Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I don't think we need to be breaking the bank on a big money outside back like May or Best.

Luai was worth it because he's a spine players. I'm confident Luai and Fainu will make our existing outside backs like To'a look a lot better. It's a shame Tupou is leaving as I think he would have benefited as well.

There could be another back step up this year like Saukuru. Galvin could even start in the centres.
What is it with NRL, it's SPINE SPINE SPINE!

Sure, your spine is good at arranging your defensive lineup, setting up tries and mananging the flow of the game (aka Cameron Smith).

Last year we had:
Api,
Voldemort,
AD/Will Smith/Daine Laurie
Bula

That's a lot of changing, but not the worlds worst spine. Look at our backs though, we had total turnstyles at Center and wing. Our backs other then Bula SUCKED.

Now not knocking Bula too much, he is a great asset. But he is a first year fullback and really needs to be coached on positioning and defense. You know all the stuff we did not coach Daine Laurie on.

This year:
Forward pack is the same, should improve with consistency.
Spine is Ok on Paper, hoping Sullivan/Sezer/Fainu can gel and form combinations. It is particularly rough that all these new players are coming together now.
Backs, Same as last year :(

I am thinking 15th.

The thing about this Olam transaction is we won’t be taking him on for $600k pa. The financial aspect is what’s held up the swap with Blore previously.

We would be required to take on the majority of the deal. Even at 500k I view him a major liability. Storm won’t be tipping in 50% / 200k a season for 3yrs. Especially when ESL clubs are willing to pay full load.

What is it with NRL, it's SPINE SPINE SPINE!

Sure, your spine is good at arranging your defensive lineup, setting up tries and mananging the flow of the game (aka Cameron Smith).

Last year we had:
Api,
Voldemort,
AD/Will Smith/Daine Laurie
Bula

That's a lot of changing, but not the worlds worst spine. Look at our backs though, we had total turnstyles at Center and wing. Our backs other then Bula SUCKED.

Now not knocking Bula too much, he is a great asset. But he is a first year fullback and really needs to be coached on positioning and defense. You know all the stuff we did not coach Daine Laurie on.

This year:
Forward pack is the same, should improve with consistency.
Spine is Ok on Paper, hoping Sullivan/Sezer/Fainu can gel and form combinations. It is particularly rough that all these new players are coming together now.
Backs, Same as last year :(

I am thinking 15th.
Firstly, Voldemort - He who can not be named (That's serously funny)

Secondly, Dont forget Brandan Wakeham for the majority of the year.

Im hoping for a much better showing than 15th. Our Leadership/Decision Making on the park cost us at least 4x games. That changes everything

Im a thinking 11th on 2024...

To'a has strong performances in him, we saw it first hand for a very good period. what you also have to remember is that he had a stack of halves play inside of him. that's shocking for building combos. having Sezer there (hopefully) all year I think he'll be more consistent on both sides of the ball. the key for him this preseason is unlocking the ability to do it consistently.

Staines is a proven first grader, having him injury free for the entire season will help us immensely. despite him leaving, I do think Tupou is our best option on the sting outside of Staines and he'll improve on last year. left centre at the minute is up in the air but if Olam does come he's still a marked improvement on any other options we have. Naden is good depth, Feledy and Kepaoa not so much. I have no idea on Alaimalo's prospects as the last tape I have seen of him was from about 3 years ago.

Bula towards the end of the year was dragging players into position and yelling out instructions. he was also at the back when we went through that period of defending brilliantly. positionally he needs a little work, but ultimately his speed and awareness was able to make up for what he was lacking. that kid is elite. a couple more preseasons and he will be in Origin conversations, mark my words.

lol our halves were horrendous all year . Bula is a great traditional fullback . But is more akin to early doors Edwards. Ie. he needs to improve his reading of the defensive line/ strip numbers . But he obviously is a weapon and that ,like Tedesco, Edwards , Minicello before him , can easily be improved .
People talk about Laurie , and all I can thinks huh ? All Laurie could do was strip numbers down the short side , against tired defences not manning up . At just about everything else , he was barely replacement level . Brooks … I dunno man . We will see with that manly backline . I’ve always compared him to Matt Orford. As in his level of talent .
All this is to say is anyone saying that our spine last year was good enough has put in the rosiest of rose coloured glasses to ever have been made .
Api was so over it by the end of the year he was playing 6 , 7 and 9 and just basically having the halves put bombs up and general field kicks . Of which Laurie was not capable of doing anyway .
Our halves this year are knight and day and our halves next year will be an embarrassment of riches . We just need to be smart and not play favourites on who we should keep . Best man wins now !

