). Dont think it would solve anything though unless the owner would stump up enough money that Wests Tigers could incur the losses involved of moving permanently to Campbelltown (or combo with Leichhardt).

I'm pretty sure Balmain's debts are already paid out? The football club property debts were sold off to the developer that Ben Elias was associated with, and Wests Ashfield paid off the other debts when the football clubs were merged.

I kinda like we have the old school Leagues Club model. I donā€™t how Iā€™d feel being owned by Russell crowe, packer and some tech billionaire. What exactly do they stand for?

Part of the issue of the "old school" Leagues Club model is the clubs make a substantial amount of their profits from poker machines and other gambling. The old clubs were literally built on the gambling debts of their club members. This is the reason why NSW clubs were so much financially stronger than the Brisbane clubs in the 1970s and 1980s, because of the gambling licences that were spinning money.

Even now, for example in 2015:
>https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/03/nrl-clubs-and-poker-machines-is-there-not-another-way-to-raise-funds
>The money is scarcely believable. Canterbury League Club took $74.9m from gamblers in 2015; Parramatta Leagues Club took $49.9m; Panthers World of Entertainment ā€“ run by Panthers Group which also owns pokie palaces in Bathurst, Glenbrook, North Richmond, Port Macquarie and Wallacia ā€“ took $65.7m.

@balmain-boy said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506706) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506705) said:
Someone mentioned we are ripe for a partial buy out

We have more home grounds than wins ......bottom 4 last season ......no big name recruits .....and heaps of bad press

Why would anyone touch us with a ten foot pole with a hook on the end while wearing full PPE and being Covid Smart ....

Buy low, sell high

We've still got lower to go ....unfortunately

HI all,
Can someone re-educate me with what happened with the redevelopment of the leagues club site,
I can remember hearing it got sold for a pittance to a developer/benny elias (fordmount)/third party then deal went bad? can vaguely remember the whole thing stunk.
who actually owns the site itself now? , Building/carpark is actually worth a negative amount cause it needs to be demolished, must have come up as an owned asset in the Wests Board AGM report if wests still have it.

link to a 2012 article below from the SMH.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/how-benny-elias-put-the-bite-on-the-tigers-20120629-21822.html[link text](https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/how-benny-elias-put-the-bite-on-the-tigers-20120629-21822.html)

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506725) said:

The involvement of Rusty gave a lift to the Rabbitohs brand, which also attracted above average players. He was always going to divest at some point and was up front about it. The Holmes aCourt, Packer link weā€™re there because of Crowe. His goal was to see them successful. Iā€™d say mission accomplished.

Lot of people forget Andrew Denton's impact as well at Souffs ....

@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506781) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506725) said:

And George Piggins. Actually there were many people who wanted the club back in the NRL, while not all of them were actual, what you might call ā€œSouths fansā€. I admire Souths because of their courage, commitment and willingness to fight for a tradition and belief in their clubā€™s ideals.

I'd say the only problem with the old school leagues club model is you need a lot of people losing a crap load of money, to begin to support a RL team. When that model is up against others earning millions of dollars per month like Crowe and Packer and this other guy, you need to match them....So if the old model wants to compete, they need a lot of problem gamblers, and i'm not sure that is good for society

@chad-powers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506777) said:
HI all,
Can someone re-educate me with what happened with the redevelopment of the leagues club site,
I can remember hearing it got sold for a pittance to a developer/benny elias (fordmount)/third party then deal went bad? can vaguely remember the whole thing stunk.
who actually owns the site itself now? , Building/carpark is actually worth a negative amount cause it needs to be demolished, must have come up as an owned asset in the Wests Board AGM report if wests still have it.

link to a 2012 article below from the SMH.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/how-benny-elias-put-the-bite-on-the-tigers-20120629-21822.html[link text](https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/how-benny-elias-put-the-bite-on-the-tigers-20120629-21822.html)

Who knows mate can't keep up

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506824) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506781) said:

And George Piggins. Actually there were many people who wanted the club back in the NRL, while not all of them were actual, what you might call ā€œSouths fansā€. I admire Souths because of their courage, commitment and willingness to fight for a tradition and belief in their clubā€™s ideals.

Yeah I think most know of George's battles to get the Rabbits back ....you rarely hear about Denton ...

