Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

It’s unlikely Shane Richardson will approve 1 million dollar or higher offers for Luai or AFB based on his recent comments.
I agree with him, you need to plan and accommodate cap space long term, not just be short sighted thinking about the next season or two.
Ricoh won’t have much say in regards to anything recruitment orientated - it has/will be a clear message that Benji has full control in regards to who comes in and out of the squad.

If Benji believes Luai/AFB fits the vision of what he’s trying to build then it’ll remain that way.

Fulton is also included in that as to my understanding they’ve both been able to move on from previous clashes - if that remains well we’ll find out.

People need to realise the difference between a chairman and a ceo. They also need to understand what makes a really effective chairman, the responsibilities, functions and requirements of corporate governance. I could go through the desired criteria from AICD but the short answer is the polar opposite of LH.
Is that Barry O’Farrell?

Ricoh won’t have much say in regards to anything recruitment orientated - it has/will be a clear message that Benji has full control in regards to who comes in and out of the squad.

If Benji believes Luai/AFB fits the vision of what he’s trying to build then it’ll remain that way.

Fulton is also included in that as to my understanding they’ve both been able to move on from previous clashes - if that remains well we’ll find out.
That's pretty much what he said today.

There's three of them. That means that with 2 halves in a team, one of them would miss out anyway. There is no guarantee that all 3 will turn out good. You think starting with 2 young halves at a club which has struggled for a decade is the way to go? No one to guide them around? Fainu I think will most likely be a great player, but Galvin is very young currently (not ready for 2025 to be paired with another early 20s player), and Sullivan has been inconsistent and injured so far in his NRL career. There's nothing wrong with competition in halves
you have to show a clear pathway for these kids . Signing a 27 year old for 4 years on 1.2 mil , doesn’t do that . I’m not against Luai ! But I don’t understand the effort for the Fainu brothers last year . Galvin will probably end up a centre . I’m just concerned about losing the kids that’s all .

I think people are looking too much into the sponsorship stuff. Even if Bryden‘s pull the plug, someone else will come along. Anyway, aren’t we supposed to have a millionaire backer?
Harry stated a few years ago his days of tipping in big money is over,but he would if it meant saving the club,with him having a major say in how it was spent

Reactions: 851
Richo has already explained it very clearly.
Top young talent will stick loyal if there is a clear pathway to playing NRL within 3 years, they will not be prepared to wait any longer.
Luai is a left sided halve, same as Latu Fainu and Lachlan Galvin.
Galvin can potentially play other positions, Fainu really only in the halves or as a 9 and we don’t appear to need him as a 9.
** Edit **
His interview this morning indicates we are still chasing Luai, so let’s see what happens.

Mate, he spoke of Luai directly re he wanted him at souths and his character as a leader. I would be very very surprised if we pulled out of the race for him.

After yesterday's drama at the tiger's ( which needed to happen yeeeeehaaaaa ) gus would've spoken to luai and mentioned to him what a mess the Tigers are, hopefully we haven't handed luai on a silver platter to the dog's

Andrew Voss just made the point that any player who was considering signing with us will probably look elsewhere due to the upheaval and instability. There's just too much uncertainty for any manger to point his players our way.
It's hard to argue he's wrong.
I feel sorry for Benji. The events of yesterday probably mean the squad he has now is the squad he'll have to make work.
I like having Shane Richardson running the show, but it's at the expense of the '24 and 25 seasons.
It's a strange point to make. The "stability" we may have had in the past has accounted for zero success.

Very easy argument to make that shaking the joint up, at the top level, should not specifically affect the player and should in fact bring some optimism of better times ahead.

Mate, he spoke of Luai directly re he wanted him at souths and his character as a leader. I would be very very surprised if we pulled out of the race for him.
Maybe he knows about this 5 million 5 year bulldogs offer and is trying to win him back. The extra year sounds good, but if we offer 1.2 over 4 years it's better value. I'm interested to see what the tax difference is between the two deals. Anyone know how to calculate this?

Hate to break the news here , but every politician has taken a bribe , or some legal loophole variation of it , like donations . There’s no way you can get to any form of power without selling your soul to a lobby group , private business , smaller parties like the greens etc .
He just got caught . Wasn’t the first , won’t be the last , and he probably pissed off the wrong person , or the intended target did .
I don’t know who hasn’t re wives something for nothing, even all those that do not wish to work! And take advantage of the system!

Maybe he knows about this 5 million 5 year bulldogs offer and is trying to win him back. The extra year sounds good, but if we offer 1.2 over 4 years it's better value. I'm interested to see what the tax difference is between the two deals. Anyone know how to calculate this?

The Bulldogs deal nets him an extra $132k over the 5 year term (using 2024FY tax rates)

It’s unlikely Shane Richardson will approve 1 million dollar or higher offers for Luai or AFB based on his recent comments.
I agree with him, you need to plan and accommodate cap space long term, not just be short sighted thinking about the next season or two.
If that’s the case we won’t get either , I bet he does go out and allow $ 1.25 for Luai and also AFB if Benji says we need them , he will also help Benji remove whomever he wants gone like Noffa

After yesterday's drama at the tiger's ( which needed to happen yeeeeehaaaaa ) gus would've spoken to luai and mentioned to him what a mess the Tigers are, hopefully we haven't handed luai on a silver platter to the dog's

If anything yesterday's events should have made us a more attractive destination to any player.

It's a strange point to make. The "stability" we may have had in the past has accounted for zero success.

Very easy argument to make that shaking the joint up, at the top level, should not specifically affect the player and should in fact bring some optimism of better times ahead.
It's sad that the WT has basically suffered for being a loyal club to their players.

Flip it, Easts treat players like absolute market trash. But Teddy and SBW show the Chooks utter loyality.

I agree, yes a board shakeup shouldn't effect the players concerned. We have the same coaching staff and the same hiring staff.

Where it does effect are the player managers. They want stability and solid offerings as far as contracts go, fair enough too as were talking 500k deals over several years, we don't want "hey David Klemmer, lets swap you out for New Zealand , you don't mind upheaving your family"!

Heck that stability thing, what on earth have we been doing lately. "congrats you are signed with us, now you are punted 6 months later". Joe O prime example.

Back to the board
Shane Richardson should be able to provide that stability, although he did have "performance clauses" with contracts at souths... His name should reassure people.

Back