Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

disagree honestly, Brooks has a far bigger boot than the other two. Sezer and Luai are better short kickers but Luai is going to have to do plenty of work in the offseason if he wants to play 7 in '25.
Yeah he's really going to have to up his game if he wants to live up to the high standards set by Luke f-ing Brooks. Come on, man.

Yeah he's really going to have to up his game if he wants to live up to the high standards set by Luke f-ing Brooks. Come on, man.
I didn't say they were the same quality of player, just simply that Brooks has a bigger boot than Luai and Sezer. you ever seen Luai kick a 40/20, or put a ball deep in a corner from inside his own half? didn't think so. he's got some work to do.

I didn't say they were the same quality of player, just simply that Brooks has a bigger boot than Luai and Sezer. you ever seen Luai kick a 40/20, or put a ball deep in a corner from inside his own half? didn't think so. he's got some work to do.
They have signed him as a 1/2 back - he'll play .1/2 back and they'll find someone else with a longer kick.

IMHO, we are more than happy that Voldemort is gone based just on his inability to kick short rubbers and attacking bombs.

IMHO, we are more than happy that Voldemort is gone based just on his inability to kick short rubbers and attacking bombs.
fair enough, as am I. it’s just that in terms of a long kicking game our halves for 2024 and beyond have some work to do.

Won't been called on much for the long kicking when he's got The Chin standing next to him.

WT are already planning for it with Sezer (left foot kicker) parked on the left edge for the entirety of preseason with Galvin and Fainu doing time on the right edge. Sullivan has been playing on the left edge for the B side at the minute. probably told Marshall he backs himself to outperform Sezer, which hasn't happened.

Latu & Lachie play mostly on that edge too...
Interesting. It's favoured because they're right
to left passers. Latu can throw a good left
to right though too. Your earlier comments
about Brooks' kicking are true, he has a really
good boot on him. Galvin pretty good too,
will be a part of our halves' game to evolve
in that area as you noted, including Luai.
Probably why we got Peter Breen from rugby
bricks involved to be part of the program

Won't been called on much for the long kicking when he's got The Chin standing next to him.
even thru the grades he's never really done it. Tyrone May did it for him in the 20s, same goes for Liam Coleman in Cup and eventually Nathan Cleary, Matt Burton, Sean O'Sullivan and Jack Cogger in first grade. no doubt he'll work his ass off to fix it, but it has been a weakness for him in the past.

Latu & Lachie play mostly on that edge too...
Interesting. It's favoured because they're right
to left passers. Latu can throw a good left
to right though too. Your earlier comments
about Brooks' kicking are true, he has a really
good boot on him. Galvin pretty good too,
will be a part of our halves' game to evolve
in that area as you noted, including Luai.
Probably why we got Peter Breen from rugby
bricks involved to be part of the program
yeah it's definitely to down to their dominant hand. I still think Latu will be the guy, but both of them can play there. Galvin's got a big boot, no idea on Latu, but as you say everyone's got some work to do. the only one I am confident can put the ball on the turf in a corner is Api, but Breen will be doing plenty of work with them over the offseason.

yeah it's definitely to down to their dominant hand. I still think Latu will be the guy, but both of them can play there. Galvin's got a big boot, no idea on Latu, but as you say everyone's got some work to do. the only one I am confident can put the ball on the turf in a corner is Api, but Breen will be doing plenty of work with them over the offseason.

Those clinics you posted from his insta look
good hey. He's coached a lot of elite athletes
on kicking mechanics, he's got a solid portfolio.
Good 2 see we've identified kicking as a weak link
and put some stock into coaching our guys

fair enough, as am I. it’s just that in terms of a long kicking game our halves for 2024 and beyond have some work to do.
I rarely see Nicho Hynes kick long or either of the two Storm or Rooster halves
It is an ideal skill but not a dependable skill for a team. If it was the Sharks and Roosters would always be playing off the back foot.
You mention Brooks. He can kick at times, long but rarely consistently. He also has to put everything into the kick just to get it going. Watching Luai kick, he tends to strike the ball more effortlessly.
He can kick the ball out for touch for decent meters, something our former super boot never managed!

I rarely see Nicho Hynes kick long or either of the two Storm or Rooster halves
It is an ideal skill but not a dependable skill for a team. If it was the Sharks and Roosters would always be playing off the back foot.
You mention Brooks. He can kick at times, long but rarely consistently. He also has to put everything into the kick just to get it going. Watching Luai kick, he tends to strike the ball more effortlessly.
He can kick the ball out for touch for decent meters, something our former super boot never managed!
Totally agreed, I also wonder...

