Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

We’re optimistic’: Panthers prepared to up Luai offer to ward off Tigers​

SMH

Panthers officials are prepared to increase their offer to Jarome Luai of a contract longer than two years to ward off big-money interest from Wests Tigers.

Luai, along with superstar halfback Nathan Cleary, will be back on deck on Friday when he begins pre-season training with the premiers.

The race for the Luai’s signature has become the most talked-about story over the summer after the 26-year-old, three-time premiership winner was paid a personal visit by Tigers coach Benji Marshall, and last week met with Canterbury supremo Phil Gould.

There have been suggestions Luai wanted to make a call on his future for 2025 and beyond by the time he resumed training.

But Penrith chief executive of rugby league Matt Cameron said the club was happy to give Luai all the time he wanted. The Panthers’ offer is reportedly worth around $850,000 a season for two years – some $300,000 less per season than the offer on the table from the Tigers, which is for four years and includes the chance to play halfback.

A third year on the Panthers offer, which would take Luai through until the end of 2027 – the same year his good friend Cleary is up for renewal – might just be enough to convince him to stay put.

“We’ll get Jarome back in the building on Friday and pick up our conversation from there,” Cameron told this masthead.

We’ve been in constant dialogue with him. He spoke to the coach [Ivan Cleary] just last week. We’ve been 100 per cent transparent with him, and he’s been 100 per cent transparent with us as to what is going on.

We just want to get him back in the building, make sure his shoulder is OK, then talk about his contract. There’s no rush from us. This talk of him wanting to sort out his contract before returning to training has never come from us, so I can’t comment on that.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – we’re optimistic we’ll get a deal done with Jarome.

“It will not be all about the money. And we’ve got a pretty good track record of players recommitting to the club and taking a little less for the chance to pursue something pretty special.”

SMH

Panthers officials are prepared to increase their offer to Jarome Luai of a contract longer than two years to ward off big-money interest from Wests Tigers.

Luai, along with superstar halfback Nathan Cleary, will be back on deck on Friday when he begins pre-season training with the premiers.

The race for the Luai’s signature has become the most talked-about story over the summer after the 26-year-old, three-time premiership winner was paid a personal visit by Tigers coach Benji Marshall, and last week met with Canterbury supremo Phil Gould.

There have been suggestions Luai wanted to make a call on his future for 2025 and beyond by the time he resumed training.

But Penrith chief executive of rugby league Matt Cameron said the club was happy to give Luai all the time he wanted. The Panthers’ offer is reportedly worth around $850,000 a season for two years – some $300,000 less per season than the offer on the table from the Tigers, which is for four years and includes the chance to play halfback.

A third year on the Panthers offer, which would take Luai through until the end of 2027 – the same year his good friend Cleary is up for renewal – might just be enough to convince him to stay put.

“We’ll get Jarome back in the building on Friday and pick up our conversation from there,” Cameron told this masthead.

We’ve been in constant dialogue with him. He spoke to the coach [Ivan Cleary] just last week. We’ve been 100 per cent transparent with him, and he’s been 100 per cent transparent with us as to what is going on.

We just want to get him back in the building, make sure his shoulder is OK, then talk about his contract. There’s no rush from us. This talk of him wanting to sort out his contract before returning to training has never come from us, so I can’t comment on that.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – we’re optimistic we’ll get a deal done with Jarome.

“It will not be all about the money. And we’ve got a pretty good track record of players recommitting to the club and taking a little less for the chance to pursue something pretty special.”
Aaaaand here we go.

We have been used again to inflate a marquee players contract elsewhere haha.

I have no doubt he will stay with Penrith

Seriously? One of the worst deals in history ?? WTF ? I just can’t with some of the posts on here sometimes ,,, they have to be just trolling , for real ! 😅😂🤣. The bloke is a 22 year old half , junior star with finals success and NRL experience and the “money men” on here want to whine and complain about what they earn as if it has any relevance to them whatsoever !! ! Ridiculous

Aaaaand here we go.

