Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

You think about how many stars the dogs have, and they still came 15th.
Kikau, Burton, TJS, etc.

Now they have signed a few utilities and Critta... I don't think Ciraldo is doing a bad job, I just get how hard it is to make a bad team rise.

Look down the ladder. I see no change in the top 4, except their order:
Penrith
Broncos
Storm
Warriors

I only see movement in the next 4
Knights (stays same. maybe 6th)
Sharks (increases, team pushing for top 4).
Roosters ( out of the 8)
Raiders (missing players, out of the 8)

The Rabbits, I see trying to push into the 8.. but with John Morris leaving I wonder if the stars will rule the team down.

Then:
Eels - maybe back in the 8 or 9th.... or lower, most contracts are not up for renewal.
Cowboys - Honeymoon over, bottom 12.
Sea Eagles, 14-17
Dolphins - Will rise with a whole season behind them. They have a good forward pack and lots of talent. 10th or higher.
Titans - Des is a good coach that can get the most out of players. He will know who to snipe from manly (and strangely hasn't signed anyone significant from there) and he has the entire Gold coast recruitment to draw from... 11th
Bulldogs -- ?? They should be a top 8 squad. They have punted a stack of players and should be rising... But they haven't made it yet. I suspect they will get 13th.
Dragons - dead set last. (and if Flanagan gets them to even 16th he is an excellent coach).

The ladder is so crowded. I would like to see the Tigers rise, we just have to push other people out of the way.
I reckon the Warriors caught lightening in a bottle last year, think they rode the emotion of finally being back at home. SJ gets a year older and closer to the couch. Wouldn't surprise me if they fell down the pecking order a bit (still in the 8 but only just)

Same too the Sharks, it feels like they have been over performing for a few seasons now. They have quality across the park but lack a bit of game breaking talent aside from Mulitalo and Hynes.

I think the Cowboys, Roosters, Raiders and Eels, all finish better then they did last year barring significant injuries.

But really 3rd-16th could be any order.
Penrith and Broncos will finish top after the regular season and the Dragons will need a miracle not to pick up the spoon.

Anyone think Sullivan will go back to the dragons this year?

I cannot believe there have not been whispers about it aleady (unless there has been)

Considering they are desperate for a half, he loves the dragons, and we kind of got suckered into a 4 year deal for $600K and now with Luai, Fainu / Galvin - we don't really need another half on $600K on the books for 4 years.

I wouldve thought better to get rid of him now before he plays in case he does his hammies again or doesnt play well. he's probably a 50/50 that he will shoot the lights out - so for that risk - maybe better to return hom now to the drags?

Plus if we need another year before the juniors are ready we have Seizer we could extend for another year or even offer Douehi another 12 months to stick around ...

Thoughts from smarter and more informed people than me?

No I took dogs team prices for 2025
Everything spoken about was for 2025.. including the Terrell May offer for 2025 that sparked this conversation. You also mentioned 2025 multiple times when saying that they have 10 spaces left in their top 30 for that year.

Not sure why old mate brought up 2024, if people spent as much time trying to read and comprehend instead of trying to win an argument then they would probably be much happier.

I cannot believe there have not been whispers about it aleady (unless there has been)

Considering they are desperate for a half, he loves the dragons, and we kind of got suckered into a 4 year deal for $600K and now with Luai, Fainu / Galvin - we don't really need another half on $600K on the books for 4 years.

I wouldve thought better to get rid of him now before he plays in case he does his hammies again or doesnt play well. he's probably a 50/50 that he will shoot the lights out - so for that risk - maybe better to return hom now to the drags?

Plus if we need another year before the juniors are ready we have Seizer we could extend for another year or even offer Douehi another 12 months to stick around ...

Sorry when did the story become we got suckered into paying 600k a year over 4? It has always been 500k a yr over 4 with Stg chipping in significantly.

Edit: To add more, how about we actually wait and see how they all play this year before we decide what the pecking order is? I doubt many here have actually watched any of these guys play a full 80 minutes in any grade before.

Sorry when did the story become we got suckered into paying 600k a year over 4? It has always been 500k a yr over 4 with Stg chipping in significantly.

Edit: To add more, how about we actually wait and see how they all play this year before we decide what the pecking order is? I doubt many here have actually watched any of these guys play a full 80 minutes in any grade before.
From my reading.

$2.2M - 4 year deal.

Dragons not chipping in anything.

Unless you have an article that suggests otherwise.

And yes I agree it would be better to wait - but sometimes you miss the window to transact - the dragons need a half now.

Flab does not get you injured.

I remember the game sped up and Groat just never had the pace to keep up. Oh how I wish we kept Fifita instead.

All said Groat proves what we have learned again and again for the last 10 years, The next "new talent" doesn't mean they will work in first grade. I was fortunately wrong re Bula, it seemed a shot in the dark. It worked out. Galvin could work out in first grade OR he could totally suck, likewise Fainu. Anyone who scores 3 tries in reggies has a blank slate in first grade.

But hey, try the "next big thing", Bula worked out incredibly well. Just have a fallback plan and don't re-arrange your entire team to accomodate any talent.
Galvin hasn’t played men yet so who knows but fainu defended like a hardened first grader when he came on for tonga

What...

