Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Just me but wasn’t overly impressed with his confidence under the high ball (Laurie).

Think can summarise as prob did good things that don't get picked up on TV and did not do anything spectacular.

He doesn't talk. Not sure about stronger. He got poleaxed the other day haha
Yeh true, potential there tho.

The position he was in hulk hogan would of got smashed too

Time to move on. Most of us agree that he probably was never going to come and that Moses and his manager were playing the Tigers in order to jack up his salary at the Eels. Let's close the book and hope that the Tigers team collectively smash him when the two teams next meet!

Now, next topic, are we a realistic chance of securing Wellsby because, as I suggested way back, he is all class and is (to use an MLB term) a multi-tool player!

Time to move on. Most of us agree that he probably was never going to come and that Moses and his manager were playing the Tigers in order to jack up his salary at the Eels. Let's close the book and hope that the Tigers team collectively smash him when the two teams next meet!

Now, next topic, are we a realistic chance of securing Wellsby because, as I suggested way back, he is all class and is (to use an MLB term) a multi-tool player!
I think Lewis Dodd should be a higher priority than Welsby. Both fantastic players though

Laurie was busy, but high ball shy. The first game will tell us, because if it was obvious at the trial, and last years games, it will be obvious to the opposition. Love his heart but better suited to the halves.
One thing I noticed he was very vocal at the back directing our defensive line. That’s what coaches love to see

Why is 2 weeks out from season start important?

Reality is we have drawn out an extra $1m from the Eels cap/3rd party so it hasn’t been a total loss in some aspects. If he played us well we ended up playing the Eels and him basically as well cause now they can’t but a quality player because of his hike.

Re plan B, the biggest issue is quality on the market. The cupboard is bare so we will either have to take a punt, go with what we know or target a current contracted player. We could also flip the cash into another position to grab a quality player not a half.

Will be interesting how the next talks unfold and with whom over the next few months.
I guess the biggest problem was I hope Plan B wasn't forgotten about while Plan MM was going down

The Club would not budge on giving Brooks 3yr+ deal, plus given Eels came within $50k ($200k over 4 years)...MM decided to stay.
If legit the club made the right decision. Too much of a risk to sign him for that long without him even playing so far. If Brooks wants to get that kind of deal he’s got at least 10 rounds to show why he should be kept that long.

The Club would not budge on giving Brooks 3yr+ deal, plus given Eels came within $50k ($200k over 4 years)...MM decided to stay.
Glad they didn't. Using another player to try and.get a contract upgrade is pathetic.

Glad they stuck to their guns. Out of all this we actually came out ahead. Losing to a top 4 team paying only 50k less is great.

A half would have to come out of nowhere to be a better option than old brooks.

Makes me sick to say it but the reality. Let's hope he turns it around.
You’re not wrong on halves being bleak, but we cannot give Brooks a 3 year deal if he continues to struggle. If he does the club should only give him a 12 month deal with an option in their favour for 25. If he doesn’t take it see ya later.

George Williams, past his best, another Packer'. If injury or form affects one of the halves. Api can handle the role with a far improved Simkins playing hooker. This is not the end of the world, our halves are at least capable, and with our new pack and coaching, they will show their value. Early days yet , i expect more recruitment and with it ,a far better side.
George Williams is only 28. He certainly isn't past his best. If anything I'd say he's getting better. His form has been a bit up and down since he returned to Warrington. But that's more because he had arguably the worst pack in the competition and a coach who went scorched earth after taking over leading almost to open revolt. The moment Williams was taken out of the lunatic asylum and into the hands of his old coach, Shaun Wane, he was among the top players in the World Cup. The guy has one of the best short kicking games I've seen. Not afraid to attack the line. Good support player. Extremely solid defender. If we didn't have Dodd, Lomax & Welsby as our spine I'd have no problems with George. Top player. Whether he wants to go back to the NRL after Sticky outrageously blackened his name to anyone who would listen .... I'm not so sure.

You’re not wrong on halves being bleak, but we cannot give Brooks a 3 year deal if he continues to struggle. If he does the club should only give him a 12 month deal with an option in their favour for 25. If he doesn’t take it see ya later.
Yeah that would be crazy. Just saying ok paper he is the best available right now.

Cupboard is bare

George Williams is only 28. He certainly isn't past his best. If anything I'd say he's getting better. His form has been a bit up and down since he returned to Warrington. But that's more because he had arguably the worst pack in the competition and a coach who went scorched earth after taking over leading almost to open revolt. The moment Williams was taken out of the lunatic asylum and into the hands of his old coach, Shaun Wane, he was among the top players in the World Cup. The guy has one of the best short kicking games I've seen. Not afraid to attack the line. Good support player. Extremely solid defender. If we didn't have Dodd, Lomax & Welsby as our spine I'd have no problems with George. Top player. Whether he wants to go back to the NRL after Sticky outrageously blackened his name to anyone who would listen .... I'm not so sure.
he's the only halfback I think that would work in the allotted timeframe besides Brooks. 29 next year, three year deal would be perfect and give one of our young halves time to develop before taking the jersey in '27 next to Large.

Latest posts

Back