Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

While I agree that good players can make coaches look good, there’s probably a variety of reasons for our players’ hesitation and looking lost.
One possibility is micro managing, complex plays, or positional instability, players getting rearranged because coaches are looking for combinations?
Early in the season we saw some on field manoeuvres, like the run around, the show n go, the scrum play etc. we don’t see them now?
The good teams have a strong reliance on structure and shape, which never seems to become unfashionable.
Anyhow, I think when you have a novice coach, he’s gonna want to try a few things, that’s to be expected.
Sheens is a very good coach. He will see someone reinventing the wheel and enjoy walking with them through their learning experience. But he’s coaching the coach as I see it.
Yep the old KISS principle. The player who typifies this is Aaron Woods, played his best under Sheens when things were kept simple and he was a battering ram. Complicate his playing and suddenly he turns into a plodder.

I think structure and shape does become unfashionable. The difference is Melbourne get it and play a modern structure and adapt their game to suit the rules. ... Wests Tigers don't do structure.

Defense we need a strong structure. We need players who can trust each other and that only comes from structure and knowing that weaker players have a little less distance to cover. Our wing/Centre combos are leaking tries, yet that overlap needs to be managed. Some say Halfbacks manage that, others say fullbacks as the fullback can see the gap. Either way we don't manage that.

Attack however I get structured attacks like Easts and Melbourne. I also get Unstructured attacks like Manly. Both can work and I think our lack of structured approach had won us games vs melbourne in the past (decades ago).

if Sullivan gets 500k it makes Brooks 650k look pretty good value.
500k is the normal for a half these days
Not for a backup! Most club's backup halves are on 300 or less.
If Sezer, our first choice half signs on for 425-450k then Sullivan would have to be on much less. 300k is about right for him
How much do you think Madden is on at the Donkeys by comparison?

also was rumoured not to get on with bateman he signed when hastings left and also meant we got klemner too.
newcastle playing well Hastings doesn't have much to do with it
That is your way of backtracking from Hastings will have Newcastle finish below us on the ladder. As a Brooks fan you should just admit you are wrong, we all get it wrong sometimes

If Sezer, our first choice half signs on for 425-450k then Sullivan would have to be on much less. 300k is about right for him
I would pay alot for Sullivan than I would Sezer. I am content just to win a few extra games a year.

What do you mean man ? Just because Sezer is on 425 doesn’t mean a former Aus schoolboy 7 , who’s 21 , still highly rated ( if genuine questions around his commitment), isn’t worth more because as of X date the 33 year old is pencilled in to start .
It’s just not that simple . It’s literally why Reynolds only got 800k at the donkeys a few years ago . Even though when he plays he’s one of the best halves going around .
If you can get Sullivan for 500k you are laughing . That brooks deal is going to look worse and worse , especially with the hamstring injuries starting to creep in for brooksy. That’s 2 years in a row gone for a lengthy amount of time .
That gets worse not better ala Reynolds . And I don’t think manly have the same facilities as the bunnies and donkeys , to manage that . I would be real nervous about that deal . Reynolds doesn’t barely train during the week apparently . Spends a lot of time in ice baths and cryo

What do you mean man ? Just because Sezer is on 425 doesn’t mean a former Aus schoolboy 7 , who’s 21 , still highly rated ( if genuine questions around his commitment), isn’t worth more because as of X date the 33 year old is pencilled in to start .
It’s just not that simple . It’s literally why Reynolds only got 800k at the donkeys a few years ago . Even though when he plays he’s one of the best halves going around .
If you can get Sullivan for 500k you are laughing . That brooks deal is going to look worse and worse , especially with the hamstring injuries starting to creep in for brooksy. That’s 2 years in a row gone for a lengthy amount of time .
That gets worse not better ala Reynolds . And I don’t think manly have the same facilities as the bunnies and donkeys , to manage that . I would be real nervous about that deal .
I mean Sullivan has proven absolutely nothing. Serious question marks over his ability to play first grade and his fitness issues. He has to do something to prove he's worth good money, he hasn't achieved 1/100th of what Sezer has.
Sullivan will start next season in NSW cup as a replacement for Wakeham. He's not worth 500k to ANY NRL side. He's a fringe first grader until he proves otherwise. And if/when he proves himself then he gets a payrise

Last edited:
No he wasn't Brooks was - Hastings even said as much after the Souths win...
Brooks was the best player against Parra.