Api was so over it by the end of the year he was playing 6 , 7 and 9 and just basically having the halves put bombs up and general field kicks . Of which Laurie was not capable of doing anyway .
Our halves this year are knight and day and our halves next year will be an embarrassment of riches . We just need to be smart and not play favourites on who we should keep . Best man wins now !
well said. we've improved our depth from Wakeham and Smith to Fainu, Galvin and Doueihi. we have a methodical, traditional halfback who will lead the side around (which we desperately needed last year) and a 5/8 who could go either way, but is an exciting prospect nonetheless. that's eons better than '23.

we also get Jahream for the full year and Api will know not to put his jaw in silly places. all of those reasons mentioned should see us improve our record considerably.

Agree regarding May. Bit risky actually.
Turuva has only signed until end of 2024
Isaiah Tass, Marion Seve and Billy Smith would be on my centre shopping list. proven first grade talent that isn't over the hill. I'm pretty high on Kayal Iro and Savelio Tamale too, and I wouldn't mind if we took a look at May either.

I like the Niu shout, but I do think he's long odds to leave Queensland. that said though, he may be intrigued by the opportunity to play outside Luai. there's enough to look at in the market at the minute that we may be able to sign, especially with the lure of JL, Bula and Api.

Isaiah Tass, Marion Seve and Billy Smith would be on my centre shopping list. proven first grade talent that isn't over the hill. I'm pretty high on Kayal Iro and Savelio Tamale too, and I wouldn't mind if we took a look at May either.

I like the Niu shout, but I do think he's long odds to leave Queensland. that said though, he may be intrigued by the opportunity to play outside Luai. there's enough to look at in the market at the minute that we may be able to sign, especially with the lure of JL, Bula and Api.

Yeah man, definately need more fire power
in the backline. Looking forward to see how
a fit & disciplined Nado bounces back this
year, also how Alaimao goes once given
the opportunity. Has X factor potential imo

To'a has strong performances in him, we saw it first hand for a very good period. what you also have to remember is that he had a stack of halves play inside of him. that's shocking for building combos. having Sezer there (hopefully) all year I think he'll be more consistent on both sides of the ball. the key for him this preseason is unlocking the ability to do it consistently.

Staines is a proven first grader, having him injury free for the entire season will help us immensely. despite him leaving, I do think Tupou is our best option on the sting outside of Staines and he'll improve on last year. left centre at the minute is up in the air but if Olam does come he's still a marked improvement on any other options we have. Naden is good depth, Feledy and Kepaoa not so much. I have no idea on Alaimalo's prospects as the last tape I have seen of him was from about 3 years ago.

Bula towards the end of the year was dragging players into position and yelling out instructions. he was also at the back when we went through that period of defending brilliantly. positionally he needs a little work, but ultimately his speed and awareness was able to make up for what he was lacking. that kid is elite. a couple more preseasons and he will be in Origin conversations, mark my words.
100% Agreed. Building combinations is so SO important.
Our forward pack ran the house down. But they did not combine, they barely knew each other. Bateman coming late added to the lack of gel and he was one of our more active forwards.

I truly do not think Sezer is first grade. Look when he played, he was a decent bread and butter 5/8. Meh, we will find out this year.

Staines is a proven first grader, lets see it son on the field. I expect Staines to explode 2025.
Yet you outline our backrow problem. We have:
Staines, Toa, ?, Tupou.
Put Naden at Center and you barely field a backline. Only Toa and Tupou really have a lot of playing time together...

Replace that ? at left center with Olam, with Naden for depth. Suddenly you have a far better back line.

Bula keep dragging players into position.

Back