Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers

@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507209) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507149) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507102) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506824) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506781) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506725) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506715) said:
@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506647) said:
Thing with Souths is we all have to accept it was a unique position - not only were Souths perennial battlers and under-funded, but Rusty Crowe is a world-recognised celebrity and well-credentialed passionate Souths man.

Without Crowe the privatisation plan for Souths is severely handicapped.

If there was ever a motion put to Wests Ashfield to privatise Wests Tigers under Harry T, it would probably carry if members were given the vote. The issue is that Wests Ashfield is very wealthy and appears to have no interest or appetite in selling the Wests Tigers franchise.

I kinda like we have the old school Leagues Club model. I don't how I'd feel being owned by Russell crowe, packer and some tech billionaire. What exactly do they stand for?

I don't know kinda feels like their sellouts.

What's next foreign ownership like the a league.

Old school doesn’t need to be keeping a low profile and trashy brand.
The involvement of Rusty gave a lift to the Rabbitohs brand, which also attracted above average players. He was always going to divest at some point and was up front about it. The Holmes aCourt, Packer link we’re there because of Crowe. His goal was to see them successful. I’d say mission accomplished.

Lot of people forget Andrew Denton's impact as well at Souffs ....

And George Piggins. Actually there were many people who wanted the club back in the NRL, while not all of them were actual, what you might call “Souths fans”. I admire Souths because of their courage, commitment and willingness to fight for a tradition and belief in their club’s ideals.

Yeah I think most know of George's battles to get the Rabbits back ....you rarely hear about Denton ...

It drives me crazy to be honest the way Souffs, including George & Denton are lionised for their "courage......fight for belief and ideals".

Its complete rubbish IMO and not true. This happened at a time of massive upheaval in RL that was not just due to Super League. I was in the members meeting at Balmain in (I think) 1994 when John Quayle & Ken Arthurson came to the club and explained the set of criteria that the ARL were going to adopt to qualify for inclusion within the ARL, way before Super League. That is why Balmain went through that horrible Sydney Tigers phase.

Long story short, significant change was required to how clubs were run. Business challenges were coming that could not be avoided (Super League was part of that) and the old "chook raffle" model could not cut it any more. We all know how Balmain & Wests ended up addressing it and we all know that neither Balmain or Wests would have made it (Im not talking about the criteria, Balmain proabably would have just stumbled over the line).

Whilst all other clubs made massive and significant changes, Souffs did nothing. No changes and merely ranted about traditions, "pride of the league" and history. Yes they marched in the streets and good on them but they did not make any changes. They got let back in and it was lauded as a victory, but they had not adapted as everyone else did and what was the result? They went broke, as predicted and as was inevitable. If they didnt have two fairy godfathers, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

Crazy with envy? ?
That appeal not to be sacked created a groundswell of support and was later to be seen as an unrealised asset for any prospective buyer. It became a powerful part of the Rabbitohs story. Underdogs get a lot of support in Australia, especially from past underdogs.
Sure it was difficult for members to vote out George and his chook raffle, but their survival instincts were stronger, so too was their belief in their club. I think it takes some courage to fight against the odds, stand toe to toe with an unbeatable foe.

It is a beautiful romantic story, unfortunately its a work of fiction.

In the 5 years after their reinstatement, they collected 3 spoons, never got higher than 13th, didnt average higher than 10K crowds. They werent flooded with sponsorship or membership and they went broke. In cold hard facts, where was the "groundswell of support"? Yes many people marched that day and Im sure everyone loved to support the gritty underdog, but when it came to going to games, buying memberships or sponsoring the club, it just didnt happen.

As far as creating an "unrealised asset" for a prospective buyer.....they were bought out for $3M. A pittance when you consider they had $4M a year debt in player payment and received a grant of around $3M. Rusty & HaC bought them for nothing, because the club had been run into the ground.

Its a heartwarming story told of an underdog, but its fiction. The truth is dumb luck.

>
>If they didnt have two **fairy godfathers**, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

Hey 5150, this all makes sense now,
Fairy godfathers, and the other thing is that the main featured color of the souffs jersey is GREEN which is the color of the LEPRECHAUNS,

It's no wonder tbat sometimes no other NRL club can compete with so much good luck that souffs have sometimes. and we all remember the result of that round 6 game **Tigers 14 - 18 Leprechauns**, the leprechaun referee certainly assisted his leprechaun team to win that game.

But i still prefer to support my team the WT who have a real strong looking future that doesn't require the assistance of Fairy godfathers and leprechauns.
![IMG_20211118_122834.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1637199482573-img_20211118_122834.jpg)

@finesttigers said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507254) said:
@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507149) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507102) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506824) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506781) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506725) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506715) said:
@jirskyr said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1506647) said:
. If they didnt have two **fairy godfathers**, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

Hey 5150, this all makes sense now,
Fairy godfathers, and the other thing is that the main featured color of the souffs jersey is GREEN which is the color of the LEPRECHAUNS,

It's no wonder tbat sometimes no other NRL club can compete with so much good luck that souffs have sometimes. and we all remember the result of that round 6 game **Tigers 14 - 18 Leprechauns**, the leprechaun referee certainly assisted his leprechaun team to win that game.

