Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

They are probably trying to preserve any sanity they have left by not being involved in reading the depressing WTF.
Maybe they decided to ditch WT and follow a team that gives them some enjoyment.
That would make them unloyal in my book haha

Reactions: BZN
LOL 😂 .. for the fans as well !! But seriously it’s like people on this forum have already forgotten the boom rating on Latu Fainu, this kid has the same type of hype on him coming through the juniors as a Kalyn Ponga, and I believe he has similar potential and upside .. he is just as athletic, just as talented with the ball and is also tough and has already played a test match, and held his own .. this club has found itself with what I believe is a situation similar to Canberra in 87 when they had Daley and Clyde arrive from juniors as Ricky Stuart was signed ( Luai ) .. Latu and Galvin and the Laulilli boys and TDS who grew up wanting to be a Tiger can set the scene for Onitono Large and his similarly talented little brother Ashton Large and Makasini are all ELITE level talent .. I think Richo may be able to manage all of this and turn this club Into a powerhouse. We have 3 junior nurseries and the Campbelltown area and the kids that grow up out there have so much potential if it can be developed to it’s ability.. I really think the Tigers are at the crossroads right now and an extremely bright future is beckoning !
Latu is a very highly regarded junior and exceptionally talented in his own way, but not close to Ponga in terms of athleticism.
I was speaking to a friend that worked with the family at Blacktown and he believes Sam is the most talented. I'm yet to see it and must say I wasn't overly impressed with Sam on an edge for them last year, but he says Sam through the middle and allowed to use his skill, not just his power, will be a revelation. Most skilful forward he has come across was the quote.

Latu is a very highly regarded junior and exceptionally talented in his own way, but not close to Ponga in terms of athleticism.
I was speaking to a friend that worked with the family at Blacktown and he believes Sam is the most talented. I'm yet to see it and must say I wasn't overly impressed with Sam on an edge for them last year, but he says Sam through the middle and allowed to use his skill, not just his power, will be a revelation. Most skilful forward he has come across was the quote.
Could Samuela be our lock down-the-track?

"He has too many touches for someone who doesn't do much with them" and that he's
"Not really a threat with the ball in hand" or words to that effect....

Keeping busy isn't always keeping productive....
Its funny, that is how I saw Galvins game against Raiders.
Everyone on here says he was brilliant so I’ll watch more closely this weekend.

I’m not getting the Galvin is our saviour talk.

Like it’s amazing he’s only 18, but he wasn’t a game changing player.

Sure we need to fix our outside back deficiencies but we badly need two class forwards. Our pack offers little or no impact both in defence or attack. We don’t have a damaging edge running forward and big Steff needs a partner up front who can make big carries and hit in defence. We have to many forwards who offer the same thing.

Problem is we have a ton of backs coming through our pathway system but not to many forwards. In saying that forwards tend to take longer to develop . Looking through all the teams for this weekend, most clubs had forwards on their reserve list that would walk into our pack

That would make them unloyal in my book haha
Different people have different needs WETR.
Plenty of people out there that aren't loyal to their husband/wife/life partner.
I could never follow another team. I found it hard enough following the same team basically, with only a different name.
Some people need more than being loyal to a pathetic football team that doesn't seem to repay that loyalty by busting there gut every game.
I guess I'm a two timer ie. I follow Wests Tigers but still love my Mighty Wests Magpies and I wish them all the very best.

Reactions: 851

Chalk and cheese mate…
Thought Galvin was probably a bit eager - but from what I’ve seen, he’s very tenacious… and looks like he’ll kick scratch and crawl for a win.
He’ll just need to find that balance and calm inside himself…
He pulled through the line plenty I thought, had some nice touches and plenty of things to improve on as you’d expect (and he seemed aware of)

He actually reminded me a bit of a Jono Thurston… not the game / skill obviously, but just that desire to be in everything / everywhere…
giving 110% on every play and trying his guts out to change the result…
he’s got a way to go, but there’s a lot to like - he’ll be hard to hold onto!!

Lomax and/or Schiller would be great, but both of them heavily favour playing right centre. I think there is more upside to Schiller and he’d come a lot cheaper.
I also like the idea of Tevaga as a regular 14 who brings energy to his team off the bench and as you say can play 13 or give Api a break and play 9. Da Silva is our future, but another 12 months playing mainly NSW Cup with the occasional NRL appearance should only do him good for when he is eventually our starting number 9.
I like Aitken versatility, but don’t think he plays with the high intensity that he once did. I’d be keeping a close eye on Aaron Schoupp as someone who can play centre or back row.
Billy Burns who is on the bench for the Sharks against us this week is another who is currently off contract at the end of 2024 and is a very mobile big bodied back rower who can easily cover playing in the centres, he too could be one to watch to potentially add size, speed and value to our squad.
Agree with this and I like Burns , he goes well we should already be offering the guys contracts now , and start tapping blokes on the shoulder as well

We will need them both in our top 13 by 2025 at the latest.

For me:

6. Fainu
7. Sezer/Luai 2025
13. Galvin

Fill the rest of the forwards with more Stef/S Fainu body types.

Too early to move Galvin yet though.

