Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

The senior medical staff would have had a say if it was a major injury. My young bloke tore his ACL playing SG Ball at Roosters and he was operated on by the same guy who does their NRL. Did his rehab with the top squad physio’s.
That’s the way the professional clubs handle their juniors.

Reactions: 851
Seen Sheens believe in lots of things - And lots of Nuftys over my time....
Didn't work out - That's back when he was actually an NRL coach.
He’s definitely not afraid to try things that’s for sure. I still don’t believe brooks will be gone but thought to myself if he does go it would be a sheens thing to try

Interesting some of the chat around Sheens wanting Laurie as halves cover.

I’m not sure if anyone remembers, but in his first trial for us (against Manly I believe) he went very well at 5/8…

You could see he had the skill, but his strength and size was stopping him from turning the half breaks into something more.

Maybe with a couple of years of first grade behind him, he’ll be better for it?

The only concern is the amount of defence he’d have to do.

On Brooks, it was clear without him we weren’t any better. On the right contract $, he presents good value for the club when you take the long-serving player allowance into account.

It’s obvious to everyone including Luke that he’s not a $1 million player, but if Sheens can renegotiate his contract extension to say $650k x 3 seasons, the cap allowance is $188,000 per season, making Luke’s impact on our cap only $462,000 a season.

Given the average of the cap is around $306k in 2022…and likely more in 2023 and beyond, that presents a decent result for the club going forward. Even if he plays reserves for half a season or gets injured, you don’t have a huge chunk of your cap sitting on the sidelines.

Brandy and a few others from the Panthers all viewed Laurie as a 5/8th long term in the NRL.

If we are serious about going after Munster or Brown it indicates Sheens/Benji don't really want AD as the long term 5/8th, so does make sense then to also look at more of the dynamic/speed style ball player to be 5/8th like Laurie as well. Could be also why they want to keep Brooks around because they want both halves to have speed playing either side of the ruck.

Well I think they have already started by letting Madden go. The message there is we want you to lead us.
Next step is to have players running off him as well as occasional darts himself.
It’s all part of a back to basics attitude which imo is where the team has to start.
Forget the miracle plays and focus on getting everything solid.
I know that may sound a little corney but seems obvious to me.

Brandy and a few others from the Panthers all viewed Laurie as a 5/8th long term in the NRL.

If we are serious about going after Munster or Brown it indicates Sheens/Benji don't really want AD as the long term 5/8th, so does make sense then to also look at more of the dynamic/speed style ball player to be 5/8th like Laurie as well. Could be also why they want to keep Brooks around because they want both halves to have speed playing either side of the ruck.
Sheens will tell Brooks to play eyes up football and chance his arm unlike JT and Madge who were blowing up at every mistake.
In relation to Douhie I think it is centre or bust for him I don't think he is a Sheens type of half.
Hastings is key here needs to play 13 for this to work.
Laurie can play 6 with pace on the other side of the ruck.
13. Hastings
9. Api
7. Brooks
6. Laurie
4. Naden
3. Douhie
1. Staines

Sheens will tell Brooks to play eyes up football and chance his arm unlike JT and Madge who were blowing up at every mistake.
In relation to Douhie I think it is centre or bust for him I don't think he is a Sheens type of half.
Hastings is key here needs to play 13 for this to work.
Laurie can play 6 with pace on the other side of the ruck.
13. Hastings
9. Api
7. Brooks
6. Laurie
4. Naden
3. Douhie
1. Staines
Agree …. I believe Sheens, Benji and recruitment are actively pursuing a quality 5/8 either for next or the following year onwards.
For me Douhie is not the answer and he has to accept that at best he is either a centre and/or backup fullback.

Back