Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

St Helens get the win, all credit to the ref.
Their performance this year shows what a great coach Kristian Wolfe is. He coached the same team without Dodd last year and they were invincible, now they're right back to the pack.
Wolfe's also got Redcliffe's team of spare parts playing like St Helens of last year.

It's called not having an actual memory - or having a false memory!!

If you were too young to remember the time - don't act like you do and try to correct people who've been following the game for many more years is my suggestion!

Too many people conflate recollections of being told something by someone once - with actually remembering that event and knowing what happened!
Take it easy boomer

You're not some professor of footy.

Go grab the remote have a rest.

Galloway didn’t join us until 06.
but I sort of agree with your point, I would say I have seen some players improve and some decline under sheens and the same can be said for all coaches. Seen players improve and decline under the same coach.
A lot of things impact a persons performance, motivation, ability to fulfil a role/style, environment, family, health and so on.
Yes, exactly. Several players just haven't worked out with Wayne Bennett, Haslier or Bellamy.

Sheens isn't a lifter. but he can really get hte best out of some people. Also we haven't seen him open his playbook yet. I kind of liken Sheens to the Citroen of coaches, has some strong weaknesses and some strong strengths.

League is more of a game of margins now. You watch the earlier games and you see some huge mistakes that you would never do now, the player would be dropped to reggies.

I am hoping that Sheens keeps a cool enough head to help our team transition from 16th -> 9th (i.e. win half our games at least) and get that consistency,.

For our Clubs short history Sheens has definitely had the best record for getting the best out of players .
Ivan did pretty good in his short time Rochow,Brooks,Thompson even Godinat had a few decent games.
Taylor? Don’t remember anyone he really got firing.
Potter had the team playing some decent footy,the squad was already assembled however.
Madge - from all accounts was about training hard and playing a simple but tough style of footy.Something this team has always been incapableLuciano,Mcyntre,Joff all seemed to benefit from his style.

I can stand to be corrected, but my memory of the 2004/2005 squad was:

Hodgson on the outer at Parra
Richards from reserve grade at Parra
Prince from reserve grade at the Broncos (recovering from a busted ankle)
Phatueira was a starting centre from Penrith
Elford was in reserve grade at Penrith
Payten was a bench forward at the Roosters at the time
Galloway was added as an emerging player from the Sharks with a handful of games under his belt.
Moodie was at the end of his career from (I want to say the Knights, but there was some Parra time in there)
Beuttner was reserve grade at Parra
Senter was reserve grade from the Dogs (he was signed under Lamb though, I think)

Either way- point is, Sheens found value in players that didn't fit at other clubs or hadn't reached their potential. Then developed the bulk of the squad through our juniors. It was amazing recruiting.

I think his Canberra success stories were Mullins, Nagas, Nadruku, Laurie Daley, Clyde, Stuart, Todd, Ponga etc. He inherited a strong squad & turned into into an immortal squad.
Darren Senter was at Balmain well before the Wests Tigers and had nothing to do with Lamb

I can stand to be corrected, but my memory of the 2004/2005 squad was:

Hodgson on the outer at Parra
Richards from reserve grade at Parra
Prince from reserve grade at the Broncos (recovering from a busted ankle)
Phatueira was a starting centre from Penrith
Elford was in reserve grade at Penrith
Payten was a bench forward at the Roosters at the time
Galloway was added as an emerging player from the Sharks with a handful of games under his belt.
Moodie was at the end of his career from (I want to say the Knights, but there was some Parra time in there)
Beuttner was reserve grade at Parra
Senter was reserve grade from the Dogs (he was signed under Lamb though, I think)

Either way- point is, Sheens found value in players that didn't fit at other clubs or hadn't reached their potential. Then developed the bulk of the squad through our juniors. It was amazing recruiting.

I think his Canberra success stories were Mullins, Nagas, Nadruku, Laurie Daley, Clyde, Stuart, Todd, Ponga etc. He inherited a strong squad & turned into into an immortal squad.
Youre right Chad. It was on point to the script of "The Replacements" in which Gene Hackman played the part of coach who scraped together an unwanted band of misfits who desperately wanted one more chance to prove they had not reached their full potential and still had a super bowl game in them.

