Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers

@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505953) said:
@finesttigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505911) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505906) said:
@cktiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505896) said:
@finesttigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505886) said:
@tigertownsfs said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505858) said:
What an absolute powerhouse South’s are and what a great ownership model.

‘Humbled’ tech billionaire Cannon-Brookes buys stake in Rabbitohs
Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly
November 15, 2021 — 7.36am

If it was a business investment choice between the rabbits or the WT, A smart businessman would invest in the WT without even thinking twice,

The rabbitohs should be very grateful to have found another philanthropist.

Thankful they’ve found another idiot.
Must be big money to be made from a fan base of the brainless and toothless.

Cannon-Brookes isn’t an idiot. Started his own business from scratch and now worth $40bn. He’s an absolute gun.

So, if we take this as a business investment,
Why do you think that this businessman would invest in the rabbitohs and not in a club like the WT.
What would be the big business attraction looking into the future?
It can't be population and growth, but that's where the business is.

Its a plaything.

The article touts this investment as a positive and as some great piece of business however it is actually not and if anything is actually a negative. As previously pointed out, Cannon Brookes is worth $40B, this is throw away money for him and Im sure he does not expect a ROI for this money because he wont get any.

The news that is not being emphasised in this article, is that this "investment" by CB does not increase the value, or the capital of Souffs by $1.00. Rusty & HaC have simply found their own fairy godfather and partially divested their shares. This is not increased investment, this is Rusty & HaC "getting out".

I'd definitely buy 25% of Wests Tigers if I had $40B. But first I'd probably snort a yachtload of cocaine whilst I sailed around the European isles for several months.

@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506136) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506133) said:
@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506112) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506111) said:
@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506102) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506096) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506090) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506086) said:
@tiger-tragic said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506054) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506012) said:
@russell said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505875) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1369074) said:
Wests ashfield should sack themselves. Bring back big bad Benny.

Imagine you have just got "The BIGGEST DOWNVOTE" in WTF History!!!

Get over your downvote.

If the club proceeded with pascoes and hartigan plans i would of preferred a bomb to blow the place up rather than those two.

Thank God Lee came to his senses.

Isn't Pascoe still there? Did I miss something?

Happy with hartigan gone.

And, you're happy that Maguire's still there?

Yes, don't think he's the issue, we'll see this year.v still glad sheens is there to help him too tho he needs it.

Evidence of an appropriate game plan would be nice.

Or just show up and rip in like they did maybe once last year (v Souths)

A big part of it is aggression mate, so much of the game is won in the collision in the current game and we just don't compete in that area. That Souths game we did and it was a massive difference. A couple of second rowers that hit the line hard and hit in defence would make a massive difference. I still think our game plans were much too passive.

I honestly couldn’t see Madge coaching an NRL side to defend that meekly. Clearly there’s an element of the group that don’t rate his style and didn’t play for him. To me that’s just unprofessional and I hope those guys are being shown the door asap.

There is just too many of them that defend the same way mate, I 100% concede we need a couple of guys that go out there and belt the opposition just for the fun of it but we were catching the attacking players and holding them up for most of the season.

Who have we got that can whack someone like a JWH or a JFH? Too many that look like Tarzan, play like Jane. Mikaele, Garner, Luc, they’re super league quality players.

@cktiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505937) said:
@jadtiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505925) said:
@cktiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505896) said:
@finesttigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505886) said:
@tigertownsfs said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505858) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Billionaire tech guru Mike Cannon-Brookes has joined Russell Crowe and James Packer as a co-owner of the Rabbitohs after buying a stake in the NRL club.

I wouldn't count this as a smart business investment i would count it as a philanthropic decision, in terms of business and the future of the rabbitohs region, their region will always be stagnant with an aging population,

If it was a business investment choice between the rabbits or the WT, A smart businessman would invest in the WT without even thinking twice,

Not if you make toothpaste

Toothpaste was invented by a South’s supporter… that’s why it’s not called teethpaste.

Maybe he only had 1 tooth...

