Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Unfortunately a significant amount of the bias comes from you / from us as fans. We all see and remember the bad calls against Tigers and start to forget those against other clubs, because we are not emotionally involved.

I am pretty sure there is a provable subconscious bias for home teams, i.e. home teams tend to win the penalty count and win more than 50% of matches. But I think you'd be very hard pressed to prove a bias in either (a) bias towards good vs bad sides, or (b) bias specifically against Wests Tigers.

Even if you analyse penalty counts or scores, it would be as true to say that better teams score more points and force their opponents to concede more penalties, which takes the ref argument out of the equation.
Have no issue if we get outplayed. But where the bias is hidden is in the consistency of the penalties that are awarded. These refs are not stupid. The penalties they award can be justified as they are on camera. However, the lower sides do not get the same interpretation of the rules. For example, Tigs are half a meter offside. Ref blows a penalty to the Rorters. The replay shows it, penalty justified . Same scenario roles reversed. Penaltly not blown , therefore no replay forthcoming. When this consistently happens ( and it does) , it not only changes momentum of a game but decides results. And there can be no justification when the bunker gets it wrong. Until someone within the Tigs organisation calls this out publicly this is going to continue. Just want fair calls ,nothing more nothing less.

Woolfe has best team in a weaker comp.

Nrl success relies on defense and effort.

I dont think he will he successful unless its a top.4 club.

Im sticking with Madge for at least 1 more year
Madge has a lot of respect from the young guys he brings into NRL and the support he gives them. Both A.C and Api played as youngsters for Madge and have Seeked Madge out.
If Angus comes on board there will be a lot more love for Madge. Once Madge gets experienced cattle around the team with likes of Api & Pappi it will help the younger guys thrive.

p.s. I was try to make a beef pun with Angus & cattle but couldn’t pull it off.

His hands have improved in a large way over the off season & now has a very low error rate.

In saying that for a unit his size he should be running with more power/direct = larger post contact meters. I have never understood this from him, it's like he is worried about the body contact/playing injured alot.

Think he could dominate over in the ESL and really grow as a player over there.
Shame as he has some talent.
Gotta disagree mate . He goes from 2-3 drop balls to 1-2 every game . That’s from an enormously high error rate to a high error rate .
And the guys a good footy player .
In contrast to someone like Twal who is all efficiency . How many games have we lost because of errors at the wrong times . At 26-27 years old that should be a once in a couple of games type thing . And unfortunately for him that the reason he’s off to SL.
Hopefully he can return in a few years like Murdoch Masilla , a much more complete footballer .

Madge has a lot of respect from the young guys he brings into NRL and the support he gives them. Both A.C and Api played as youngsters for Madge and have Seeked Madge out.
If Angus comes on board there will be a lot more love for Madge. Once Madge gets experienced cattle around the team with likes of Api & Pappi it will help the younger guys thrive.

p.s. I was try to make a beef pun with Angus & cattle but couldn’t pull it off.
😂
You’re assuming we already have the Temple Grandin in our coaching ranks.

It feels to me like this Crichton rumour is gaining some steam and internally wests are making all the right moves to keep the journalists on the outside looking in. It happened with Api and Papali’i. They started reporting our interest but then almost instantly we’d announced the player within 24 hours.

I’d not be surprised if the negotiations are further down the track than we all actually know.

Whilst he won’t instantly turn the team into a top 8 side, I dare say we go up a level in becoming a destination that other players want to go to.

Signing him makes it our best recruitment drive in such a long time when you put his name beside Api Koroisau and iceman.

It’s all very exciting and doesn’t have a stink to it like plenty of others we’ve been connected to.

100%.
And more people should be.
Yes, with any luck the glorious future experienced by the Gold Coast Titans and Canterbury Bulldogs awaits us, if only we can spend absolute top dollar on a small handful of good players with zero regard to their actual value within a salary cap system. This should be our number one priority, as opposed to, say, having a constant production line of young, cheap, good players in the way dumb clubs like the Penrith Panthers and Melbourne Storm do.

The idea of kids aspiring to play for their local club - I honestly think that idea is mostly dead. Geographical boundaries for clubs are not what they used to be. Maybe if the family were club supporters it adds some charm to play for their childhood club, but we also know such things are easily discarded once young kids become young men within the first grade club they first join.
You might be right, but I find that terribly sad.

with regards Jordan Miller, I get that money is the prime reason he would head to Redcliffe. And good luck to him if this story is correct, it’s a tremendous opportunity for the kid. But my overriding point was that we don’t have a brotherhood type vibe amongst our juniors like say Penrith do with their Mt Druitt lads. I mean blokes are bashing each other up out west based solely on their postcodes so a sense of place is still important To some. And the Wests Tigers have absolutely no clear allegiance to any one place. They are definitely not rooted in the Macarthur region. In fact after years of neglect, the club is attempting to use the area as a giant breeding ground, yet heads home to the sanctity of the inner west every night. In many ways it’s like what the Sydney Roosters are doing with the Central Coast. They throw some money in, run a few coaching clinics and then expect first pick of any future star to emerge.