I mean
Aloiai has been a "good" forward. Nothing exceptional.
Matterson has been a money grubby forward. Even Parramatta would want to punt him after he knocked back a $4000 fine to sit out 2 rounds. Sure at 350K he was a great buy for us, then we upgraded to 500k... Then he wanted 750k.... Parra brought him for 800k or something similar and

Ok Moses has been a very good halfback and helped Parra make the finals. It's only Moses, Taupau and Tedesco that I regret loosing in recent times.
You are absolutely right about Tedesco, and If we go further back: Koroibate, A Fifita LaFfranchi, Prince ..

Why are majority of our fanbase continuing to write off Sullivan? the guy is 22 years old & has actually shown he can play at an NRL level whereas Fainu & Galvin have pretty much only played against people their age. Let’s not forget that the Dragons moved Hunt to 9 so they could try & fit him in their side…. give the guy a chance

The ball is our court.
Sullivan could very quickly live up to his enormous potential and become very valuable to us.
I assume we will see how season 2024 plays out before even considering releasing a player of his potential.

In short no.
I think he is most likely of the 4 halves to be partnering Luai next year. Additionally, whilst I think Fainu could perform at first grade a couple years learning his craft in reserve grade would do him well and I think Galvin based just on his physique, (not watching him play) probably is 2 years off first grade (as a half).
It would not shock if Sullivan was eventually pushed out of the club but I certainly don't think it will be any time soon.
Tend to agree with the earlier comment of give them some time to play, especially the kids who are yet to debut, before suggesting Sullivan is surplus to needs.

Why are majority of our fanbase continuing to write off Sullivan? the guy is 22 years old & has actually shown he can play at an NRL level whereas Fainu & Galvin have pretty much only played against people their age. Let’s not forget that the Dragons moved Hunt to 9 so they could try & fit him in their side…. give the guy a chance
Fainu has played 9 games in NSW Cup, including a semifinal. 5 of those games at 7, 3 at 6.

I think everyone has mistaken my comments about Sullivan.

I would 100% prefer to keep him this year and see how he goes.

But I also think if he doesnt perform well or gets injured we will struggle to offload a 3 year contract at $550K. (if he plays a full year with us)

Also if we keep Sullivan for the full 4 years - even 3 - then we will def lose some juniors (maybe a good thing)

I just think it's good business to de-risk our salary cap now considering when we got Sullivan when we didnt have Luai.

That's all.

People thinking that because we've got options now we should ride them out.

Leverage changes very quickly - i just think whilst we have options we should explore them.

The good thing is that I trust Benji and Richo to make the right call (unlike the last admin) so it doesnt really matter what i think. lol

But I also think if he doesnt perform well or gets injured we will struggle to offload a 3 year contract at $550K. (if he plays a full year with us)

Also if we keep Sullivan for the full 4 years - even 3 - then we will def lose some juniors (maybe a good thing)

I just think it's good business to de-risk our salary cap now considering when we got Sullivan when we didnt have Luai.

That's all.

Leverage changes very quickly - i just think whilst we have options we should explore them.

The good thing is that I trust Benji and Richo to make the right call (unlike the last admin) so it doesnt really matter what i think. lol
I don't believe that we will have an issue moving on Sullivan should we need to.
There's about 10 halves the wrong side of 30 expected to start round 1 this year. There will be clubs looking to take him.

That's all.

I can see your point of view, but if we chose to release any of our potential stars now to eliminate the chance they might not be as valuable this time next year if things don’t go to plan this season, would mean we also take the risk that we offload the wrong player and that player goes on to become a star elsewhere.
Every player recruitment and retention decision is a risk, but I believe it makes more sense to find out who is the best of our current crop of emerging stars before even considering releasing any of them.
Who knows, we may even find two halves who quickly become superior to Jerome Luai.
The Dragons are seemingly getting desperate for quality halves, particularly with the ageing Ben Hunt supposedly moving on at the end of 2024.
But they might have their own hidden gem, I distinctively remember Andrew Johns who should be a decent judge on good halves stating on radio late last year that he had just watched a Jersey Flegg game and The Dragons halfback Ashton Ward was extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Tupou originally from Canberra was a junior rugby union player (rep honours) and then converted over to league playing against adults in rugby league as a 17/18 year old. He played wing, centre and fullback and was killing it .. very safe under the high ball and made heaps of line breaks running the ball back as a fullback or centre .. !! I was hoping we were able to hang on to him .. as the kid has plenty of ability. But it is what it is .. and the Fins have offered him more than what we could have .. and they have also promised him a new role (position) that we should have .

Unfortunately for Tupou we went out looking for potential centres and came up with .. Alaimalo .. Faataape .. and now Olam .. all to compete with Naden .. To'a .. Feledy .. and Saukuru. Lachlan Galvin is also one to watch .. he is developing well .. and is often slotting in out wide at training. Stand outs so far have been the two new guys Alaimalo and Faataape << this kid is something special .. so impressive when hits the line .. strong and deceptively fast .. !!
I think part of the issue with Tupou is his personality. He's just silent and distant. He needs to talk a lot more on the field, especially if he were to play centre. I'm not sure he'll ever find a voice. He's got some talent with ball in hand but he needs to do more without the ball. That's why you wouldn't pay him big bucks just yet IMO

This. We want people who want to be here. If the $100k difference is true, and he has walked after we gave him his start, which elevated his earnings, do we want to keep a bloke like that?

That is not how you build a premiership roster. It's born out of people wanting to be here. Buying into Benji's vision and being with your mates. Particularly relevant to the juniors who get their start in our jersey.
And if you give him the extra 100k he's asking for, you need to give everyone else the extra 100k too or else the squad gets upset at unequal treatment.

Reactions: 851

Latest posts

Members online

Back