Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We still desperately need a halfback. We have two 5/8ths in AD and Brooks but no one in the squad who can play 7 and direct the team
Maybe the plan is for Api to direct the team from hooker. Whether it works or not is another story...

Brooks hasnt got us anywhere, hastings wouldn't have, api might get close but isnt gonna be a controller or voice on the floor without 20 other dudes chipping in.
Hastings had like 2 moments of fame, in the worst team in the comp, the team that ended up getting the wooden spoon. Even there he wasn't an immediate pick for half back, i don't get what im missing here.

Wanna be a fan and love the club, get over hastings
We have a different “opinion”.

I agree with you on taking it bit by bit.

I said fullback OR half.

I thought we could’ve kept Hastings if Sheens wanted to.

If Sheens or the club was smarter - why not just tell Jackson that he will start at lock and if the team is not gelling with brooks at half he will swap them and play like at 5/8.

We could’ve kept the option of Jackson. I think if the club wanted him they would’ve shown him more love.

And I don’t think we had to trade anyone for Klemmer bc he was always gonna come.

We could’ve kept luke and Jackson and chosen who was best after a few games.

With Api and Hastings I honestly beloved we were top 8.

With Api and Brooks I think we’re bottom 4.

Just my opinion.
I really think Hastings was let go so we could use his cap money, just my opinion

Brown's offloads are a myth - in his last full season being 2021 he had 18. Joe O last year had 33. Tackle Breaks and PCM - Brown 20 and 940 Joe O 57 and 1171. Tackles made - NB 745 at 92% efficiency. JO 882 at 93%. The only area where Brown outperformed JO was in running mtrs where he averaged an 129 pg to JO 122 pg. He is almost an identical player to Offo. I really don't see the value when we already have a similar player. Also given his form last year where he was our best forward Joe O needs to be on the field more often than not so put him on the bench would be a waste.
33 Offloads is pretty damn good.

Joe O, out of everyone last year. You, Naden and Hastings are the players who did this jersey proud.

BTW I see full value in getting another player like Joe O. Our mistakes have been relying too heavily on James Tamou alone, I realise Russell Packer wasn't meant to be a one man forward pack but again we relied too heavily on him and Packer underperformed...

Front row Needs depth. The more the better.

Experience and quality’: After spending $2.5m up front, Tigers turn to their backline
Dan Walsh
By Dan Walsh
December 27, 2022 — 3.55pm
Save
KEY POINTS
- John Bateman was the “main domino to fall” in Tigers’ forward pack revamp
- An outside back will be targeted to fill the club’s final roster position
- Contract discussions with Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi will begin in the new year

After eighteen months in the NRL’s volatile player market, around $2.5 million in contracts and endless innuendo, December 24 delivered Tim Sheens the Christmas gift he’d been waiting for.

English international John Bateman completed a Wests Tigers forward pack he no longer wants to tinker with.
Sheens described Bateman’s four-year deal, secured with a reported $250,000 transfer fee from Wigan and announced late on Boxing Day, as “the main domino I wanted to fall.”

At 29, Bateman brings more than 200 Super League and NRL games worth of experience as well as 25 Tests for England and Great Britain.

Between he and fellow signings David Klemmer, Api Koroisau and Isaiah Papali’i, the Tigers have added more than 800 games of NRL, Origin and Test experience to a forward contingent badly exposed by injury en route to a 2022 wooden spoon.

The recruitment drive started under Michael Maguire and delivered Koroisau and Papali’i last summer on $600,000-plus per annum.

The latter wavered and looked to stay at Parramatta before Klemmer and Bateman were secured through unconventional negotiations. The Tigers now turn to their backline and playmakers to build upon a vastly improved pack.

“We’ve got some quality forwards now and guys you can genuinely play behind, with grunt and go forward,” Sheens said of his revamped forwards.

“We’ve got one more position to fill in our top 30 and we’ve got a couple of ideas with that.

“John was the main domino I wanted to fall. Now we’ve got him in our forwards we’re looking at the backline and who could be added there.

“The experience of these guys we’ve signed like Klem and John, that’s the real attraction.

“That experience and quality makes a difference given we had issues with depth and injuries to key forwards this year.”

The Tigers’ recruited quartet will be called on to mentor a raft of rising young forwards led by Stefano Utoikamanu and Shawn Blore as they return from lengthy injury lay-offs, with Joe Ofahengaue, Alex Twal and Fonua Pole other regular NRL options.

Half-turned-lock Jackson Hastings and veteran skipper James Tamou have led a Tigers exodus that has also included back-rowers Luke Garner, Kelma Tuilagi, Zane Musgrove, Jacob Liddle and Tyrone Peachey.

Sheens added that Bateman is an option at lock as well as in an edge partnership with Kiwi international Papali’i.

The veteran coach holds no concern over the four-year deal that will see Bateman turn 33 by its completion in 2026, pointing to Dale Finucane’s impact at Cronulla this year after signing on the same terms at the same age.

While mindful of an ever-shifting market, bringing Nathan Brown back from Parramatta takes a back seat given the Tigers options up front.

Sheens would not be drawn on interest in former Tiger and Eels lynchpin Mitchell Moses after meeting with him in the UK, and said attention eventually turns to who calls the shots long-term behind his new forwards when training resumes on January 5.

Halves Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi are both off-contract and have never had a Tigers pack of this quality in front of them.

“Brooksy’s been in rehab with a bit of a calf injury and Adam returns next week as planned,” Sheens said.

“I have spoken to the players and they know that the plan is to have those [contract] conversations in the New Year.

“How far into the New Year, we’ll wait and see, but right now the focus is on this team we’re building now for 2023 because we have to get some results right here, right now.”

Saw Klemmer at Edensor Park Coles yesterday, Man is looking fit. Really fit.
It would be unusual for an NRL player who has been at pre-season to look unfit at this time of year. Most of them have been doing army camps, sand dune runes, crazy cardio sessions and other intense stuff. Even Joey Oporto had muscle definition at Xmas.

Anyone know what we've been up to in our pre season?

Weird the hate given to @tigermate , he's questioning contracts not anything more. Honestly, there was similar excitement and backslapping when we signed Packer, matulino, Reynolds and then mbye. Big contracts for players who WERE once good players.

I'm positive about the signings, particularly Isaiah and API, less so Bateman (who I hope at least lives up to reputation of being good for club culture), but just because fans doubt the club management doesn't make them any less a fan. Four year contracts have been bad for us in the past, and these players have done nothing for us yet. Tigermate is right to be cautious, and fans should temper expectations about 2023. Not saying we can't be good, but we haven't been for a long time.

Sheens got the name shifty for a reason. Reading that article you would think the club has had a informal chat with Moses and nothing much else.

I still think the Moses things is very long odds, but when Sheens plays things down, you never know

Both Dennis Tutty Terry Hill and the toothless souffs have proven that you can beat the governing body if you have a decent case and a will to win.It is only a matter of time before the NRL get beaten again imho
Souffs lost their court case.

Back