But i still prefer to support my team the WT who have a real strong looking future that doesn't require the assistance of Fairy godfathers and leprechauns.
![IMG_20211118_122834.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1637199482573-img_20211118_122834.jpg)

Cant argue with logic like that....

@tiger5150 said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507241) said:
@twentyforty said in [Revealed: Secret bid to buy battling Tigers](/post/1507209) said:
Thing with Souths is we all have to accept it was a unique position - not only were Souths perennial battlers and under-funded, but Rusty Crowe is a world-recognised celebrity and well-credentialed passionate Souths man.

Without Crowe the privatisation plan for Souths is severely handicapped.

If there was ever a motion put to Wests Ashfield to privatise Wests Tigers under Harry T, it would probably carry if members were given the vote. The issue is that Wests Ashfield is very wealthy and appears to have no interest or appetite in selling the Wests Tigers franchise.

I kinda like we have the old school Leagues Club model. I don't how I'd feel being owned by Russell crowe, packer and some tech billionaire. What exactly do they stand for?

I don't know kinda feels like their sellouts.

What's next foreign ownership like the a league.

Old school doesn’t need to be keeping a low profile and trashy brand.
The involvement of Rusty gave a lift to the Rabbitohs brand, which also attracted above average players. He was always going to divest at some point and was up front about it. The Holmes aCourt, Packer link we’re there because of Crowe. His goal was to see them successful. I’d say mission accomplished.

Lot of people forget Andrew Denton's impact as well at Souffs ....

And George Piggins. Actually there were many people who wanted the club back in the NRL, while not all of them were actual, what you might call “Souths fans”. I admire Souths because of their courage, commitment and willingness to fight for a tradition and belief in their club’s ideals.

Yeah I think most know of George's battles to get the Rabbits back ....you rarely hear about Denton ...

It drives me crazy to be honest the way Souffs, including George & Denton are lionised for their "courage......fight for belief and ideals".

Its complete rubbish IMO and not true. This happened at a time of massive upheaval in RL that was not just due to Super League. I was in the members meeting at Balmain in (I think) 1994 when John Quayle & Ken Arthurson came to the club and explained the set of criteria that the ARL were going to adopt to qualify for inclusion within the ARL, way before Super League. That is why Balmain went through that horrible Sydney Tigers phase.

Long story short, significant change was required to how clubs were run. Business challenges were coming that could not be avoided (Super League was part of that) and the old "chook raffle" model could not cut it any more. We all know how Balmain & Wests ended up addressing it and we all know that neither Balmain or Wests would have made it (Im not talking about the criteria, Balmain proabably would have just stumbled over the line).

Whilst all other clubs made massive and significant changes, Souffs did nothing. No changes and merely ranted about traditions, "pride of the league" and history. Yes they marched in the streets and good on them but they did not make any changes. They got let back in and it was lauded as a victory, but they had not adapted as everyone else did and what was the result? They went broke, as predicted and as was inevitable. If they didnt have two fairy godfathers, they would be in the history books with Norths and Glebe.

Crazy with envy? ?
That appeal not to be sacked created a groundswell of support and was later to be seen as an unrealised asset for any prospective buyer. It became a powerful part of the Rabbitohs story. Underdogs get a lot of support in Australia, especially from past underdogs.
Sure it was difficult for members to vote out George and his chook raffle, but their survival instincts were stronger, so too was their belief in their club. I think it takes some courage to fight against the odds, stand toe to toe with an unbeatable foe.

It is a beautiful romantic story, unfortunately its a work of fiction.

In the 5 years after their reinstatement, they collected 3 spoons, never got higher than 13th, didnt average higher than 10K crowds. They werent flooded with sponsorship or membership and they went broke. In cold hard facts, where was the "groundswell of support"? Yes many people marched that day and Im sure everyone loved to support the gritty underdog, but when it came to going to games, buying memberships or sponsoring the club, it just didnt happen.

As far as creating an "unrealised asset" for a prospective buyer.....they were bought out for $3M. A pittance when you consider they had $4M a year debt in player payment and received a grant of around $3M. Rusty & HaC bought them for nothing, because the club had been run into the ground.

Its a heartwarming story told of an underdog, but its fiction. The truth is dumb luck.

Dumb luck? No way mate. Rusty was dragged in by the emotionally charged never say die attitude of rabbits supporters. Do you think he still jumps on the bus without it?

Latest posts

Staff online

Back