Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

With money available,

I would make it
$6ML for 5 years.

when you compare what we were paying a previous half that we seldomly cheered for doing something great,
this guy would give us a bit of the Benji feeling back, and give our supporters something to cheer about, and he definately would help our team win more games than lose.
I think he would be worth it.
PERHAPS. But what is the thinking behind offering more than the Dogs on the 5 year deal? Are we that unattractive?

Has offering more money ever guaranteed the player before? If Luai doesn't want to be at the club, the extra money over 5 years won't matter to him. Is that fair to say?

Last edited:
I don't think thats the case. I purely believe from recent commentary that Richardson doesn't believe in paying props that sort of money as they aren't ''game changers''. The funds are better spent elsewhere - halves and fullback for example.

Richo has said our forwards are stocked fine to be propped up with juniors and should spend the money elsewhere. That was the reason they pulled the AFB deal.

Pulling out of the AFB race seems to be the smart move, considering the club is stacked for middle forwards coming through. Stef, Pole, Matamua, Miller, Kit Laulilii and Fa'agutu. Not to mention Twal is also signed long term and Samuela Fainu can also play up front.

Not all may work out long term but it seems to be an area which we have a number of kids coming through and only limited spots. These kids should be the priority, with the added bonus that none will break the bank early on meaning the money can be spent on areas of the squad where we are lacking.
Adding to this...our forwards actually got us down the field in most matches. We could just never convert it to points.

That takes its toll over a season.

The forwards we have now can do the job. We just need halves that can convert opportunities.

My biggest takeaway from us withdrawing our offer for AFB is the club must be increasingly confident of there chances re-signing Stefano long term beyond 2024.

There’s no way we withdrew that offer for AFB in 2025 if we’re of the belief that Stefano may test his market and is a chance of leaving.

I’d like to hope not cause if we somehow drop out of the AFB race and lose Stefano then all of a sudden our prop rotation long term isn’t looking as solid as we think. Especially with Blore leaving next year too.
Fingers crossed Pole will be in the prop rotation. He’s got some Spencer Lenui’s about him.

agreed. look at the forward pack Souths had in 2020 when Richo was there.

Tatola, Tom Burgess, Su'a, Sironen, Murray, Nicholls, Knight, Cartwright, Koloamatangi. a nice mix of toilers, local juniors and discards from other clubs. that's where we're headed.

I think the pack we have now is likely what we'll be with for a good period of time. there's a lot of value there with a lot of potential upside in guys like Utoikamanu, Papali'i, Pole, Twal, Sam Fainu, Laulili'i, Fa'agutu and Matamua.
My smokey for a good season is Samuela Fainu. I reckon he will be a bench stalwart in 2024.

My biggest takeaway from us withdrawing our offer for AFB is the club must be increasingly confident of there chances re-signing Stefano long term beyond 2024.

There’s no way we withdrew that offer for AFB in 2025 if we’re of the belief that Stefano may test his market and is a chance of leaving.

I’d like to hope not cause if we somehow drop out of the AFB race and lose Stefano then all of a sudden our prop rotation long term isn’t looking as solid as we think. Especially with Blore leaving next year too.
I did a quick comparison of where Stefano and Pole compared to AFB statistically at the same stage of their careers.

Interestingly, Stefano's stats are quite similar and Pole seems ahead of them both.

But surely .. this is something we should be able to do out in the Campbelltown area as it grows bigger and bigger .. create a nursery and develop kids just for the Tigers .. !!
100% mate I have mates who's kids/young men play in the Campbelltown area, he thinks some of the players are spectacular. Problem is for so long we haven't held on to them. Hopefully that changes but for that to happen we need results on field.

I do find it interesting that most people were on-board having a crack at AFB, including myself, and now Richo says we've withdrawn the offer, and many folks are saying "OK probably the right move".

If Pascoe had withdrawn the offer, same folks would probably have lost their minds.
Thats because Pascoe had no clue. May have been good with numbers but useless with anything footy. Presided over the losing the big four , hired that fool Taylor & showed the champion that is Tobbie Farah the door . Should have been sacked then .

He's right. While AFB is an upgrade, we have Stefano, Pole, Laulilli, Miller, Faagutu who should all be significantly improved by 2025.

Very much so. Plus the dynamics to support AFB coming in for the price just isn’t worth it for us.

If you break it down. We move a player on to do so comes at our cost. So that’s on top of AFB cost. If it’s a direct swap it would be a player we wouldn’t want to let go anyway so would the value of AFB deliver more than the trade - doubtful.

$1m plus shifted for a top quality back or split it for 2 good nrl players adds more value to us IMO based on our current squad dynamics.

Thats because Pascoe had no clue. May have been good with numbers but useless with anything footy. Presided over the losing the big four , hired that fool Taylor & showed the champion that is Tobbie Farah the door . Should have been sacked then .
Would be curious to know what Richo thinks of Taylor

Reactions: 851
He didn’t hire Taylor.

After reading about the dogs offer for Luai, it's safe to say that Gus will pursue anyone from the Panthers and tell the rest of the world he's not interested. Only issue is, will Gus be re-assembling his old troops only to realise that once they are out of the Panthers system, they may not be the players they once were. It may pay off but Dogs supporters should be very wary of Gus trying to replicate a system that may be abit dated by the time its in place. Just an old Panthers MKII team.
Have you forgotten that Gus created the Panthers system?

Pulling out of the AFB race seems to be the smart move, considering the club is stacked for middle forwards coming through. Stef, Pole, Matamua, Miller, Kit Laulilii and Fa'agutu. Not to mention Twal is also signed long term and Samuela Fainu can also play up front.

Not all may work out long term but it seems to be an area which we have a number of kids coming through and only limited spots. These kids should be the priority, with the added bonus that none will break the bank early on meaning the money can be spent on areas of the squad where we are lacking.
Yeah the forward pack is fine.

Its 7, 2, 3 and 4 thats the concern.

Honestly hope nofo doesnt start next year. Clean slate.

Can't figure out if you're trying to act smart
or have been living under a rock lmao.
There's been friction since the appointment
was made behind Benji's back, it came to
a head when Fulton wanted to sign Schuster.
Articles & people talking about this exact
issue for months must have alluded you.
I'm backing the coach, not the recruitment guy.
I think he is talking about the comments Richo made in the Bye Round podcast in terms of how he percieves WT goes about recruiting.
He went on to talk about recruiting Jai for example whom it was reported we were after at the time.

Yeah the forward pack is fine.

Its 7, 2, 3 and 4 thats the concern.

Honestly hope nofo doesnt start next year. Clean slate.

Who you got at 5 and 6 ?

I hope it’s not Topou… can’t catch a high ball….needs to be given a go in the centres

Staff online

Back