Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@ said:
@ said:
Another crazy rumor but someone mentioned on facebook ( I know) that bulldogs will need to let tolman go

Well they have Tolman, Graham, Kasiano, Klemmer and now Wood$, that is a lot of money on props.
Klemmer is on big dollars, Graham on 1 million back ended next year, Wood$ on $900k, Tolman and Kasiano are not cheapies either.

Yet the club will manage to stay under the CAP

Go figure

Reynolds has apparently met with the Sharks but his preference is to stay at the Dogs. Based on current form I reckon they'll keep him and shop Mbye around. He's apparently on 700k per year so if we could somehow get the Dogs to subsidise half of Mbye's contract, he could be an option at 6.

@ said:
Reynolds has apparently met with the Sharks but his preference is to stay at the Dogs. Based on current form I reckon they'll keep him and shop Mbye around. He's apparently on 700k per year so if we could somehow get the Dogs to subsidise half of Mbye's contract, he could be an option at 6.

Hell no. I just don't think that guy has it.

@ said:
@ said:

Beggars can't be choosers.

Chad Townsend has re signed with the sharks. Doubt they would chase Reynolds

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

would have to be cheap (mbye I'm talking about) otherwise we will be back where we started again

@ said:

They can shop Mbye all they like, who is going to take him? Hard to sell a bucket of fishheads.

@ said:

Yeah I reckon they will definitely shop Mbye and Tolman around before even thinking of letting Reynolds and Graham go. Perhaps Kasiano as well - he's a big body, but a lazy one. There is no way we will get Graham.

@ said:
@ said:

Townsend re-signed for 3 years today, he aint going there

@ said:
@ said:
I actually think Mbye will be the one the Dogs want to offload. They will try and keep Reynolds. With the Sharks trying up Townsend, Cronk doesn't have a home and he should be the number 1 priority.

I really like the idea of Cronk mentoring Brooks.

Foran and Reynolds would be a very odd halves combo. Two running halves. Neither is known as an organiser.

It will probably be Foran and Frawley with either Mbye or Reynolds to hooker and Lichaa to the curb. They would no doubt prefer to keep Reynolds but they'll need to find a buyer for Mbye to do that because he's on big dollars. Let's not help them out by taking Mbye…

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

would have to be cheap (mbye I'm talking about) otherwise we will be back where we started again

Mbye has 3 more yesrs left on his contract, so the dogs would be subsidising for 3 seasons

Why wouldn't we play Nofoaluma at fullback? At the pies in matts & ball Tedesco was on the wing and Nofoaluma was fb. I'd also go all out for James graham even if we get matulino and packer. You can never have enough big bodies.

@ said:
Packer is a better buy at far less cost. Why help the Dogs with the salary cap.

Agree Packer has been a beast for St George. We need forwards with size and mongrel. Matulino and Packer would be a violent front row pairing. Wait and see

@ said:
@ said:
St George Illawarra Dragons set to retain Gareth Widdop as Wests Tigers turn to Josh Reynolds

Michael Chammas - SMH

Gareth Widdop looks set to remain at St George Illawarra after the Dragons significantly bumped up their original offer and extended the duration of their skipper's deal by another year.

It comes as the Wests Tigers ruled out off-contract Dragons fullback Josh Dugan as a replacement for the departing James Tede$co, leaving Dugan's future in limbo given the internal squabble at St George Illawarra over his best position.

Widdop had informed Dragons officials his asking price was far greater than the original offer that was on the table, and also requested his contract be increased from a three-year deal to a four-year deal.

Given the irresistible form of the 28-year-old this season and the threat of the circling Wests Tigers and Melbourne Storm, the Dragons came to the party and satisfied Widdop's requests this week to table a lucrative contract until the end of 2021.

The Tigers had identified Widdop as their No.1 target to replace the Parramatta-bound Mitchell Mo$es next year, however the club is now resigned to missing out on his signature given the Dragons' increased offer.

**While Jarryd Hayne is also open to negotiations from rival clubs, Fairfax Media understands the Tigers are reluctant to move on both he and Dugan amid fears of cultural ramifications at the club.**

The Tigers have all but given up hope of their ambitious desire to lure Shaun Johnson from across the ditch, now turning their attention to Canterbury No.6 Josh Reynolds as a potential halves partner for the lone survivor of the "big four", Luke Brooks.

Sydney Roosters utility Connor Watson has also been identified by the Tigers, who now have close to $4 million to spend on players for next season given the forthcoming departures of Mo$es, Tede$co and Aaron Wood$.

Warriors prop Ben Matulino, who returns from injury this weekend, is expected to be one of them. Dragons prop Russell Packer also looks like reuniting with Cleary and Matulino given St George Illawarra's extra investment into Widdop.

Johnson also played with Matulino and Packer under Cleary at the Warriors, however he admits he is close to re-signing with New Zealand.

"I have obviously been in talks with the club for a while now and we're getting close," Johnson said.