@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506192) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505953) said:
@finesttigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505911) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1505906) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Cannon-Brookes isn’t an idiot. Started his own business from scratch and now worth $40bn. He’s an absolute gun.

Why do you think that this businessman would invest in the rabbitohs and not in a club like the WT.

Its a plaything.

The article touts this investment as a positive and as some great piece of business however it is actually not and if anything is actually a negative. As previously pointed out, Cannon Brookes is worth $40B, this is throw away money for him and Im sure he does not expect a ROI for this money because he wont get any.

The news that is not being emphasised in this article, is that this "investment" by CB does not increase the value, or the capital of Souffs by $1.00. Rusty & HaC have simply found their own fairy godfather and partially divested their shares. This is not increased investment, this is Rusty & HaC "getting out".

I'd definitely buy 25% of Wests Tigers if I had $40B. But first I'd probably snort a yachtload of cocaine whilst I sailed around the European isles for several months.

Cannon Brookes probably came to the attention of Rusty when he donated $1.3B to fight global warming.
This could never happen to WT because we don’t have a story. We struggled to get $50k from a fruit and veg wholesaler. OTOH The bunnies have a good story in the true tradition of the Aussie battler. The guy who gets knocked down 7 times and gets up 9. Lol

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506478) said:
@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506192) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Its a plaything.

Cannon Brookes probably came to the attention of Rusty when he donated $1.3B to fight global warming.
This could never happen to WT because we don’t have a story. We struggled to get $50k from a fruit and veg wholesaler. OTOH The bunnies have a good story in the true tradition of the Aussie battler. The guy who gets knocked down 7 times and gets up 9. Lol

Really? Harry is constantly putting money in and we managed to get the COE up with funding from all 3 levels of government.

@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506506) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506478) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Its a plaything.

Really? Harry is constantly putting money in and we managed to get the COE up with funding from all 3 levels of government.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful of Harry or the three levels of government. But what exactly motivated them to contribute? I don’t know how much Harry contributes annually I’m guessing somewhere around $100-$200k? There’s a reason why it’s not higher. The government funding has any number of motives underpinning it. I only mention how much better we could do if we had a feasible story with a more cohesive administration.

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506531) said:
@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506506) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Its a plaything.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful of Harry or the three levels of government. But what exactly motivated them to contribute? I don’t know how much Harry contributes annually I’m guessing somewhere around $100-$200k? There’s a reason why it’s not higher. The government funding has any number of motives underpinning it. I only mention how much better we could do if we had a feasible story with a more cohesive administration.

What makes you think that is the figure? How much do you think he should be contibuting?

@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506534) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506531) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Its a plaything.

What makes you think that is the figure? How much do you think he should be contibuting?

I don’t know and I don’t really care how much Harry donates to the club. I’m just saying the club could make it a lot easier for people to support them financially. If you think we’re doing ok then I’m fine with your view, but it’s not a view I share.

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506543) said:
@cochise said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506534) said:

Adam Pengilly
By Adam Pengilly

Its a plaything.

I don’t know and I don’t really care how much Harry donates to the club. I’m just saying the club could make it a lot easier for people to support them financially. If you think we’re doing ok then I’m fine with your view, but it’s not a view I share.

I think we are doing ok on that side of things, we need to improve the football side of things.

@tiger-tragic said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506576) said:
If ever there was a (supposedly) professional sporting club that is ripe for the picking by an intelligently led (i.e. NOT Benny Elias) private consortium, it's the current Wests Tigers NRL franchise.

It is, in my opinion, appallingly led by Chairman Mouth (Lee H), Pascoe and the Wests Magpies dominated board.

The Balmain Tigers influence is tokenistic and marginal due, in no small part, to the effort of the Backdoor specialist and his wish for quick dollars with no due diligence or substantive planning over the Balmain Leagues Club site. The current rot of the WT brand started right there.

I sense the same complacency from some of our (supposedly) better credentialed players (Tamou, Brooks, Nofoaluma, Doueihi); that inevitably something will change and the club will be successful, without accepting their role in making it happen. Just take the unbridled enthusiasm and effort, week in and week out, of Daine Laurie, a "newby" to the club. To me, it stood out. I just hope that he is not worn down by the comfort and complacency of the others.

