Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I started watching the Bye Round Podcast with James Graham and Tim Sheens but never had the time to get past about the first 15 minutes.

What does come out in those first few minutes is that Sheens and his wife have British Citizenship, that Sheens came back to Australia to tidy up some loose ends and that he wants to go back to England and do some traveling.

Sounds like England is where he wants to retire to, but in the meantime, the current deal has him as Head Coach for 2023/24 with Benji as Head Coach for the next 3 years after that, which is 2025-2027.

As things currently stand, in 2025 Sheens goes back to his "Director of Football" position for a further year, or "Director of Rugby" is what he actually says in the podcast.

That is what I got out of the podcast in the first few minutes and what supposedly is currently the plan, which as we know can go out the window at any time.

Fell asleep too?

Wouldn’t surprise me if things change over the next few years as Benji takes more control, knows what he wants & his confidence gains.

Suspect Sheens moves into the role of sorts

Lets hope it doesn’t happen in a contract period when a chunk of our young “guns” are off contract.
Sheens said on the “James Graham podcast” that he will be head coach in 24, then step back into head of football for 25.
Then he and his wife are heading back to England to enjoy retirement as they both have English citizenship.

& would prevent that muppet from ever being selected in first grade again regardless of how much Sheens seems to love him
100% Seyfarth all the way! *sic*
Make no mistake, if the club gets Latu Fainu, it is one of, if not the biggest, external junior signing in club history.

You wanted a circuit breaker?

He would be it.
Agreed, but we need to change this:
Nickname:Tuuderr
That is apparently Latu's nick name.

1) he has been in England since he was first fired by the tigers. His partner is English, he spoke about how he enjoys his time there. He returns every chance he gets. Last time was during the World Cup where he met up with his partner who was still over there. It’s on the ask the boss episode at the time. Just because you were born in a certain country does not force you to retire in that country.

2) he has stated multiple times “I am the interim coach for two years” the 5 year play is for the tigers. Not sheens.

a) calling someone stupid is a reflection on yourself, not them.

b) yes I can read. Which I think is evident by this reply.

c) I never mentioned Benji would not be working with recruitment on future squad members, which makes me question if you can comprehend what your reading.

d) you need stop personally attacking people, not only is it against the code of conduct on the website you are choosing to participate in. I understand that sometimes it will get more people to reply to you, and you may get a dopamine response when that little red icon is showing. But if it gets absorbed by your personality you may find life tougher in the future.

Good luck
Great post.
One thing that I don’t like on here is people taking pot shots at other posters just because they disagree.
Don’t play the man.

Fell asleep too?
Actually I didn't fall asleep, as a matter of fact I enjoy Sheens' story telling and just can't find the time at the moment to sit down for a couple of hours to have a listen. Will hopefully get around to it some time in the near future.

Also like James Graham and apart from the time he tried to chew off Billy Slater's ear have found him to be a very likable guy.

Actually I didn't fall asleep, as a matter of fact I enjoy Sheens' story telling and just can't find the time at the moment to sit down for a couple of hours to have a listen. Will hopefully get around to it some time in the near future.

Also like James Graham and apart from the time he tried to chew off Billy Slater's ear have found him to be a very likable guy.
Great post.

I share the same opinion on Jimmy Graham,he’s a great host with a genuine passion for Rugby League.

One of my biggest gripes is WT poor recruitment plus the incorrect use of the bench (Sheens has never really known how to use a bench correctly).

Why didn't someone with half a brain identify J'maine Hopgood (24 years old) from Penrith as a future NRL star with the WT.

He has been a sensation for the Eels and would have sorted out our troubled lock position.

WT should look at local juniors from Penrith, Canterbury and Eels as it is not a big relocation for players to head to Concord.

If Hunt goes to the Titans maybe some of their halves should be approached as they have some talent in their ranks. Hunt and Foran might be the preferred halves. I appreciate Foran losses a lot of games through injury but reunites with Hasler in 2024.

Also Warriors appear to have plenty of halves depth and maybe some of their Australian players want to come home to Sydney.

WT recruitment reminds me of the classic Del Amitri song "Always the last to know"

If Tommy and other players are being moved on this season let's not play them again in the NRL and give players like James, Matamua and Reilly a taste of NRL with an eye to 2024 and beyond.

Last edited:
One of my biggest gripes is our poor recruitment.

Why didn't someone with half a brain identify J'maine Hopgood (24 years old) from Penrith as a future NRL star with the WT.

He has been a sensation for the Eels and would have sorted out our troubled lock position.

WT should look at local juniors from Penrith, Canterbury and Eels as it is not a big relocation for players to head to Concord.

If Hunt goes to the Titans maybe some of their halves should be approached asap as they definately have some talent their. Also Warriors appear to have plenty of halves depth and maybe some of their Australian players want to come home to Sydney.

WT recruitment reminds me of the classic Del Amitri song "Always the last to know"
we were in talks last year with Hopgood to come across to WT, he chose Parra. wasn't that we hadn't identified him or that we didn't look at him, it's just that he opted to move to a side with it's premiership window wide open as opposed to one that had won the spoon.

we don't need juniors from Penrith, Canterbury and Parra. the plan is to identify and develop the best kids coming thru our ranks and for that to supplement our senior grades. we will certainly cherrypick off the back of that, but we're not Melbourne or the Roosters, we don't need to go shopping too often.

So if the rumours are true, and Fainu is coming across in the next few weeks. What is the likelihood that he plays a game of 1st grade this season?
Imagine if he does come across and plays NRL. Do you think other very talented halves/players at our own club will work that little bit harder or, those players from other clubs want in at WTs because there are opportunities?

Imagine if he does come across and plays NRL. Do you think other very talented halves/players at our own club will work that little bit harder or, those players from other clubs want in at WTs because there are opportunities?

I think the debut of Bula and in particular Tallyn really highlights those opportunities to other youngsters. Latu is by far and away the best player in the age group, yet another has already debuted before him while he sits behind someone who refuses to run the ball despite being 100kg.

I think hiring Fulton was a safety net due to his allegiance with Tartak and the hold on our key juniors.

Alot of people don’t appreciate the effort recruitment actually takes across the ranks. Benji & Farah can’t do it all they need a quality team around them that they trust to do their job and deliver what they need.

Sounds like Benji is taking more control on things.

This is the part that concerns me.

Can and do they trust Fulton and were they aware that he was coming?

Are they on the same page as Fulton?

Were they consulted or were they as surprised as Sheens was as to Fulton's appointment?

Yes Benji does need to take more control of things if he is going to put a team together that he actually wants for 2025.

Back