Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Oh FFS Brooks has a pea shooter for a boot .. some of his bombs were chop kicks , his placement was terrible and his strategic use of it was beyond inept .. he used to kick it dead , on the full sometimes, when we were looking for a repeat set .. he used to fail to find touch .. he used to kick it straight to the fullback when the team needed it to go out to get a scrum and a breather .. the guy was really the NRLs answer to wile e coyote when it came to smart football .. he had absolutely no ability to ice a game or control a game or organise plays or the attack .. he used to go missing in the red zone consistently whenever we needed a half to step up .. I cannot believe Sheens hadn’t seen enough in the 10 years preceding his arrival to know Brooks was not up to it .. it leads me to believe sheens did Zero research into the team before signing on for another payday , which he ended up getting , again … Moley carries on as though Sheens was hard done by , FFS he was extremely well paid and imo he really didn’t care that much .. his planning last year was disjointed and the selections of Talau and Kepoa and the positional changes were non sensical , showing a distinct lack of care .. anyway , Brooks had gone to Manly , I wish him well as he has always looked to be a terrific person , a lovely young man but he just was not what this club needed to achieve success on the football field ..
and breathe. let’s focus on the topic at hand.

all I said was Brooks had a big boot and no one in our halves stocks at the minute (I believe) can kick a ball as far. I’m acutely aware of his inability to kick well when on the attack and his inability to organise. none of that is up for debate.

we won’t miss him, but we do need someone to kick long so we can build pressure.

and breathe. let’s focus on the topic at hand.

all I said was Brooks had a big boot and no one in our halves stocks at the minute (I believe) can kick a ball as far. I’m acutely aware of his inability to kick well when on the attack and his inability to organise. none of that is up for debate.

we won’t miss him, but we do need someone to kick long so we can build pressure.
I’m a Brooks fan, I don’t believe he was near as bad as most supporters made him out to be.
But he’s gone I’ve moved on and if we are being fair dinkum, most of Brooks long kicks found opposing players on the full, very rarely found space.
We would be better off if shorter kicks find the grass, rather than long kicks constantly finding opposing players on the full.
Also his attacking kicks and high balls such as cross field kicks were generally either too long or misdirected, very rarely give our own players a reasonably opportunity to contest the high ball.

Not sure where or how they all fit into the equation, but it’s rumoured that Benji is highly impressed with Galvin and will certainly be having a good look at him in our NRL trials with an eye to him potentially being in our top 17 for round 2.
Not at 85kgs and 195cms..cld be Matt Groat 2.0..Need to manage his talent
Needs to build up a bit,and also play agaist men in reggies to prove his legitimacy for NRL
Wont be close to consideration for round 2 hopefully

Not at 85kgs and 19cms..Matt Groat 2.0.
Needs to build up a bit,and also play agaist men in reggies to prove his legitimacy
Not even in consideration for round 2 hopefully
Matt Groat was a decent sized prop who wouldn’t run the ball hard, how and where is he in anyway similar to Galvin ?
Size don’t matter when you play the game hard and smart and have an engine that will run all day.
Trust me Benji has him high on his list of contenders for the 17 to be selected for NRL round 2 and like it should, it will come down to form in the trials for a few contentious selections.

What can I say...?
Groat was 110kgs..but mostly flab unfortunately.Wasnt ready for the toughness of the NRL ..got smashed out of the game,despite his bulk
Do u think Galvins body shape wont be targeted?Risk is thrown to the wolves too early without the resilience to withstand the inevitable..and loses his confidence
and lost forever

I rarely see Nicho Hynes kick long or either of the two Storm or Rooster halves
It is an ideal skill but not a dependable skill for a team. If it was the Sharks and Roosters would always be playing off the back foot.
You mention Brooks. He can kick at times, long but rarely consistently. He also has to put everything into the kick just to get it going. Watching Luai kick, he tends to strike the ball more effortlessly.
He can kick the ball out for touch for decent meters, something our former super boot never managed!
Our kicking game with Brooks was horrendous. Whoever is saying he is good obviously has no idea….