For this season by the end of the year I expect to see both Galvin and Fainu as our halves. Normally young halves are a recipe for disaster but both of these guys have very good footy brains already.
Good post but don’t think you can put Galvin/Luai, especially after the money we’ve thrown at Luai.
Personally I don’t see him as a 7 so there is a bit of reorganisation to be done before next season. And then we’ll have Sullivan and Sezer in the KOE, although I think Sezer is a one year deal.

Chalk and cheese mate…
Thought Galvin was probably a bit eager - but from what I’ve seen, he’s very tenacious… and looks like he’ll kick scratch and crawl for a win.
He’ll just need to find that balance and calm inside himself…
He pulled through the line plenty I thought, had some nice touches and plenty of things to improve on as you’d expect (and he seemed aware of)

He actually reminded me a bit of a Jono Thurston… not the game / skill obviously, but just that desire to be in everything / everywhere…
giving 110% on every play and trying his guts out to change the result…
he’s got a way to go, but there’s a lot to like - he’ll be hard to hold onto!!
yeah I thought similar being super nitpicky. he tried to take the line on a few times and sorta forgot he was playing NRL and the play broke down, and if he just committed defenders and threw the ball wide there might’ve been space on the flanks.

but to be completely fair to the young fella his last competitive game was a Schoolboys match and that was always bound to happen. from what I’ve seen he’s a very quick learner and chances are he’ll make adjustments very quickly. as you said he’s tenacious and high effort, as well as being highly talented. we got a good’un.

yeah I thought similar being super nitpicky. he tried to take the line on a few times and sorta forgot he was playing NRL and the play broke down, and if he just committed defenders and threw the ball wide there might’ve been space on the flanks.

but to be completely fair to the young fella his last competitive game was a Schoolboys match and that was always bound to happen. from what I’ve seen he’s a very quick learner and chances are he’ll make adjustments very quickly. as you said he’s tenacious and high effort, as well as being highly talented. we got a good’un.
His first game fellas, cut him some slack. He’s still got lots of learning to do but he’s a goer !

Different people have different needs WETR.
Plenty of people out there that aren't loyal to their husband/wife/life partner.
I could never follow another team. I found it hard enough following the same team basically, with only a different name.
Some people need more than being loyal to a pathetic football team that doesn't seem to repay that loyalty by busting there gut every game.
I guess I'm a two timer ie. I follow Wests Tigers but still love my Mighty Wests Magpies and I wish them all the very best.
I'm an old Maggie myself too mate but I fell in love with WT's from day dot

We aren't chasing any junior it's one of our own Heamasi Makasini. Club seems to be doing whatever it can to keep him here long term which is great news !!! Kid is a absolute gun.

Heamasi Makasini, one of the best juniors coming through our system at the moment.

Currently playing for the Magpies U/17’s Harold Matthews side (undefeated and in 1st place after seven rounds).

Also plays Union for Australia in his age group, so WT are trying to stave off them, as well as a number of other NRL clubs.

The Wests Tigers powerbrokers have moved to secure one of the hottest league prospects in the country in a bid to stave off not only rival clubs but rugby union.
The Tigers are working hard to secure local junior and Western Suburbs Magpies Harold Matthews (under-17s) star Heamasi Makasini before he hits the market and held a meeting with the teenager on Tuesday night.

The Tigers rolled out powerbrokers NRL coach Benji Marshall, CEO Shane Richardson and general manager of football Matthew Betsey for the meeting, where the club’s plans for Makasini’s development were mapped out.

The meeting was also an opportunity for Makasini’s parents to tour the Tigers’ newly built centre of excellence as they weigh up their son’s future.

Makasini will become a free agent from Round 6 in 2025, which is the final year of his deal at Concord, but the club is well aware a long list of rival outfits will be ready to pounce when the goalkicking centre hits the open market.

Under the new CBA rules a developed player does not become a free agent until Round 6 of the final year of a contract. The rule is designed to give clubs the best shot at retaining rising talent.

Already, the phone of the youngster’s manager, Mario Tartak, has been running hot with NRL clubs enquiring about Makasini’s contract status.

Makasini has been a key cog in the Magpies run to the top of the Harold Matthews ladder, where the hulking centre has 68 points from seven tries and 20 goals in the opening seven rounds of the season.

The youngster’s highlight reel is an impressive showcase of his powerful running, tackle busting and big hits in defence.

Betsey told this masthead the club is prioritising its pathways talent like Makasini to ensure the Tigers’ best youngsters have a pathway from junior representative leagues into the NRL program.

Heamasi Makasini (centre) with his father Mosese (left) and Tigers coach Benji Marshall (right). Picture: Instagram

“Heamasi is a promising young local junior coming through our system. Richo has been on the record saying we are a development club and we want to continue to connect with all the players coming through the pathways, particularly the talented ones. We do that regularly,” Betsey said.

“We are starting to see the Lachlan Galvins come through, the green shoots of our pathways. Our pathways has been successful in the last few years and we want our players to understand they’re a part of that success moving forward.”

Makasini was invited to take part in a number of NRL training sessions over the summer outside of his high school commitments.

There is a view the youngster could be catapulted into the Tigers NRL program with a debut on the cards within the next 18 months.

A year 11 student at Newington College, Makasini is also a rising rugby union prospect in the GPS program.

Late last year, the powerful outside back was selected in the Australian under-16s side and is part of the Waratahs pathways system.

Latest posts

Members online

Back