LIVE GAME Round 4 vs. Eels

Live Game Discussion
Aaron Woods has become a modern day Shakespeare tragedy.

I don't think anyone would doubt he was 100% Tigers coming through the ranks & leading to being captain of his childhood club. Probably would have been one of his proudest moments.

But years of not being competitive, and the media circus around 'the Big 4', the advice of his manager, the money offered elsewhere...having to also front the media as the face of the club...

He chose wrong. Of the 4, Woods was the one that needed to stay, in my opinion.

And his career has never been as bright since.

I honestly believe he regrets how it went, and along with Brooks, suffered the most through it.

And now? The very fans he grew up wanting their affection hate him.

Shakespeare couldn't have written it better.
To be honest I’d forgotten he was still playing until I saw him the other day. And he looked bog average even for reserve grade. Next he’ll be a reserve for reserve grade. Then he’ll be injured. Then he’ll slowly retire in a blaze of mediocrity.

I gather he was pretty keen to have a second stint with us so he could be the newest prodigal sun a la Benji and Farah. Local boy returns home and goes out beloved and on a high. We weren’t interested and judging from yesterday we made the right call.

Justin Olam signing of the season. What a revelation this fella has been. Outstanding.

I have wanted Olam at our club for 3 years and could not believe that melbourne wanted to offload him after last year.I found it even more bewildering that many people on here (not directed at you) did not want him here either,we have needed a dominant back (preferably centre) for many years as it makes our backline defence so much stronger and forces the opposition to channel their attack elsewhere and makes it easier to deal with.Olam is an outstanding signing

Had a great day . Winners are Grinners
Felt a little guilty was a guest of my son -in -law in the Cumberland lounge. MY daughter and I in Tiger tops in their den with a few Parra tragics .God knows what the ticket cost was afraid to ask .Endless food and free drinks ,beer ,wine spirits etc
What really pleased me was the tiger fans and the huge "tiger tiger " roar they let out when we scored the 2nd half tries .A massive roar for a minority crowd !

What an inspirational game to watch?

Galvin is the talk of the town & looks a high quality player.

The back 3 were great today. I'll bag Staines here & there, but his defence was spot on today. If he plays like that, I can completely understand his place in the team.

Olam offers up some much dynamic play in defence & attack. Given that we hoped To'a would be our next great centre, it's so satisfying to watch Olam play how we have wanted for so long. Fataape continues to not stand out as a 1st year player. While he isn't catching the light like Galvin, his development is incredibly satisfying.

The forwards were outstanding. Utoikamanu in particular today, but really- all of them. Bateman & Papali'i are starting to shine now that we are playing with momentum. POle is going to be a very steady, solid footballer- another great development player with us. Sam Fainu is a high motor, high performance player too. And Seyfarth did his best Jesus. Against Canberra, he was crucified. On Easter Monday, he was who we hoped he could be.

Hail Salad! Sezar has been exactly what we needed. His kicking game is weird. He rarely finds grass. But it's accurate & timed perfectly with our absolute biggest improvement in 2024.....

OUR KICK CHASE.

We now chase after kicks like we actually want to win the field position battle. Sezar, Api, Papali'i, Bateman & Fataape in particular are week in, week out, giving the opposition back 3 nowhere to return the kick- pinning teams deep to start their attack.

I said to my wife as we watched today- the Tigers are playing like they actually believe they can win. Not hope they can. They believe. They compete on all the little things, which they haven't done for years.

We will make the 8.
Seyfath reminds me in many ways of Kevin Hardwicke ,not because he is a dynamic player but because he is the type of player you know you can rely on when he is on the field (He just does his job).I reckon Warren Ryan would have loved to have had him in his squad during the 80's and i hope Seyfarth stays a one club player with us.He will never command big money but he is a big hearted player we need to keep

Not at all. We would have to win the premiership before I would even consider that. Even then, we would still shuffle decks for someone with the sublime skill, guile, leadership, experience and winning pedigree of Luai.
If we somehow made the top 8 this year, and Luai comes next year, the pressure is on him to make us a top 4 team. And if he doesn't, the media would be on our backs as they usually do. Doesn't help he is very polarising. Has he kicked a field goal before, won a game with a try or try assist before? Can he goal kick once Api moves on? I don't think I've seen him kick a 40/20 either

To be honest I’d forgotten he was still playing until I saw him the other day. And he looked bog average even for reserve grade. Next he’ll be a reserve for reserve grade. Then he’ll be injured. Then he’ll slowly retire in a blaze of mediocrity.

I gather he was pretty keen to have a second stint with us so he could be the newest prodigal sun a la Benji and Farah. Local boy returns home and goes out beloved and on a high. We weren’t interested and judging from yesterday we made the right call.
Aaron can only blame himself and his manager for all of his problems and his lackluster demise

No Galvin next 2 weeks but in NSW cup 2 guys stood out Feledy and Naden
Who partners Olam next week .Faataape ? or one of these 2 ?
Note despite 46 % ball and 10-3 pen count and 1 in the bin
Benji did not call on Sullivan or AJ for even 1 minute ? not much of a vote of confidence there
I assume Sullivan starts at 6 next week ? He did have a shocker vs Raiders !
Thoughts

No Galvin next 2 weeks but in NSW cup 2 guys stood out Feledy and Naden
Who partners Olam next week .Faataape ? or one of these 2 ?
Note despite 46 % ball and 10-3 pen count and 1 in the bin
Benji did not call on Sullivan or AJ for even 1 minute ? not much of a vote of confidence there
I assume Sullivan starts at 6 next week ? He did have a shocker vs Raiders !
Thoughts
It's another indicator of how fit our boys are.
We only played 15 but it was Parra who were gassed.
Great decision by Benji to not put A.J. on.

Im sure if we did that, we'd come up with 25-30 that our blokes did as well.
All those off sides were real. It was desperation play. We werent dudded and thankfully the boys stood up for each other and got through it. Parra started getting pinged for the same stuff later in the game when they became desperate.
There were 2 or 3 occasions that I thought we were about to get one sent to the bin

Key Learnings from yesterday's game:
- Our defence has real commitment this year
- We didn't even play that well but we still won due to our resolve
- I think we need to start phasing Tupou out for Alaimalo or Lobb - from yesterdays performance I might actually pick the former to come in to the team first

kent was hating we won on 360 tonight, he was grimmicing when even Rothfield was very com limentary on the tigers win today. Very quick to say Galvin was in big trouble for his indiscretion. Yes im biased but cmon Kenty have a smile on your face for a few tigers wins
He's entitled to be critical and hate as much as he likes, after all he is a paid up member.

If we somehow made the top 8 this year, and Luai comes next year, the pressure is on him to make us a top 4 team. And if he doesn't, the media would be on our backs as they usually do. Doesn't help he is very polarising. Has he kicked a field goal before, won a game with a try or try assist before? Can he goal kick once Api moves on? I don't think I've seen him kick a 40/20 either

Inane, laughable post.
Sometimes I really don’t get our fans.

2 wins in a row YEEEEEHAAAAA, can't remember last time we won 2 in a row.

Big shout out to Galvin setting up Bulas try, congratulations
Here's 1 for all our statistics lover's, how long ago has it been since Tigers won in both grades on game day???

Back