Not at 85kgs and 195cms..cld be Matt Groat 2.0..Need to manage his talent
Needs to build up a bit,and also play agaist men in reggies to prove his legitimacy for NRL
Wont be close to consideration for round 2 hopefully
I think I am right , Mann from the broncos was 19 when he came into 1st grade and look how good he has gone , like benji says old enough good enough

I’m a Brooks fan, I don’t believe he was near as bad as most supporters made him out to be.
But he’s gone I’ve moved on and if we are being fair dinkum, most of Brooks long kicks found opposing players on the full, very rarely found space.
We would be better off if shorter kicks find the grass, rather than long kicks constantly finding opposing players on the full.
Also his attacking kicks and high balls such as cross field kicks were generally either too long or misdirected, very rarely give our own players a reasonably opportunity to contest the high ball.
definitely found players far too often, again not up for debate. but he could kick a ball longer than our current halves, that's all I was saying. his kicking game was never up to scratch, especially his short kicking, but he could kick a ball long when he opted to.

anyway, enough of that. all of our current and future halves are a marked improvement on him, but will have to work overtime on their long kicking game, as none of them (in my view) have shown they can hit a ball like say a Cleary, Reynolds, Burton, Moses etc. no doubt they will be working overtime already to rectify that.

What can I say...?
Groat was 110kgs..but mostly flab unfortunately.Wasnt ready for the toughness of the NRL ..got smashed out of the game,despite his bulk
Do u think Galvins body shape wont be targeted?Risk is thrown to the wolves too early without the resilience to withstand the inevitable..and loses his confidence
and lost forever
If he plays NRL in 2024 of course he would be targeted as are any younger players stepping up to NRL.
I have complete confidence if and when he plays NRL that Benji and the coaching staff who see him almost every day will know if he’s ready or not.

good points except Sullivan and Sezer hav not played so Sullivan has not had the slightest chance to outperform Sezer .. kind of bugs me how Posters here are already writing Sullivan off ,, he is a STAR junior, he came here to play Attacking footy and has been putting in big time at training .. he is a natural half , tough and skilful as is Latu Fainu from what I have seen , and Galvin has all the necessary attributes to play almost anywhere except prop and Hooker .. if they were all to hit their straps and play to their potential then we have 10 spots to play all of them in .. If Sullivan fires then he could easlily push Galvin and Latu into the centres with and Luai in the halves .. a really good 5/8 can always make a good centre and Vise Versa , especially if they have size and pace .. Wighton is an example of this , Jamie Lyon used to be able to do it as did Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler and also a 5/8 can play lock similar to Greg Bird and Scott Hill Jim Dymock , Jason Smith etc etc … a good Footy player can play anywhere , and Benji will pick the best 17 and I am absolutely here for it !! 🥰😙😁
I agree, You get some players who can switch from 5/8 to center and back. Have that versatility in them.

Why not move one of:
Fainu, Sullivan, Luai or Galvin to center.

or that 14th bench spot. Ben Barba owned that for the sharks and dogs.

Look we can't have 2 halfbacks, so one will have to be dominant. I was really worried we would get 4 great players for 2 positions. Meh, let it be a meritocracy and whomever doesn't perform go those extra spots.

Our kicking game with Brooks was horrendous. Whoever is saying he is good obviously has no idea….
Brooks should have been turned into a hooker 6 years ago , he found not steer the ship but he could defend , Robbie should have had him as his next in line then we would have gone and purchased a proper 1/2 , but I’m not a coach and non of them tried him at honker so who knows

Brooks should have been turned into a hooker 6 years ago , he found not steer the ship but he could defend , Robbie should have had him as his next in line then we would have gone and purchased a proper 1/2 , but I’m not a coach and non of them tried him at honker so who knows
Interesting thought...but he still had no vision or judgement of where the opportunities are,so we'd probably have done a mediocre job there as well

Latest posts

Back