I see Joe Ofahengaue got injured and left the field 10 mins into the game last in his debut with the Slimes.. !!

I think the point is with Sheens he generally has a pretty good idea of the type of player he wants to coach & has success with. The reputation doesn't always equal the players ability to fit the style.

Hodgson & Richards were afterthoughts at Parra, but GF winners at the Tigers. Elford & Whatuira considered expendable, but GF winners here, Prince was on the scrapheap & became probably our most influential signing..

We all want superstar signings. But sometimes Brandon Wakeham is what you get & it just...fits.

One of the most derived signings in Wests Tigers history was Braith Anasta- signed by Sheens but never coached by Sheens. I often wonder what role Tim had in mind? Would our perspective be completely different?

I'll still say that probably the biggest issue all of Potter, Taylor, Maguire faced was that they kept inheriting squads with contracts that were largely too difficult to move. Cleary arrived at just the right time to spend dollars as he saw fit & got decent results. Sheens' greatest ability as a 'manager' is his ability to cut through the contract red tape & clear out the players he doesn't want. This time next year, pretty sure he will have a squad of player HE wanted at the club. He's already wheeled & dealed his way into the Klemmer's & Bateman's.

I think the point is with Sheens he generally has a pretty good idea of the type of player he wants to coach & has success with. The reputation doesn't always equal the players ability to fit the style.

Hodgson & Richards were afterthoughts at Parra, but GF winners at the Tigers. Elford & Whatuira considered expendable, but GF winners here, Prince was on the scrapheap & became probably our most influential signing..

We all want superstar signings. But sometimes Brandon Wakeham is what you get & it just...fits.

One of the most derived signings in Wests Tigers history was Braith Anasta- signed by Sheens but never coached by Sheens. I often wonder what role Tim had in mind? Would our perspective be completely different?

I'll still say that probably the biggest issue all of Potter, Taylor, Maguire faced was that they kept inheriting squads with contracts that were largely too difficult to move. Cleary arrived at just the right time to spend dollars as he saw fit & got decent results. Sheens' greatest ability as a 'manager' is his ability to cut through the contract red tape & clear out the players he doesn't want. This time next year, pretty sure he will have a squad of player HE wanted at the club. He's already wheeled & dealed his way into the Klemmer's & Bateman's.
How is it that guys like Sheens, Bennett and Gould, can just move players on whenever they see fit to begin rebuilding their squads instantly. Yet Other coaches like Maguire, Potter and Taylor had to ride contracts out, I always wondered what the diffrence was, is it the coaches themselves or is it the board room giving or not giving coaches free reign over the roster. If anyone has any insight in to how it might work it would be appreciated. I just can't work out why some coaches can and others can't.

We had a generational player in Benji - love him or hate him - when he fired they all went with him. All teams that achieve a level of success have to have them no matter who the coach is and or where they find them.

How is it that guys like Sheens, Bennett and Gould, can just move players on whenever they see fit to begin rebuilding their squads instantly. Yet Other coaches like Maguire, Potter and Taylor had to ride contracts out, I always wondered what the diffrence was, is it the coaches themselves or is it the board room giving or not giving coaches free reign over the roster. If anyone has any insight in to how it might work it would be appreciated. I just can't work out why some coaches can and others can't.
They have been around long enough to know the importance of having workable relationships with the managers of big stables. They’ve probably got uncollected chits?
We can’t underestimate the importance and power these managers have.

The boards at the clubs with Sheens, Gus and Wayne are not game to question the coach.

Well said. Happy to have someone that'll make these big calls like letting Ken n Joe go. Whether we do or don't agree on the decisions we gotta have some faith in à very experienced operator. After rewatching all this years games again I expect AD won't be long behind them. I'm hoping that we are on the right track with a few wins and experienced players playing great and younger players starting to follow their leadership and showing belief in themselves and their abilities. Hoping we're becoming a more enticing place to play for.

Latest posts

Members online

Back