Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I don't think you can register contracts in anticipation of clearing the decks - isn't that what got Bulldogs in trouble with Kikau in the first place?

So if you cannot afford Player X in 2024, I don't see how you can register his contract and then hope / promise the NRL you will shed players when the time comes.
The bulldogs aren’t registering the contracts. They are getting the players to sign the contracts and then clearing the decks and then registering them when they have roster spots and salary cap space. So a player might sign a contract 12 months before it’s registered with the NRL in the bulldogs case. Gus did this knowing the salary cap was going up I believe.

The bulldogs aren’t registering the contracts. They are getting the players to sign the contracts and then clearing the decks and then registering them when they have roster spots and salary cap space. So a player might sign a contract 12 months before it’s registered with the NRL in the bulldogs case. Gus did this knowing the salary cap was going up I believe.
Remember Cronulla in 2016? They were above the salary cap for the whole year apart from a couple weeks around the Grand final. It was the biggest con job in sports history. The never would have got Barba with the shady way they went about things

Pretty sure the Board is responsible for hiring coaches?

CEO provides a recommendation but the ultimate decision comes from the Board. The CEO delivers the strategies of the Board.

So if we are talking about going all the way to the top to lay blame, then it falls on the Board as much as anyone else at Tigers. Pascoe just happens to be their spokesperson.

Same as Abdo does what the ARLC tells him to do, and it's PVL pulling most of those strings.
Very true… however rarely does a board go against a CEOs recommendation because they back the CEO or why have him as CEO.

If you listen to Sheens he has said repeatedly I was asked to be coach by the Chairman and CEO.

The board signing off an a recommendation Is usually just a formality unfortunately.

But yes agree with you - the board is as much to blame for not rejecting his recommendations but as I said - rarely happens.

I think our board likes Justin bc he is a nice bloke and knocks a beer back with them and from my very subjective observations - I don’t think any of them including Lee have much rugby league IQ - which is why they rely on the coach so much and Justin’s recommendations….

And don’t forget the board meet what once a month - they don’t have that much of a clue about the footballing stuff behind the scenes - I think a lot of them are just grateful they get to be on the board of the tigers for status and collect a Cheque and go to the Chairman’s box for games.

Remember Cronulla in 2016? They were above the salary cap for the whole year apart from a couple weeks around the Grand final. It was the biggest con job in sports history. The never would have got Barba with the shady way they went about things
Yep. Over the salary cap in 2015 and 2017. But not 2016 apparently…… how convenient. A very embarrassing situation avoided for the NRL.

Thats how it works. Sign the players then worry about how your going to get the contract rubber stamped by round one in what ever season the contract kicks in

Reactions: 851
Hey @tigerap, you have commented recently saying that the $1.4m figure is off the mark, do you still believe that to be true? Here's hoping because it's simply too high.
Club had “budgeted” up to $1.4 to snag Munster….if he wanted to leave Melbourne….they are prepared to go hard for MM but it won’t be $1.4 as some of that budget is now being considered elsewhere…I.e Nathan Brown….it’s a constantly changing scenario

Mitch is not worth 1:4 and I would think he still has career aspirations that unless there is a complete 180 turn around quickly won't be achieved with us - in the near future at least. I think he has pretty much reached his ceiling footy smarts/skills wise but really question whether he has the capacity mentally to play again in a side that still hasnt figured out how to win and would be depending on him to lead the way. At that cost he would need to.

Mitch is not worth 1:4 and I would think he still has career aspirations that unless there is a complete 180 turn around quickly won't be achieved with us - in the near future at least. I think he has pretty much reached his ceiling footy smarts/skills wise but really question whether he has the capacity mentally to play again in a side that still hasnt figured out how to win and would be depending on him to lead the way. At that cost he would need to.

He outplayed Munster this season could argue taking over Munster.

This is a general statement moving forward to new season which we all hope will be the start of a successful rebuild...we are all eager to see and read things that are positive for a change.
There has been a few complaints that this thread is full of rumours. 🤣🤣🤣
HOWEVER we always go off the track and talk about anything but Signing Suggestions & Rumours.
In fairness to those who want to catch up with all the gos, they shouldn't have to wade through pages of unrelated posts.
Traditionally, this thread is a dumping ground for the first thoughts that pop into member's minds.
We have individual players threads in the Contracts section so please use these.
If you have a comment to make on say, Junior Tupou #254, please put it in his dedicated thread and not in here.
If your post is not about a player "Signing suggestion & Rumours please post it in an applicable thread like "Now for Something Completely Different" or maybe the awesome thread that Browny started "Memories" or the humour, politics other sports topics.
It's understandable why members like chatting in here. It's because that's where most members hang out.
Or they want to hear of that new signing, but if you post something interesting in another thread then members will read it and follow....go you can do it! 😉
In general we all go off track and its unavoidable, I've done it.
Generally 3-4 posts wandering off is ok but at some stage we have to get back on topic.
We make no apologies for moving your posts to their applicable threads if required.
Go the Wests Tigers grrrr😻

Yep. Over the salary cap in 2015 and 2017. But not 2016 apparently…… how convenient. A very embarrassing situation avoided for the NRL.
Not only that but parts of 2016 they were over as well. They said ' they were under at the end of the year'. Who cares, they never would of got Barba in the first place and he was instrumental in getting them to the premiership.

That title should be taken off them.

• Love
Reactions: 851
Back