Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

He was advised he could look around for next year about 4 weeks prior to this signing. He then found a club and that's when Tigers formally agreed to let him go when then announced it.

Good business from us and assume we have done the same for a few more but won't hear about it unless they find another club and get released.

Not sure paying part of his deal next year to play at Penrith as reported in The Tele today is good business for us … he could have stayed here and played out his deal as contracted

I think it's more of a case of Sullivan wouldn't be here if we knew we'd sign Luai.

Latu is brilliant. He just hasn't had his opportunity yet. It'll come.
What Latu brings to the team better than Sullivan is his brother Samuel 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BZN
Not sure paying part of his deal next year to play at Penrith as reported in The Tele today is good business for us … he could have stayed here and played out his deal as contracted
Not even sure that's even true but if it was it would only be a small amount judging by how Richardson does business.

Not even sure that's even true but if it was it would only be a small amount judging by how Richardson does business.

Nothing would surprise me what goes on with this team …

Like I said … Regardless of whether they are paying part of his deal or not next year … I don’t really see it as a good decision to move him on early …if he had of remained here he would have been an automatic Top 17 selection each week… as he likely will be at Penrith … the Tigers are weaker in his absence …

Reactions: 851
Can someone please explain. Papali’i wasn’t off contract until 2025 which means Penrith couldn’t approach him until November. He quits for whatever reason and is magically signed a few days later. Vlandys and crew sure know how to run an even competition.

Only justice in it is at anything over 400 a season they got themselves a real bargain (not)
He could have told his manager to tell clubs I’m looking to get out , see who may have a spot , no money talk no deal talk , just interest , Panthers say go tell Tigers you would like to leave , simple , Tigers go yes ok realised from contract of 2025 , Panthers come in and say we’ll pay you same dollars as tigers for next year and neg the next 2 years how ever , we should not be payin* anything and I doubt we are RiCharden not that stupid l but if we said to him , hay your playing like you don’t want to be hear , we only want player who want to be hear , you can shop your self for next year then , yes Panthers may have said we can give you 680 k next year due to cap so tigers can tip in the rest ,

Reactions: 851
I don’t think he will be missed that much , Sam is going Well in one back row spot we just need to grab a real goer from another club probably on way less , plus a big nasty prop and a decent centre

The problem is ..if you have not worked this out … is that the team never improves overall… we get new players but let others go…just wheel spinning and keeping our squad as the weakest in the competition

Ice was contracted here next year … he would have been playing in a better team with Luia and with the younger guys improving ( hopefully) …, he would have also been incentivised in the last year of his existing contract to play well to get his next deal (presumably elsewhere) …how Sam is going is not relevant …we need three backrowers playing well…

At last get the replacement done first and then let him go … cant just assume there are replacements just waiting to be signed … we waited all last offsason to get some wingers …ended up with a couple of reserve graders who are still struggling to break through six months later ..

I asked ChatGPT what should Benji Marshall say to the team at half time after we have typically given the opposition a 20 point lead in the early stages of our games.

ChatGPT

Benji Marshall could offer a mix of encouragement, tactical adjustments, and motivation at halftime:

1. Encouragement: "Alright, team, great effort out there in the first half. We've shown flashes of brilliance, and we're definitely in this game. Let's build on those positive moments and keep pushing forward."
  2. Tactical Adjustments: "We've identified a few areas where we can tighten up defensively and exploit their weaknesses offensively. Let's focus on tightening our defense around the edges and capitalizing on opportunities when they arise."
  3. Motivation: "Remember why we're here. Remember the hard work we've put in to get to this point. Let's dig deep, support each other, and leave everything out on the field in this second half. We've got the skill, the determination, and the heart to come out on top."
  4. Specific Instructions: "John, I need you to lead the defensive line and communicate effectively. Sarah, keep exploiting those gaps in their defense with your speed and agility. And to the whole team, stay disciplined, stick to the game plan, and execute with precision."
  5. Belief: "Above all, believe in yourselves and in each other. We're a team, and together, there's nothing we can't overcome. Let's go out there and show them what we're made of. We've got this!"
So what we really need is for Benji to be more specific as is outlined in point 4 is to put more reliance on John and Sarah, John to lead the defensive line and Sarah to become the focus of our attack.

