Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

So we loose Hoffman early on in his contract year, wait half a year for Bulldogs to pay a portion of Nadens salary then sign him up in the vacant spot still keeping squad spot 30 available.
Pretty good business.
As long as business isn’t winning footy games

Any legs to the suggestion that Burto might want to follow Naden to WT?

Unhappy with Trent’s demise is the whisper.

I can understand Burton if we are moving madden on. But isn't doueihi a really similar player?

Probably unhappy with a bunch of things but I doubt he sees us as the answer to his problems.
From a young mate who used to play under him, I’ve heard Nado is very popular and has a lot of influence.

So a good player to sign to catch used Panthera.

Nado and Burto were hard core Trent disciples. They left a rugby league super-power to play for him. That reason has gone.

Burton..geez that would solve a lot of problems for us, more than a fighting chance during those back end disasters, when we often flounder.

From a young mate who used to play under him, I’ve heard Nado is very popular and has a lot of influence.

So a good player to sign to catch used Panthera.

Nado and Burto were hard core Trent disciples. They left a rugby league super-power to play for him. That reason has gone.

Burton..geez that would solve a lot of problems for us, more than a fighting chance during those back end disasters, when we often flounder.
Imagine Burton and AD outside Hastings.

I disagree here.
The vast majority of kids who are selected to play Matt’s & Ball never reach the NRL. This isn’t a failure, it’s just the order of things.
It does mean something if you represent Wests or Balmain at a junior level. It’s a proud moment for the player his family etc. Not to be sneezed at.
You are right, and I didn't explain myself properly.

I meant that being a Magpies junior has no meaning in discussions of first-grade affiliation / loyalty, simply because Magpies aren't at that level. I didn't mean that it was meaningless to the individual.

Simple.
Fully embrace the south-west.
Unfortunately it's a circular argument. If "fully embracing" the south-west was so simple, or so obvious, Wests Tigers or another club would have done it completely by now. Magpies have been there since 1987.

"Fully embracing" has many potential definitions, and I guarantee you different folks at Wests Tigers over the 2 decades will tell you they have fully embraced the Macarthur, or at least to the fullest extent possible.

We have to remember and accept that if it's a total geographical relocation you speak of, i.e. all services, facilities, junior base etc - that's not possible. Moving everything to Macarthur then leaves the Balmain district untended, to the same extent as one might claim the Macarthur is untended now.

Then the actual powerbrokers - the sponsors, big money and the owners themselves - mostly Inner-Westies. That is of course also the old Magpies heritage. The deal has been sealed with the Centre of Excellence at Concord.

You are right, and I didn't explain myself properly.

I meant that being a Magpies junior has no meaning in discussions of first-grade affiliation / loyalty, simply because Magpies aren't at that level. I didn't mean that it was meaningless to the individual.
hate 2 pick at scabs but, Magpies are more there than Balmain

How many players in that time have debuted for other clubs?
That was my question also. How many South West juniors debuted for anyone at all? It may be a an overall lack of talent in the region that is the cause of the stat, which then opens up a very broad argument not only about Wests Tigers investment in Macarthur juniors, but rugby league's prospects in the region overall.

The junior district stats from, I think it was 2018, showed that Balmain and Magpies have about the same number of juniors, and both dwarfed by the numbers fielded at Penrith. That may be a Magpies / WT issue, or it may be an issue with the demographics of the region itself.

Also - it may reflect an intentional change of strategy over time. The first 75 players to debut for Wests Tigers probably all occurred before the 2005 GF, and many of them were inherited from the Magpies, i.e. were part of the merger deal. The last 75 debutants would be up to 20 years removed from those first 75, reflecting a potentially very different recruitment and development strategy.

people get their knickers in a knot about our junior dev.we were top shelf in the U/20;s yet 2 or so players made 1st grade fo rus,and all the best ever;s we let go only got a handful of nrl between them.not many make the top of the heap

Latest posts

Members online

Back