You might be right, but I find that terribly sad.

with regards Jordan Miller, I get that money is the prime reason he would head to Redcliffe. And good luck to him if this story is correct, it’s a tremendous opportunity for the kid. But my overriding point was that we don’t have a brotherhood type vibe amongst our juniors like say Penrith do with their Mt Druitt lads. I mean blokes are bashing each other up out west based solely on their postcodes so a sense of place is still important To some. And the Wests Tigers have absolutely no clear allegiance to any one place. They are definitely not rooted in the Macarthur region. In fact after years of neglect, the club is attempting to use the area as a giant breeding ground, yet heads home to the sanctity of the inner west every night. In many ways it’s like what the Sydney Roosters are doing with the Central Coast. They throw some money in, run a few coaching clinics and then expect first pick of any future star to emerge.

What do you do mate ? It's professional footy. They play game evenly at Campbelltown and Leichardt. They train at Concord. The reserve grade team is call the Magpies.

What would make it right for you ?

I think the players are playing their backside off this season.

Yeah Wests Tigers junior. That's exactly the point. Distinctions between Balmain and Magpies juniors is pointless. They are either Wests Tigers, or Wests, or Tigers juniors whatever name you choose.

Being a Magpies junior means nothing if you don't go on to play first grade for Wests Tigers, or play FG for someone else.
I disagree here.
The vast majority of kids who are selected to play Matt’s & Ball never reach the NRL. This isn’t a failure, it’s just the order of things.
It does mean something if you represent Wests or Balmain at a junior level. It’s a proud moment for the player his family etc. Not to be sneezed at.

What do you do mate ? It's professional footy. They play game evenly at Campbelltown and Leichardt. They train at Concord. The reserve grade team is call the Magpies.

Simple.
Fully embrace the south-west.

It is sad because we need more young players from the SW representing WTs. We have not engaged as well as we could with this area until recently with the new Pathways initiatives There is always room for improvement but imo the club will always represent Campbelltown/Macarthur region and the Inner-West. Let's get the COE built at Campbelltown similar to the one at Concord.
The club‘s neglect of the south-west and its effect on the Wests Tigers is perfectly illustrated by Magpie Memoir Magazine (January edition).

“Just to highlight how disillusioned the south-west has become with the Wests Tigers - of the first seventy five players to debut for the club, 12 came through the Magpie juniors. Yet of the most recent seventy five players to debut for the club, none are from the south-west.”

A massive IF for Angus at this stage, but IF he comes, then he, ipap, Hastings and Brooks SHOULD mean we can finally stiffen the edge defence. It has been better most weeks already, but we could really start to play a defence based game.

Personally, I'd what the Roosters did to him, threaten to take a finger every day he delays sgning. Poor bugger only later half a day last time.

The club‘s neglect of the south-west and its effect on the Wests Tigers is perfectly illustrated by Magpie Memoir Magazine (January edition).

“Just to highlight how disillusioned the south-west has become with the Wests Tigers - of the first seventy five players to debut for the club, 12 came through the Magpie juniors. Yet of the most recent seventy five players to debut for the club, none are from the south-west.”

How many players in that time have debuted for other clubs?

Some positive comments from Paul Kent finally.
They’re not getting tempted into offering another $100,000,” Kent said.

“I love that the Tigers have actually found the discipline to actually start properly evaluating players and say: ‘This is what we think he’s worth and this is where we sit’. They will negotiate up to that cut-off and that’s it.”

I didn't say he was from Balmain. I think everyone knows very well that Nofo is from the Magpies system. What I said "all-Tigers junior", and that encompasses both feeder districts. Adam Doueihi is as equally an all-Wests junior, if that's the word you choose.

Also I didn't say local pride means nothing. I said that the concept of a kid aspiring to play for the "local first grade side" is mostly dead. I definitely agree to your point that parochialism can be significant, and arguably more so in country towns, i.e. local derbies.

But I believe that pride in the local district, if it exists to some degree, is almost entirely independent of specific loyalty to a first-grade club for a boy in his teenage years. They will be loyal to whomever pays them well and offers opportunity and an enjoyable workplace condition.
Just to correct you on Jacob Liddle though.
He’s not a Terrigal Sharks junior, he’s a Wyong Roo.
And his dad John played in the centre’s for the mighty Gosford Townies, back in the day. 👍

Some positive comments from Paul Kent finally.
They’re not getting tempted into offering another $100,000,” Kent said.

“I love that the Tigers have actually found the discipline to actually start properly evaluating players and say: ‘This is what we think he’s worth and this is where we sit’. They will negotiate up to that cut-off and that’s it.”

I find Kent to be far more balanced in his views than just about any other "journalist" in murdochs media outlets.I certainly don't always agree with him but he seems to carry far less bias than the other flogs.

Back