LIVE GAME Round 12 vs. Cowboys

Live Game Discussion
It’s hard to believe this when we flogged Cronulla.
We are under achieving.
Early rounds. Bateman - much maligned - did a job on Niccho, a bit of home ground advantage, and we usually have a couple of good wins in us every year. We were always a couple of injuries/suspensions away from being in trouble.
You would be hard pressed to find a player in our backline tonight that would be a starter in any FG side unless it was due to injury. There performance matched their limitations in talent and inexperience.

If we beat the Cowboys tonight the consensus would have been the Cowboys had an off night.

Early rounds. Bateman - much maligned - did a job on Niccho, a bit of home ground advantage, and we usually have a couple of good wins in us every year. We were always a couple of injuries/suspensions away from being in trouble.
You would be hard pressed to find a player in our backline tonight that would be a starter in any FG side unless it was due to injury. There performance matched their limitations in talent and inexperience.

If we beat the Cowboys tonight the consensus would have been the Cowboys had an off night.
Well that’s the only way we would have beaten them, or any other team.
I’m still scratching my head as to how we won those 2 games earlier this year ?

Unpopular opinion but Bud's showing real improvement
I thougnt he was far too sideways again and doesn't dig into the line enough.

It was unfortunately a match-changing play where Bud got the ball open-side, switched the play with nobody ready for it and threw a hospital to Declan Casey. 20-16 at the time, Cowboys go on to score 2 straight and basically end the match.

Aside from an extremely lacklustre and disappointing first 20 minutes, there were a lot of positives to take out of the game,
Luai will think he’s got Kikau back playing next to him once he starts playing with Samuela. It’s imperative we find an explosive left winger as that left edge is shaping up very nicely.
Twal, Pole, Matamua and Seyfarth all had their fair share of good moments, Stefano has very disappointing first stint, was much better in his second stint.
Much better from Sullivan aside from his kicking game which is still below average.
Galvin again strong, but has a few things to work on.
Api strong as always.
Staines played very well aside from a couple of poor defensive reads.
Bula was generally good except when getting out leaped by Nanai.
Alaimalo recovered from an extremely poor first 20mins and done a lot of really good things. He seems so raw, but at age 28 it might be too late for him to correct his weaknesses before next season.

He had a good game... He needs to work on finding holes for his support runners... And using them
He seems a lot like a young Liam Fulton, but more talented.
I know he wants to be a long term 5/8 but does he have the individual brilliance and all round game to be an elite 5/8 ? I can’t rule out him getting there, but think he could transform himself into an elite 13 or edge back rower much quicker.
That’s the problem, it seems like we have so many players still with their training wheels on, you can see the talent in many of them, but too many still developing their games as a collective.

No bro,

previous squads with more experience would have lost 70 nil.

Didn't stop trying till the end
I certainly agree "Didn't stop trying till the end".
But the Cows stopped trying with that unfathomable decision when they reached 20 points, to take the 2 points instead of going for the try.
We were down and out at that pit.
If they had gone for the try and scored, and it's just about guaranteed they would have scored, they could well have reached70 points Spartan.
It's a mystery to me why they did that.

There are some good young players coming through and they did will with basically a reserve grade backline.

Not sure Benji is the guy to turn this around. We’ve won about 7 games out of 47 since sacking Maguire. I don’t believe things would have got this bad if we kept him.

Benji will get a free pass this year but the pressure will be on next year.
Yep, I'm just starting to see the faintest glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm not gonna be stupid and get excited again, like I did after winning those 2 games at the start of this season.
With Our current mob, getting excited about anything is a sure -fire recipe for depression (again).

I certainly agree "Didn't stop trying till the end".
But the Cows stopped trying with that unfathomable decision when they reached 20 points, to take the 2 points instead of going for the try.
We were down and out at that pit.
If they had gone for the try and scored, and it's just about guaranteed they would have scored, they could well have reached70 points Spartan.
It's a mystery to me why they did that.
I put it down to Drinkwater having a poor 15minutes before halftime.
He allowed us to go in for 2 tries giving us a noticeable increase in enthusiasm.

Reactions: BZN
Theyve already put excuses in places (we are focussing on D this year) so there'll be no turning this aroind... Though except for a shitty opening 20 we could've won tonite.
Dunno what Richo doing in ol blighty other than trying to sell firewood... Hopeful some recruiting too tho I thought we had recruitment managers and player agents do these things.
I actually thought for a little bit tonite we'd get them but not to be.
Still can't play 80... Still. Can't do so many facets of the game
.. I've forgotten my point it's the same shit week in week out... Oh yeah that's right they aren't even expecting any turn around so I doubt it will happen albeit maybe microscopic amount

The little things really get to me. Like our kick-offs. Something so simple but we land it on the 10 metre line so the opposition are at their 20 tackle one. We catch ours near the dead ball line and play one is on our 10. Straight away we begin to lose the field position battle. That stuff that is easily recognised and fixed really gets to me. The old saying really is true, "it's a game if inches". We don't fight for every inch.

For me, it has become more of a case of "Let's not get beaten by a cricket score" and the curioisty to see how the younger players perform, knowing also it is no guarantee that they will stay.
The issue is that the stronger clubs are ony going to gt stronger, in every sense, and I can't see how we are ever going to make up lost ground. The reality might just be that, as it happened in 05, the planets align and we win another premiership. But this will be a rare event, not the result of a planned and programmed strategy though. Most of the clubs (and I emphasize most) have reached the top and managed to stay there. We did as well, but somehow managed to slide down just as quickly, and can't seem to reverse the trend. Regardless of who coaches this team.
Average to below average seems to be our benchmark performance since 05. Even the new players we bring quickly adapt to this ingrained mindset.

Why were there no players celebrating Stefano and Twal's try's.
Was a very sombre mood, Is there trouble in camp Concord ?

Pole in the final play patting a cowboys player on the back with a big smile on his face speaks volumes… they’re not emotionally invested in playing football at all. Let him sit in the crowd with the fans next week and experience passion (you know fans, people who go to work and pay there way in life)
I am sick & tired the way Players laugh & smile after a loss, the Supporters take it harder then the players

Richo is on the mark trying to clean out the roster.
The current crop just aren't good enough.
Our supporters aren't good enough either. There's people on here who are happy with Alaimalo, Feledy, Pole, Klemmer, Simpkin, Seyfarth, Staines, Toa etc.
These guys are never going to improve. They'll always be fringe players at best. That doesn't get you a place in the finals.
Pole, Bula and Stef to me are myths. They get regular praise on here but perform inconsistently at a level that's barely NRL standard.

Back