@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507102) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506824) said:

Yeah I think most know of George's battles to get the Rabbits back ....you rarely hear about Denton ...

It drives me crazy to be honest the way Souffs, including George & Denton are lionised for their "courage......fight for belief and ideals".

Its complete rubbish IMO and not true. This happened at a time of massive upheaval in RL that was not just due to Super League. I was in the members meeting at Balmain in (I think) 1994 when John Quayle & Ken Arthurson came to the club and explained the set of criteria that the ARL were going to adopt to qualify for inclusion within the ARL, way before Super League. That is why Balmain went through that horrible Sydney Tigers phase.

Long story short, significant change was required to how clubs were run. Business challenges were coming that could not be avoided (Super League was part of that) and the old "chook raffle" model could not cut it any more. We all know how Balmain & Wests ended up addressing it and we all know that neither Balmain or Wests would have made it (Im not talking about the criteria, Balmain proabably would have just stumbled over the line).

Whilst all other clubs made massive and significant changes, Souffs did nothing. No changes and merely ranted about traditions, "pride of the league" and history. Yes they marched in the streets and good on them but they did not make any changes. They got let back in and it was lauded as a victory, but they had not adapted as everyone else did and what was the result? They went broke, as predicted and as was inevitable. If they didnt have two fairy godfathers, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507149) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507102) said:

It drives me crazy to be honest the way Souffs, including George & Denton are lionised for their "courage......fight for belief and ideals".

Its complete rubbish IMO and not true. This happened at a time of massive upheaval in RL that was not just due to Super League. I was in the members meeting at Balmain in (I think) 1994 when John Quayle & Ken Arthurson came to the club and explained the set of criteria that the ARL were going to adopt to qualify for inclusion within the ARL, way before Super League. That is why Balmain went through that horrible Sydney Tigers phase.

Long story short, significant change was required to how clubs were run. Business challenges were coming that could not be avoided (Super League was part of that) and the old "chook raffle" model could not cut it any more. We all know how Balmain & Wests ended up addressing it and we all know that neither Balmain or Wests would have made it (Im not talking about the criteria, Balmain proabably would have just stumbled over the line).

Whilst all other clubs made massive and significant changes, Souffs did nothing. No changes and merely ranted about traditions, "pride of the league" and history. Yes they marched in the streets and good on them but they did not make any changes. They got let back in and it was lauded as a victory, but they had not adapted as everyone else did and what was the result? They went broke, as predicted and as was inevitable. If they didnt have two fairy godfathers, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

I agree about a lot of this and I don't feel sympathy for Souths getting the boot - they knew where they were in the pecking order. Some 20 years later they are fairly vindicated by becoming a regularly successful club with 2 GF appearances, but that opportunity was never afforded to Norths, Balmain, Magpies, Steelers. Those clubs took heed of what the ARL was saying and merged, forever giving up their unique identity.

As it transpires, Norths, Wests and Souths were the bottom 3 teams in the ARL criteria - Balmain would have survived for another season at least.

@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507201) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507149) said:

I agree about a lot of this and I don't feel sympathy for Souths getting the boot - they knew where they were in the pecking order. ***Some 20 years later they are fairly vindicated by becoming a regularly successful club with 2 GF appearances,*** but that opportunity was never afforded to Norths, Balmain, Magpies, Steelers. Those clubs took heed of what the ARL was saying and merged, forever giving up their unique identity.

As it transpires, Norths, Wests and Souths were the bottom 3 teams in the ARL criteria - Balmain would have survived for another season at least.

Disagree that they have been vindicated by their undisputable success. It doesnot vindicate what Souffs, Piggins etc did. What they did didnt work and is not responsible for where they are. They went broke and had to sell out. Its dumb luck that Rusty & HaC came along, not good managment.

Crazy with envy? ?
That appeal not to be sacked created a groundswell of support and was later to be seen as an unrealised asset for any prospective buyer. It became a powerful part of the Rabbitohs story. Underdogs get a lot of support in Australia, especially from past underdogs.
Sure it was difficult for members to vote out George and his chook raffle, but their survival instincts were stronger, so too was their belief in their club. I think it takes some courage to fight against the odds, stand toe to toe with an unbeatable foe.

Back