It's very obvious now that we haven't been doing this and this is where we have gone wrong.

Get onto it Benji.
I asked it, "Why am I dumb enough to keep watching this team?"
The reply cannot be repeated adneaseum. Suffice to say it meant you poor creature of low intelligence that enjoys pain.

Approaching players who aren’t off contract does breach NRL rules though … all clubs might do it … but I know who they will choose to make an example of to punish someone if they need too … also the Wests Tigers are the club News Ltd goes after … see today where there is their now annual article bashing the club about the amount of money paid to terminated players .. even though other clubs do the same
Spot on, agree 100 percent

The problem is ..if you have not worked this out … is that the team never improves overall… we get new players but let others go…just wheel spinning and keeping our squad as the weakest in the competition

Ice was contracted here next year … he would have been playing in a better team with Luia and with the younger guys improving ( hopefully) …, he would have also been incentivised in the last year of his existing contract to play well to get his next deal (presumably elsewhere) …how Sam is going is not relevant …we need three backrowers playing well…

At last get the replacement done first and then let him go … cant just assume there are replacements just waiting to be signed … we waited all last offsason to get some wingers …ended up with a couple of reserve graders who are still struggling to break through six months later ..
I was abit surprised the release wasn't contingent on us finding a replacement first. Perhaps we did and it hasn't been announced yet, though it is abit strange.

It amazes me how so many people say we can just sign a cheap guy with the same output from here or there as if it is like picking low hanging fruit.
If it was that simple we’d have done it years ago, as would have all clubs.
Be careful what you wish for folks.
If we lose as much experience as the journos claim I reckon we’re going to go backwards at a rate of knots and our marquee signings for next year will be nullified.
I agree we’re not getting the X factor performance we expect from these blokes but you cant put an old head on young shoulders

Last edited:
It amazes me how so many people say we can just sign a cheap guy with the same output from here or there as if it is like picking low hanging fruit.
If it was that simple we’d have done it years ago, as would have all clubs.
Be careful what you wish for folks.
If we lose as much experience as the journos claim I reckon we’re going to go backwards at a rate of knots and our marquee signings for next year will be nullified.
I agree we’re not getting the X factor performance we expect from these blokes but you cant put an old head on young shoulders
Greatest post of all time. 100% agree.

I asked ChatGPT what should Benji Marshall say to the team at half time after we have typically given the opposition a 20 point lead in the early stages of our games.

ChatGPT

Benji Marshall could offer a mix of encouragement, tactical adjustments, and motivation at halftime:

1. Encouragement: "Alright, team, great effort out there in the first half. We've shown flashes of brilliance, and we're definitely in this game. Let's build on those positive moments and keep pushing forward."
  2. Tactical Adjustments: "We've identified a few areas where we can tighten up defensively and exploit their weaknesses offensively. Let's focus on tightening our defense around the edges and capitalizing on opportunities when they arise."
  3. Motivation: "Remember why we're here. Remember the hard work we've put in to get to this point. Let's dig deep, support each other, and leave everything out on the field in this second half. We've got the skill, the determination, and the heart to come out on top."
  4. Specific Instructions: "John, I need you to lead the defensive line and communicate effectively. Sarah, keep exploiting those gaps in their defense with your speed and agility. And to the whole team, stay disciplined, stick to the game plan, and execute with precision."
  5. Belief: "Above all, believe in yourselves and in each other. We're a team, and together, there's nothing we can't overcome. Let's go out there and show them what we're made of. We've got this!"
So what we really need is for Benji to be more specific as is outlined in point 4 is to put more reliance on John and Sarah, John to lead the defensive line and Sarah to become the focus of our attack.

It's very obvious now that we haven't been doing this and this is where we have gone wrong.

Get onto it Benji.
Can we get a "Robot" to convey these instructions at half time as well?

So we’re having a clean out or cap rebalance or maybe it’s a gutting.
Which came first? The clean out or the players saying they’ve had enough?
Is our coach being proactive or reactive?
The scary part of the clean out , is we let a heap of players go and get no one in and the club tries to sell us the juniors will stand up , if this happens u can lick us in for a few more wooden spoons .

Back