Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

After watching Jock play for the Broncos it was a good decision to let him go. Even with a fresh start he's still too timid. He plays like he doesn't really believe he belongs. Wakeham showed that he's a better option as a backup. He has mistakes in him but he plays with confidence and fits Sheens' style.
Robbie has improved Simpkin 100% in attack, but Will Smith showed he's a viable option as Api's backup as well.
The Benji era is looking good.
Unpopular opinion about Smith but I didn't like him at 9, felt he stagnated the attack a lot & we looked a little directionless there with him at dummy half & his service wasn't that crisp. He also just kept trying crash plays & one outs to the forwards which annoyed me a little but other than that he's a wonderful asset to have.

If Moses signs is he expecting his buddy Brooks to still be here next year given they are besties?

I dont think there is room for both, but some have said playing with Brooks is a big attraction for him to come here ( and the money of course…)

If Moses signs is he expecting his buddy Brooks to still be here next year given they are besties?

I dont think there is room for both, but some have said playing with Brooks is a big attraction for him to come here ( and the money of course…)
It would be scandalous to have a halves pairing of Moses and Brooks. Hey that might get us into the 8 and we wouldn't want that!

I was just arguing/discussing this with Paws. Who cares what Moses wants ? All I care about is us winning games. If Brooks goes and we become a better team good. If any player goes and we become a better team good.

I liked Hastings but maybe we are better off without him. We might be better off without Brooks as well.

It would be scandalous to have a halves pairing of Moses and Brooks. Hey that might get us into the 8 and we wouldn't want that!

I think most of us want to win games and we care less about the players. I think you want to push the line that Brooks is a better player than AD. I'm not buying that.

I can easily beat your argument. Moses and AD would win us the comp. I'm not stating it's true but the question is who is better Moses and AD or Brooks and Moses.

Unpopular opinion about Smith but I didn't like him at 9, felt he stagnated the attack a lot & we looked a little directionless there with him at dummy half & his service wasn't that crisp. He also just kept trying crash plays & one outs to the forwards which annoyed me a little but other than that he's a wonderful asset to have.

Spot on, too many crash balls with
repeat sets on their line without any
real deception at the base. Positive
is that we're going to score more than
we don't from that play because the
systems seem to be in place. That's
where Api excels from 5 meters out
putting bodies on the ball with 1&2 out

He couldn't get it past the second row

Most of our team right across the park looked way better than last year. Okay it was only trial, but having a big fast forward pack makes a massive difference. So I think everyone should hold fire on Brooks and give him a chance to show his wares playing behind a good pack. If after a month and he is still struggling, sure go for the jugular, but till than I think he deserves some slack

I think most of us want to win games and we care less about the players. I think you want to push the line that Brooks is a better player than AD. I'm not buying that.

I can easily beat your argument. Moses and AD would win us the comp. I'm not stating it's true but the question is who is better Moses and AD or Brooks and Moses.

As the late great Geo said, we are just supporting laundry.

Some of us anyways. I just want to win games. Brooks is a time proven looser who goes missing or crumbles when needed. We all know this about Brooks. There is a decade of evidence to support it.

AD has already shown that he can be off but also can be on. If he can minimize the off times there is so much upside that just isn't there with Brooks. Anyone with a impartial eye towards the two would easily see AD paring with MM is the obvious choice for our laundry....unless you have a personal connection OR a unhealthy fixation on Brooks the person, not the player. You don't need to use the force to see who claws their way to one or both of those camps.

After watching Jock play for the Broncos it was a good decision to let him go. Even with a fresh start he's still too timid. He plays like he doesn't really believe he belongs. Wakeham showed that he's a better option as a backup. He has mistakes in him but he plays with confidence and fits Sheens' style.
Robbie has improved Simpkin 100% in attack, but Will Smith showed he's a viable option as Api's backup as well.
The Benji era is looking good.
Felt bad for him tbh. Walters looked like he did not trust him as a halfback. At one point he was in position to kick Walters turned and looked to pass to him, thought about it for a second and then gave him the pass under pressure. Horrible play.
Broncos looked 10x sharper once Paix was at hooker. But I’m sure with A Reynolds back in the main seat it will be different.

I dont think it's as straight forward as which combo is better, they have different strengths. Moses is clearly the pick at half, AD is more of a running threat, has a good kicking game when on song and there is the leb connection as well. Brooks however is quicker and stronger defensively. Both have the ability to break a game, we just haven't seen it with too much regularity. I think it is one of those things that won't be decided with speculation, we need to see it in action. We saw AD and Moses together at the world cup, and although not world beaters I think they looked ok together. Comparing Moses and Brooks pairing when they were hear is mostly pointless, as both are different players now and would be switching positions. I would love to think there is room for all 3 if they perform, I guess this year will tell us plenty. That being said, if we miss out on Moses it is a moot point.

I was just arguing/discussing this with Paws. Who cares what Moses wants ? All I care about is us winning games. If Brooks goes and we become a better team good. If any player goes and we become a better team good.