Then we had the farce that was the decision to re-employ Tim Sheens in some "coaching coordination" role at about the same time as the future of Maguire, as head NRL coach, was being played out in an already emboldened media due to the Fox Sports WT doco (what a smart decision that was. NOT!!!) in a process coordinated by Pascoe and pre-empted regularly (I could say leaked to selected media) by, I suspect, our supremo in Chairman Mouth.

And then of course, most recently, the trumpeted return of one Benji Marshall to, as some on here would have us believe, inspire the best out of our latent talent by doing .... what, exactly? It sure as hell can't be improving defence, as he was, effectively, a turnstyle in defence. It can't be about game management as he rarely displayed it, preferring to be the hero of the miracle play which, invariably ended up with yet another embarrassing pass, or kick or fumble or some ad-hoc stupidity that left us all scratching our heads and questioning why we pay membership dollars.

And then, of course, the strategic and forward-looking leadership and board of the Wests Tigers club have decided that our future in an evolving, uncertain and dynamic professional sporting landscape is best served by resurrecting the careers of Sheens, McDonnell and Marshall to assist us to that next level of achievement.

Inspirational? No. Unfathomable.

For all of the opinions I've listed above, I think the problems of Wests Tigers in their current form are, pretty much, insurmountable. I genuinely hope that the club is taken over by a private consortium (NOT involving Backdoor Benny) and, if necessary, relocated to Perth or somewhere where they can genuinely forge a new identity free from the parochial and debilitating shackles of a reluctant and ill-conceived merger of two former giants of the code.

But yet, in my own blind faith and likely stupidity, I have already parted with my cash to renew my multiple Platinum memberships for 2022.

Maybe I am as deluded as some of fellow WTF mob.

Just too much in this that I disagree with to really unpack.

@tiger-tragic said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506583) said:
Hmmm.. complacency extends to the WTF when confronted with differing opinions!! But, all good. I'm ok with what I wrote.

Complacency? I just disagree with you.

Thing with Souths is we all have to accept it was a unique position - not only were Souths perennial battlers and under-funded, but Rusty Crowe is a world-recognised celebrity and well-credentialed passionate Souths man.

Without Crowe the privatisation plan for Souths is severely handicapped.

If there was ever a motion put to Wests Ashfield to privatise Wests Tigers under Harry T, it would probably carry if members were given the vote. The issue is that Wests Ashfield is very wealthy and appears to have no interest or appetite in selling the Wests Tigers franchise.

Someone mentioned we are ripe for a partial buy out

We have more home grounds than wins ......bottom 4 last season ......no big name recruits .....and heaps of bad press

Why would anyone touch us with a ten foot pole with a hook on the end while wearing full PPE and being Covid Smart ....

@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506705) said:

We have more home grounds than wins ......bottom 4 last season ......no big name recruits .....and heaps of bad press

Why would anyone touch us with a ten foot pole with a hook on the end while wearing full PPE and being Covid Smart ....

Buy low, sell high

Wests Ashfield will never give up more than 50% of Wests Tigers and frankly nor should they. If there was ever to be a change in ownership it would come via the nearly defunct Balmain Tigers - someone buys it - covers their previous debts out of good will and then offers to buy 40% (BT already own 10% i believe) of Wests Tigers from WA. Problem is - why would anyone drop 15-20 million to get only 50% control? They wouldnt....You could then in theory have private ownership of half wests tigers (and all BT). Dont think it would solve anything though unless the owner would stump up enough money that Wests Tigers could incur the losses involved of moving permanently to Campbelltown (or combo with Leichhardt).

Ahhhh. The WT forum way. If you disagree, you're complacent, an enabler, uneducated, misinformed, have no clue.......

@balmain-boy said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506706) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506705) said:

Buy low, sell high

Perfect time to buy.
This club needs the accountability that only comes with privatisation

Back