Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Of course I have no knowledge - and am just speculating - but perhaps Canetrbury are interested in the Youngs substantial business interests and signing the boy is good for business. Too cynical?
May have no bearing but Bill Young’s father (also Bill), played for Canterbury in the 60s (reserves I think).

The COE is a red herring. It's useless when it comes to recruiting or actually improving the team. We probably need it but it's basically meaningless. The old statement of 10 kg is 10kg is true.

Point 2 is the key way forward. If we could recruit quality players we would but we can't. I should qualify this statement. We've recruited 2 high quality players that will make a difference to our team and even a significant difference.

We can't though recruit a team full of established players because the only way we recruit established quality players is picking up established quality players who for some reason are underpaid and typically living in Sydney.

We have a 3rd strategy as well. That strategy is don't play the game the same way the other teams are playing it. That is why we are moving Hastings to lock and basically playing 3 halves which clearly means we have a small pack.

We need gun juniors coming through but to be fair to the club I can't remember how long it has been since we blooded juniors of the quality that we have this year. Our problem is the Rorters blood players like Sualli and Walker. I'm feeling more confident though in this approach.
Facilities are important in the modern game and for the modern player.

Imagine going to work as an employee and your employer has run down offices, lack of equipment to do the job and low grade resources in general?

Now, go up the road and another company has top class facilities with everything you need to help you succeed.

Now, is 10kg, really 10kg? I.e is an office, really an office because it has 4 walls? Of course not…the standards between the two are vastly different.

Not everyone, but I would guess more than 70% of the players in the NRL would pick the club with better facilities with all other things being equal.

Certainly, the COE shouldn’t be relied upon to attract talent as there are many factors that go into ones decision to sign, but to say it has no impact in a players decision is like saying there’s no point in Mercedes making luxury cars, because the Suzuki Swift has 4 wheels and gets you from A to B.

Of all the factors that players consider when signing for a club, having the COE removes the facilities consideration…one less obstacle to signing better talent.

As a club, we simply don’t get the basics right. In no particular order, we need:

1. One home ground
2. Pick a home and away jersey. Stop changing it!
3. Pathways investment
4. Consistent game plan philosophy through all grades. If a rookie gets thrown in, he’s familiar with our style of play!
5. A Wests Tigers NSW cup team…none of this Balmain or Magpies split.

If we start there, we will have taken a big step up from where we are today.

Laurie is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL.
I'm sure Staines will do a better job.
He is bigger, stronger, faster. Daine Laurie has done nothing the last 2 years at the tigers.
Laurie is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL.
I'm sure Staines will do a better job.
He is bigger, stronger, faster. Daine Laurie has done nothing the last 2 years at the tigers.
That's crap. Pun intended.

As a club, we simply don’t get the basics right. In no particular order, we need:

1. One home ground
2. Pick a home and away jersey. Stop changing it!
3. Pathways investment
4. Consistent game plan philosophy through all grades. If a rookie gets thrown in, he’s familiar with our style of play!
5. A Wests Tigers NSW cup team…none of this Balmain or Magpies split.

If we start there, we will have taken a big step up from where we are today.
1. Will never happen
2. No club does that -every club changes them every few years as a money making exercise.
3. We are already doing this a lot
4.Supposedly this is happening, but realistically we don't even have a game-plan at nrl level so of course the coaches at lower levels are adapting a game-plan to suit their players.
5. There is one NSW Cup team. Branded as Magpies but many NRL clubs use other club's brands at that level (Newtown, North Sydney, Blacktown, Mounties etc.)

So really we've already done most of what you say.

1. Will never happen
2. No club does that -every club changes them every few years as a money making exercise.
4.Supposedly this is happening, but realistically we don't even have a game-plan at nrl level so of course the coaches at lower levels are adapting a game-plan to suit their players.
5. There is one NSW Cup team. Branded as Magpies but many NRL clubs use other club's brands at that level (Newtown, North Sydney, Blacktown, Mounties etc.)

Everything you say is true but on your point 5.
Since one of the things holding us back ( especially with recruitment )
is the perception fair or unfair that we have a factional friction riddled environment and as such need to go further to demonstrate unity
One way is all grades carry the same name . Respect the past but leave the past in the past .

A Magpie branded NSW Cup team is an example of factions probably at board level, iirc, Liubinskis resigned because he was unable to get the Jersey Flegg side branded Magpies, so it’s there for all to see. Dragons don’t call their NSW Cup side Illawarra
You seem to know a bit of the inner workings
Direct quote from Mick Potter
" when I arrived at the Wests Tigers it was different to any other club it was
a political hotbed zone"
This is verbatim What is he referring to? Something there seems to be the epicentre of the problem?

I'd like to see the Balmain and Western Suburbs logos removed from the jerseys. Would prefer just the Wests Tigers logo on the front, chest position. One club, one logo, one ground etc....
So, if there is no Magpie, even the little biddy one they have on the jersey shoulder vs the large tiger club emblem, the joint venture of Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers is what? The Balmain Leagues is gone, Wests Magpies Ashfield is around and Wests Campbelltown is a non voting member. If Leichhardt Oval goes down the toilet, we are left with Campbelltown Oval as a possible home ground (to which the old Wests Magpies didnt have much luck after loosing Lidcombe Oval), unless we can easily find an inner West location- do you want to try and find one in the Balmain area as a direct replacement for Leichhardt or use another one in the Wests Magpies territory?

Im happy for the joint venture to call it quits and each go back to original? Oh wait- where is Balmain leagues? Sick and tired of people p'ing on Wests Magpies. If you seek to withdraw the Magpie aspect, even that little bit of recognition and, giving the dog a bone with lower grade being called Magpies, whats in it for us? Why should we bother?

PS Im not against in anyway the Wests Tigers and care about them and have been a fan since 2001 but I do care about the Magpie too. Im also for a serious look at relocation to Central Coast / Perth as long as our Sydney competition areas can be protected by raids form the other adjacent clubs. I think the prospect of Leichhardt Oval going down brings some serious questions about where we want to go as a club (location wise).

Edit- PPS at 3.51pm I'm not a great fan of the current WT board set up either and think there should be some change not sure how it can be done. I dont want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
1. Will never happen

Newtown is Cronulla's feeder team.

With Drinkwater committing long term to Cowboys, we should be having a red hot crack for the Hammer come November 1. I feel with our clear plan moving forward of having a ball playing lock, it is not as essential for full ball playing skills in our fullback (obviously want some ability still though). A good support runner with some x factor and speed could be perfect to complement. The Hammer might be looking for an opportunity to play fb. We could provide that.

With Drinkwater committing long term to Cowboys, we should be having a red hot crack for the Hammer come November 1. I feel with our clear plan moving forward of having a ball playing lock, it is not as essential for full ball playing skills in our fullback (obviously want some ability still though). A good support runner with some x factor and speed could be perfect to complement. The Hammer might be looking for an opportunity to play fb. We could provide that.
> Laurie.

💯

Latest posts

Members online

Back