I liked Hastings but maybe we are better off without him. We might be better off without Brooks as well.

I agree with you on the best players should be what we go with if thats AD, Brooks, Laurie, You, Me or someone else do it.

The thing I look at is the combination & natural style. AD is a right edge player he can move to the left but his natural roving movement is right side, this lines up with Moses alot. Brooks is more left side player which compliments in some ways. Not saying AD couldn’t switch but just that his natural preference is to play that.

I thought Brooks last year needed to move on, he isn’t as bad as made out here though but just wasn’t the right fit for us. Under Sheens/Benji it might change that as his best games have always been him staying one side and running to the line mixed with blindside runs. His leg speed is key to him being that attacking player he has shown glimpses off hence maybe the over cautious approach during the trials also.

Right now I would go with AD over Brooks just because it’s been a longtime for Brooks to really play his style somewhat consistently whereas AD can step up and break a game open or create half chances more often plus his age.

Contracts shouldn’t be tied to other players but they happen all across the league alot more frequently than you think. Families tie to one club including the bad players, sons, cousins, brothers, school & best mates. It happens alot. Often players do say sign this player, sometimes clubs do it othertimes they don’t.

Moses has every right to ask who will be his 1/6/9 it would be important given the quality/combinations he potentially would be leaving. Maybe he has a preference of Brooks over AD, maybe he doesn’t. He has been in camp and played with both also.

Eitherway Moses would hands down make us a better side, to win a comp you have to make the finals and I have zero doubts he would do that for us & without him atm can’t see Brooks/AD doing it (hope I’m wrong).

If we sign Moses, give Brooks and AD the year to fight it out. We have a pretty imposing pack now so no one can make excuses for either of them playing behind a beaten pack.

If big ken is cooked and we do somehow manage to get him medically retired who do we think comes in or should we bring in to the top 30?

If big ken is cooked and we do somehow manage to get him medically retired who do we think comes in or should we bring in to the top 30?
Think Aitasi James has been the standout. Looked good even in a well beaten team Vs Warriors and backed it up yesterday.

I agree with you on the best players should be what we go with if thats AD, Brooks, Laurie, You, Me or someone else do it.

Correct. It's not that hard to agree this is the right approach. The issue is who is the better option. You make some good points here especially about Brooks on the left and Moses on the right.

can’t see Brooks/AD doing it (hope I’m wrong).

I can but we really need AD to step up big time. People are complaining about our goal kicking. AD can kick goals. He showed on the weekend he also offers a lot in relation to his passing and kicking games. He is also good in the air and showed that.

There is a lot to like about AD. My problem with him is that I've talked him up plenty of times because he has some cracker games but he is also inconsistent.

I honestly don't mind Brooks but I can't see him becoming a top tier player. He is 28 and coming into the backend of his career. Doueihi is 24. That is a long time in first grade footy. I think we know Brooks game. He is a decent player. Decent defense if it is overrated. He still misses tackles and is targeted. He also makes some poor decisions with the ball when under pressure. He has a decent all round kicking and passing game and he is quick. His running game has been poor recently. I think he outplayed AD last year and it wasn't close but AD was overall extremely poor.

I'm all in for this season with Brooks and Doueihi. I'd be extremely careful in relation to picking one or the other this early in the piece in relation to the 3+ seasons. Make them earn their spot through consistent quality on field performances.

Last edited:
Correct. It's not that hard to agree this is the right approach. The issue is who is the better option. You make some good points here especially about Brooks on the left and Moses on the right.

I can but we really need AD to step up big time. People are complaining about our goal kicking. AD can kick goals. He showed on the weekend he also offers a lot in relation to his passing and kicking games. He is also good in the air and showed that.

There is a lot to like about AD. My problem with him is that I've talked him up plenty of times because he has some cracker games but he is also inconsistent.

I honestly don't mind Brooks but I can't see him becoming a top tier player. He is 28 and coming into the backend of his career. Doueihi is 24. That is a long time in first grade footy. I think we know Brooks game. He is a decent player. Decent defense if it is overrated. He still misses tackles and is targeted. He also makes some poor decisions with the ball when under pressure. He has a decent all round kicking and passing game and he is quick. His running game has been poor recently. I think he outplayed AD last year and it wasn't close but AD was overall extremely poor.

I'm all in for this season with Brooks and Doueihi. I'd be extremely careful in relation to picking one or the other this early in the piece in relation to the 3+ seasons. Make them earn their spot through consist quality on field performances.
A half is pretty useless in a team which isn’t playing footy, with a forward pack that gets rag dolled every week.
Give Brooks some game time before crucifying him please? IMHO, he’s here to stay and we will see why this season.
If Moses comes in 24, then Doueihi moves to 13 or finds another club, as dissapointing as that may sound to many of us, but he is not the zippy pivot we need. He’s very predictable, particularly with his passing. Don’t get me wrong , I want him in the team somewhere, but not 6 or 7. If it comes to a choice between him or Moses at 6, then the choice is clear.

Back