Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

“The merger club are reportedly the frontrunner to acquire his services, while the Knights have also reportedly put their name in the hat to sign the talented halfback.

However, Dragons powerbrokers have reportedly made it clear they will not contribute to Sullivan’s $500,000-per-season salary.”

Is he worth 500k for the next two seasons?
Its not a horrible amount but with the two young halves on roughly the same amount; they are still large contracts if you are playing one in reserve grade.
They have to chip in. No one is paying him 500k a year. He's proven nothing and had injury issues. Dragons just trying to play games and pay as little as possible. If Sullivan says he only wants to come to us, not Newcastle, then we can play hardball. They don't want him, he doesn't want to be there, they will chip in at least 150k.

He’s not worth $500,000 not in the form he’s in and the fact he’s most likely going to be a back up. He’s not exactly what we are looking for so if they don’t chip tell ‘em ti stuff it where the sun don’t shine!!

Agree be lucky to be 200k maybe 250k on potentially a season player all things considered.

He’s not worth $500,000 not in the form he’s in and the fact he’s most likely going to be a back up. He’s not exactly what we are looking for so if they don’t chip tell ‘em ti stuff it where the sun don’t shine!!
I don't understand why people get so caught up on the salary. $500,000 in 2024 is not what it used to be with the new cap. Also have to factor in position.

If there is one lesson learned from this season, it is essential to have halves to be competitive. I would rather have a starting half, even a first choice back up half on the same money as a starting centre or winger. I mean, Nofoaluma is earning more. 500k under the new cap is the equivalent to 300-350k on the current/old cap.

Most starting halves in the NRL are on 800k+, even Schuster. Spending on the halves is the highest priority as it is the biggest 'make or break' position. We also don't have the luxury of a Penrith or the like as decent halves won't come here on average money.

I don't understand why people get so caught up on the salary. $500,000 in 2024 is not what it used to be with the new cap. Also have to factor in position.

If there is one lesson learned from this season, it is essential to have halves to be competitive. I would rather have a starting half, even a first choice back up half on the same money as a starting centre or winger. I mean, Nofoaluma is earning more. 500k under the new cap is the equivalent to 300-350k on the current/old cap.

Most starting halves in the NRL are on 800k+, even Schuster. Spending on the halves is the highest priority as it is the biggest 'make or break' position. We also don't have the luxury of a Penrith or the like as decent halves won't come here on average money.
I get all that, but if wakeham is on 120 then Sullivan would be lucky to be on 250-300. Different if it is Pezet or a Trindall. We already have an potential running half in Latu, I’d be ok spending that sort of cash on a potential organising half. He’s most likely a back up in case Latu doesn’t work out, or a stop cap measure until Latu comes on.
It’s just Flanagan flexing his muscle, it’s his style to say your free to go but we’re not paying anything. It’s completely different if we’re moving on a unwanted player to him.

“The merger club are reportedly the frontrunner to acquire his services, while the Knights have also reportedly put their name in the hat to sign the talented halfback.

However, Dragons powerbrokers have reportedly made it clear they will not contribute to Sullivan’s $500,000-per-season salary.”

Is he worth 500k for the next two seasons?
Its not a horrible amount but with the two young halves on roughly the same amount; they are still large contracts if you are playing one in reserve grade.
Nope

It is supply v demand in the market for halves with few options available. We need a half to strengthen our roster and I am sure both clubs will come to an arrangement together with the player manager.
Spot on , Supply of half’s is limited to poor , hence manly paying more for Brooks and longer , they could see the issue. , Sezer On a 1 year plus 1 option is a good deal , Sullivan Could be a. Gem , it’s a risk but $ 4 to 500 is not big coin for half’s per season , the cap has increased , Dragon tip $ 50 to 100 k I’d take him , I’d take him at 500.

I hope not,he has never given the club any credit for supporting him while he was injured and twice left us as soon as he got an offer

I can’t blame him for leaving.. he has ended up getting the most out of his career and that probably wouldn’t have happened at the Tigers

Looking at our backline .. I’ll take him… might have to play in the centres though

Last edited:
3, one of them against us. One against Raiders who dropped the ball all game and had Wighton binned and a 3rd against Warriors who were missing 3 forwards.
do our 2 games count lol
remember all those wins were due to Hastings lol

Can’t wait for Newcastle to make the 8 and everyone on here who still thinks Hastings is no good can continue to say he’s no good lol

Basically got them on edge of the 8 without Kalyn Ponga most of the season.

Blah blah but he’s slow and he doesn’t do anything blah blah

Yes bc most of you don’t know what on organizing half is … he kicks and directs traffic … someone we haven’t had since robert Lui before sheens kicked hastings out ….

Blah blah he didn’t kick him out … he only told him to play lock bc he’s slow blah blah

I’m so glad I sent Pascoe and Lee emails and texts when they were thinking of releasing him pleading for them not to…. And they said

“We will not apologize for our recruitment decisions “

Lol.

Start the BS excuses about why hastings is no good and brooks is better and hastings left on his own accord …

Spare me

We have the wooden spoon

And before people say he got it last year … we lost our coach halfway through the year… hastings didn’t play a lot bc injured and also didn’t play halfback bc sheens wanted noddy to play him at lock….

We would be top 8 with him and API…

Everyone who disagrees has no idea
He would have shone in our team. Especially with Ponga at fulback, Best and Gagai in the centres and Young on the wing.

Who are our equivalents?

Teddy is done. If we signed him we would lose at least one of our young stars coming through. He not only jumped ship from us twice but supported other players leaving us openly in the media. He is of poor character off the field as well. Massive No from me.
I’m willing to give up a young “star” like Toa for him…

Loyalty is a two way street… the club moves on from players all the time .. (hello Joffa)…

Back