Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Biggest stumbling block will definitely be Anasta, I can't see him promoting a move to the Tigers even for overs, just because of his experience when he was here
But his percentage on our massive overs would be nice.

Things we can control: we need a proper sport shrink and a fitness guru. You can count our number of “ genuine resilience” efforts on one hand over the last few years.

Even where we’ve jagged the lead, far too often, weve really struggled to maintain it.

Last edited:
2023 probably look like
1. Staines
3. Douhie
6. Laurie
7. Brooks
9. Api
13. Hastings

IF we did sign Munster perhaps we can look at releasing Douhie a year early so he can sign with Storm, never know
Big IF on Munster lol plus don't even think storm would want Douhie

Biggest stumbling block will definitely be Anasta, I can't see him promoting a move to the Tigers even for overs, just because of his experience when he was here
You are probably right but you never know what Munster might want to do if our offer's much better than any of the others he gets. He might just tell Anasta to take it. Most likely scenario though is he either stays in Melbourne or joins the Dolphins

I get your logic, and it makes sense, but Munster would be the catalyst or game changer we need to show other players we are a club good players come to
Munster would be almost as valuable as a drawcard for other elite players as he would be on the field

2023 probably look like
1. Staines
3. Douhie
6. Laurie
7. Brooks
9. Api
13. Hastings

IF we did sign Munster perhaps we can look at releasing Douhie a year early so he can sign with Storm, never know
Fastest halves pairing in the competition !!
Lowest rugby league IQ too 😂

Let it go man.

Basically the rundown is this: Munster says Tigers are a genuine option but doesn't want to rush in deciding his future and also Wigan have put a 350,00 fee for use to sign Bateman early, club not having that.
Obviously he will consider us, especially for big $.
But the lure of playing for a new club in your home state under the best coach ever would be slightly more tempting than playing for the wooden spooners i think

Basically the rundown is this: Munster says Tigers are a genuine option but doesn't want to rush in deciding his future and also Wigan have put a 350,00 fee for us to sign Bateman early, club not having that.

Bateman's form is very unimpressive and he would not be cheap,when you add a 350k transfer fee on that you are talking around about 1 million for him.That would be the biggest waste of money in the history of the NRL imho.Hopefully the club told them no in the most emphatic way possible

Is it big money though? Dragons are trying to resign him on 800k you could sign him on a similar deal to what Finucane signed on with the sharks with. Ie 900k but on a longer term deal with the final year being a reduced contract.
If he is close to retiring by that final year he doesn’t cost much in our squad if he is still in form he can cancel his final year and sign another extension. Likewise if he wants to move his family back to Queensland.
We don’t have one decent half coming through the ranks in our entire establishment.
Could be a Peter Wallace type signing that Penrith took a stab with in 2014.
And frankly he’d still be on a smaller contract that the Roosters signed Cooper Cronk on for two years.
It's big money when there are a slew of other halves we can pursue at the same time. And his ability/durability is only going to decrease from here on in. He'll be 34 a few rounds into his 2024 contract.
I'd no issue paying him $900k for two years if we had someone being groomed underneath to take over - but we don't, as you say.
Wallace was a signing along those lines, just a placeholder whilst Cleary was coming through.

Cronk was the last puzzle piece for a team on the verge of winning it all. If we were in a similar boat I'd have no issues with the age stuff, but we're miles away.

Back