I think the complete opposite. If it comes down to us and them. he’d have to be made of stone to turn down the money we’re prepared to pay him. Penrith are going to sound confident. What else can they say?

Aaaaand here we go.

Lol. All I can do is laugh (well cry a bit because we've missed out again). When will we land a marquee? Juniors can only do so much with the team we have

I think the complete opposite. If it comes down to us and them. he’d have to be made of stone to turn down the money we’re prepared to pay him. Penrith are going to sound confident. What else can they say?

Yeah, I'm with you. All these hypochondriacs
talking about "not again" Haha. We're still
in the hot seat. Cameron sounds desperate,
not us. I'm still quietly confident he's ours

Aaaaand here we go.

Yep looks like we are going to be used again.

Tell luai deal is off if we have not received his answer by this Friday.
$1.125 per year X 4YRS TOTAL 4.5ML.
If he knocks us back Benji will have time to look for alternatives.

And he will have money and time to use to get what
suits us.

OTHERWISE WE WILL BE STILL BE WAITING LIKE WE DID WITH MOSES,

Yep looks like we are going to be used again.

Tell luai deal is off if we have not received his answer by this Friday.
$1.125 per year X 4YRS TOTAL 4.5ML.
If he knocks us back Benji will have time to look for alternatives.

And he will have money and time to use to get what
suits us.

OTHERWISE WE WILL BE STILL BE WAITING LIKE WE DID WITH MOSES,
I hope to God the club are reading this. Otherwise they will have no idea what to do

Seriously? One of the worst deals in history ?? WTF ? I just can’t with some of the posts on here sometimes ,,, they have to be just trolling , for real ! 😅😂🤣. The bloke is a 22 year old half , junior star with finals success and NRL experience and the “money men” on here want to whine and complain about what they earn as if it has any relevance to them whatsoever !! ! Ridiculous
If you're happy to pay over 2 million bucks to a player who's played more NSW cup than First grade and had numerous injuries then you're attitude is just off the toxic problem at this club. At other clubs players have to earn that money, we throw contracts around to everyone and then have a roster of nobodies on overinflated wages.

It’s great that Penrith are in no rush but. If Luai has agreed to a deal outside of them, this is the time now that they will be negotiating. They know the rules or at least should be. Do they expect Luai to wait around for them to drag their feet only to pick up negotiations when he is back in the building. Smells like a cover up of sorts. Is Luai really going to go back on his intentions of having it wrapped up before he starts preseason training with his team?

Sullivans salary is a function of the halves tax...every club has to pay it because there is not enough talent to go around in that position.

Most clubs will have 4 halves - 2 starters and 2 reserves. Total salary cap on these players is around 2 to 2.5 million - clubs can break that up however they like. Manly have Cherry-Evans and Brooks. Combined, they are on around 1.8 million. Moses and Dillon Brown are on around 2 mill combined. The issue these clubs face is there is a lack of depth if one or both go down injured.

I think we will have the balance right considering salary cap limitations. Even Api can slot into half if need be.

We have around a million locked up in Fainu and Sullivan. Sezer has a few hundred thousand for next year and Doueihi is taking up around 600k. If Luai signs on for 1.1 or 1.2 mill, then that's about right in the scheme of things once Sezer and Doueihi depart.

It would look like this as an estimate.

Luai 1.1 mill
Sullivan 550k
Fainu 500k
Galvin? 200-300k

Performance will dictate whether we persist with these players or the funds can be spent better elsewhere.
I would estimate Sullivan 450k
Sezer 350k
Fainu 250k
Galvin 125k

Currently

Reactions: 851
Just saw former lower grader, Logan Dillon has signed with the Panthers.

... The Berkeley Vale Panthers, in the Central Coast comp.
What happened with him? You used to rate him highly.

SMH

Sounds like Penrith might have invested in Uncle Nick's playbook and a paper bag.

Back