It's bleetingly obvious no matter how well Brooks plays
- There's those of you that just wont accept it.
And you are equally one eyed on the Brooks matter, just the opposite view

I mean Sullivan has proven absolutely nothing. Serious question marks over his ability to play first grade and his fitness issues. He has to do something to prove he's worth good money, he hasn't achieved 1/100th of what Sezer has.
Sullivan will start next season in NSW cup as a replacement for Wakeham. He's not worth 500k to ANY NRL side. He's a fringe first grader until he prices otherwise. And if/when he proves himself then he gets a payrise
It’s not how it works though . What are you basing that on ? Tui lolohea got 400k 5 years ago . And the cap has gone up exponentially since then . He was playing wing prior to coming across . Totally paid for his potential. At least Sullivan has shown something at nrl level .
Sullivan is infinitely better than Wakeham. And like you said you paying your nrl half 425k . We got API on massive unders , same for Bula , you can afford to take a punt on the guy everyone said was the next big thing 2-3 years ago . If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work .
We need game breakers . The attacking structures absolutely rely on it . Sullivan is that

Just wait till Brooks is over at Manly...that's going to be lots of fun
Do you think he’s going to kill in or a whole bunch of I told you so going on from the haters .
My prediction. We look like fools the first 2 years , maybe the third , come the 4th year once DCE is gone , and if fainu is surging there’s going to be countless nrl360 segments on the mismanagement at manly . Circa 2025/2026 it will begin .
But brooks will go very well next year .

Reactions: 851
Fast but had to be asked for ten years to run
Brooks should have only ever been seen as a poor man’s Craig Wing or Ewen McGrady or even Daniel Mortimer type of player.. he could have been a useful 14 or utility player brought on with 10 mins to go and needing some lucky points .. he has always been that type of player only.. never should have been the player a club tried to build a team around or she people have tried to mould him into an onfield general or organiser.. he just does not have the personality or the footy iq or the leadership ability required.. even the other night he went missing exactly when he was needed to step up.. the turnstile tackle on Keoana just when we were mounting a comeback and the hiding behind the ruck when we had 6 tackles in souths 20 epitomised his entire career at Wests Tigers.. never seen a player that is able to take exactly the wrong option so continuously and consistently..

Last edited:
This forum has a bias against people who win a couple of comps thats for sure.
It’s ok some people will not be able to cope with following a team that’s winnings, for them they are more comfortable following a bottom end team and putting in the boot at every opportunity. Don’t worry winning will bring silence….

Reactions: 851
I think Bula is going to be amazing.

But, if somehow Tedesco was to actually be in conversation of returning to the Tigers, I'd accommodate it.

It's not like bringing back some guy that offers nothing.

If Tedesco came back on a short deal, and the club had him in on something similar to how the Warriors are taking RTS back- he fits as we need him. He can play some fullback, with Bula to the centres (junior position) if that works. Or Teddy to the centres. Or wing. Or in some fluid thing where players move around a bit.

Tigers do not have players of Tedesco quality on the roster outside of Api. Everyone else is too young, or not of that level.

The only caveat to Tedesco returning should be that it is for the long term benefit of the young group coming through. Pass on experience, training habits, tips on development etc. I understand some people having resentment toward him for leaving...but geez.

Rubbish…
I’m happy to admit when he’s not played well.

The main difference in our argument - I’m yet to see any evidence (and none of you have certainly not provided any)
we’re a better side without him…
despite all your assurance over the past however many years that a trained monkey would do a better job…

I’m wondering who y’all gonna hold responsible for this crap team being a borderline crap team again next year - one guarantee is, it won’t be Brooks
I don't hold him responsible for anything. He has made the choice to leave and given our position- we can't go any lower with him here - I would hope the aim would be to recruit players who together can improve our position.

Back