Any forwards, wings or other players ok with the Boot?
I keep hearing Lobb is a good kicker.

If anyone remembers this guy and Craig Fitzgibbon... You can see why I don't support the idea of halfback doing all the kicking

WT are already planning for it with Sezer (left foot kicker) parked on the left edge for the entirety of preseason with Galvin and Fainu doing time on the right edge. Sullivan has been playing on the left edge for the B side at the minute. probably told Marshall he backs himself to outperform Sezer, which hasn't happened.

good points except Sullivan and Sezer hav not played so Sullivan has not had the slightest chance to outperform Sezer .. kind of bugs me how Posters here are already writing Sullivan off ,, he is a STAR junior, he came here to play Attacking footy and has been putting in big time at training .. he is a natural half , tough and skilful as is Latu Fainu from what I have seen , and Galvin has all the necessary attributes to play almost anywhere except prop and Hooker .. if they were all to hit their straps and play to their potential then we have 10 spots to play all of them in .. If Sullivan fires then he could easlily push Galvin and Latu into the centres with and Luai in the halves .. a really good 5/8 can always make a good centre and Vise Versa , especially if they have size and pace .. Wighton is an example of this , Jamie Lyon used to be able to do it as did Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler and also a 5/8 can play lock similar to Greg Bird and Scott Hill Jim Dymock , Jason Smith etc etc … a good Footy player can play anywhere , and Benji will pick the best 17 and I am absolutely here for it !! 🥰😙😁

Totally agreed, I also wonder...

Any forwards, wings or other players ok with the Boot?
I keep hearing Lobb is a good kicker.

If anyone remembers this guy and Craig Fitzgibbon... You can see why I don't support the idea of halfback doing all the kicking
I must admit that until that moment, and it was near the end, that game was the worst and most boring game I have ever witnessed.

even thru the grades he's never really done it. Tyrone May did it for him in the 20s, same goes for Liam Coleman in Cup and eventually Nathan Cleary, Matt Burton, Sean O'Sullivan and Jack Cogger in first grade. no doubt he'll work his ass off to fix it, but it has been a weakness for him in the past.
You must watch a lotta footy

Oh FFS Brooks has a pea shooter for a boot .. some of his bombs were chop kicks , his placement was terrible and his strategic use of it was beyond inept .. he used to kick it dead , on the full sometimes, when we were looking for a repeat set .. he used to fail to find touch .. he used to kick it straight to the fullback when the team needed it to go out to get a scrum and a breather .. the guy was really the NRLs answer to wile e coyote when it came to smart football .. he had absolutely no ability to ice a game or control a game or organise plays or the attack .. he used to go missing in the red zone consistently whenever we needed a half to step up .. I cannot believe Sheens hadn’t seen enough in the 10 years preceding his arrival to know Brooks was not up to it .. it leads me to believe sheens did Zero research into the team before signing on for another payday , which he ended up getting , again … Moley carries on as though Sheens was hard done by , FFS he was extremely well paid and imo he really didn’t care that much .. his planning last year was disjointed and the selections of Talau and Kepoa and the positional changes were non sensical , showing a distinct lack of care .. anyway , Brooks had gone to Manly , I wish him well as he has always looked to be a terrific person , a lovely young man but he just was not what this club needed to achieve success on the football field ..
and breathe. let’s focus on the topic at hand.

all I said was Brooks had a big boot and no one in our halves stocks at the minute (I believe) can kick a ball as far. I’m acutely aware of his inability to kick well when on the attack and his inability to organise. none of that is up for debate.

we won’t miss him, but we do need someone to kick long so we can build pressure.

and breathe. let’s focus on the topic at hand.

all I said was Brooks had a big boot and no one in our halves stocks at the minute (I believe) can kick a ball as far. I’m acutely aware of his inability to kick well when on the attack and his inability to organise. none of that is up for debate.

we won’t miss him, but we do need someone to kick long so we can build pressure.
I’m a Brooks fan, I don’t believe he was near as bad as most supporters made him out to be.
But he’s gone I’ve moved on and if we are being fair dinkum, most of Brooks long kicks found opposing players on the full, very rarely found space.
We would be better off if shorter kicks find the grass, rather than long kicks constantly finding opposing players on the full.
Also his attacking kicks and high balls such as cross field kicks were generally either too long or misdirected, very rarely give our own players a reasonably opportunity to contest the high ball.

Staff online

Back