"It is hopefully going to be sorted soon. I think walking away – a lot of people have said it is probably what I should do to take my game to a new level at a different club – but it doesn't make sense to myself. I wouldn't be satisfied with that I don't think. Hopefully we can agree on some good terms to stay here and I can achieve what not only myself, but this club and organisation wants to achieve.

"It is a challenge, but as footy players that's what you live for. You don't want to walk into a system where it is all set up for you and you can just be another name on the wall at a club that has already won a comp and achieved all there is to achieve in this game. It's always a challenge.

"We have our challenges here like every other team does. The thrill of knowing what this team can do to rugby league in New Zealand – I really want to be a part of. That's what I have said all along. I have said that to Jim [Doyle], I have said that to Mooks, I have said that to the coaching staff here. I am sure we will have it settled soon."

These next few years are going to be a rough old ride.

What does 'fears of cultural ramifications' mean?

@ said:
@ said:
St George Illawarra Dragons set to retain Gareth Widdop as Wests Tigers turn to Josh Reynolds

Michael Chammas - SMH

Gareth Widdop looks set to remain at St George Illawarra after the Dragons significantly bumped up their original offer and extended the duration of their skipper's deal by another year.

It comes as the Wests Tigers ruled out off-contract Dragons fullback Josh Dugan as a replacement for the departing James Tede$co, leaving Dugan's future in limbo given the internal squabble at St George Illawarra over his best position.

Widdop had informed Dragons officials his asking price was far greater than the original offer that was on the table, and also requested his contract be increased from a three-year deal to a four-year deal.

Given the irresistible form of the 28-year-old this season and the threat of the circling Wests Tigers and Melbourne Storm, the Dragons came to the party and satisfied Widdop's requests this week to table a lucrative contract until the end of 2021.

The Tigers had identified Widdop as their No.1 target to replace the Parramatta-bound Mitchell Mo$es next year, however the club is now resigned to missing out on his signature given the Dragons' increased offer.

While Jarryd Hayne is also open to negotiations from rival clubs, Fairfax Media understands the Tigers are reluctant to move on both he and Dugan amid fears of cultural ramifications at the club.

The Tigers have all but given up hope of their ambitious desire to lure Shaun Johnson from across the ditch, now turning their attention to Canterbury No.6 Josh Reynolds as a potential halves partner for the lone survivor of the "big four", Luke Brooks.

Sydney Roosters utility Connor Watson has also been identified by the Tigers, who now have close to $4 million to spend on players for next season given the forthcoming departures of Mo$es, Tede$co and Aaron Wood$.

Warriors prop Ben Matulino, who returns from injury this weekend, is expected to be one of them. Dragons prop Russell Packer also looks like reuniting with Cleary and Matulino given St George Illawarra's extra investment into Widdop.

Johnson also played with Matulino and Packer under Cleary at the Warriors, however he admits he is close to re-signing with New Zealand.

"I have obviously been in talks with the club for a while now and we're getting close," Johnson said.

"It is hopefully going to be sorted soon. I think walking away – a lot of people have said it is probably what I should do to take my game to a new level at a different club – but it doesn't make sense to myself. I wouldn't be satisfied with that I don't think. Hopefully we can agree on some good terms to stay here and I can achieve what not only myself, but this club and organisation wants to achieve.

"It is a challenge, but as footy players that's what you live for. You don't want to walk into a system where it is all set up for you and you can just be another name on the wall at a club that has already won a comp and achieved all there is to achieve in this game. It's always a challenge.

"We have our challenges here like every other team does. The thrill of knowing what this team can do to rugby league in New Zealand – I really want to be a part of. That's what I have said all along. I have said that to Jim [Doyle], I have said that to Mooks, I have said that to the coaching staff here. I am sure we will have it settled soon."

These next few years are going to be a rough old ride.

Lol @ cultural ramifications.

@ said:
Seeing as we're playing fantasy football, I reckon we need to be smart and play a bit of money ball here.

Assuming both Wood$ and Tede$co leave, I would sign:

Fullback:
Michael Gordon (cheapie)

Wing:
David Mead (cheapie)

Centre:
Dane Gagai/Taane Milne (Milne would be cheap)

These 3 guys have all played fullback, centre and wing (except for Milne), so they are interchangable in the backline.

Halves:
Tyrone Roberts (backup - maybe fills a utility spot on the bench?)
Gareth Widdop

Props
Mautulino
Vete
Packer

Hooker
Nathan Peats

Team would look like this:

1\. Michael Gordon
2\. David Nofoaluma
3\. Dane Gagai/Taane Milne
4\. Mo$es Suli
5\. David Mead

6\. Gareth Widdop
7\. Luke Brooks

8\. Ava Seumanafagai
9\. Nathan Peats
10\. Ben Mautulino
11\. Chris McQueen
12\. Jamal Idris
13\. Elijah Taylor

14\. Tyrone Roberts
15\. Albert Vete
16\. Jesse Sue
17\. Russel Packer

Unless you intend to handcuff or drug them , how do you intend to get any of them to come to the West Tigers wasteland. This is Ground Zero, and well and truly toxic

Back