Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

After reading about the dogs offer for Luai, it's safe to say that Gus will pursue anyone from the Panthers and tell the rest of the world he's not interested. Only issue is, will Gus be re-assembling his old troops only to realise that once they are out of the Panthers system, they may not be the players they once were. It may pay off but Dogs supporters should be very wary of Gus trying to replicate a system that may be abit dated by the time its in place. Just an old Panthers MKII team.
Have you forgotten that Gus created the Panthers system?

Pulling out of the AFB race seems to be the smart move, considering the club is stacked for middle forwards coming through. Stef, Pole, Matamua, Miller, Kit Laulilii and Fa'agutu. Not to mention Twal is also signed long term and Samuela Fainu can also play up front.

Not all may work out long term but it seems to be an area which we have a number of kids coming through and only limited spots. These kids should be the priority, with the added bonus that none will break the bank early on meaning the money can be spent on areas of the squad where we are lacking.
Yeah the forward pack is fine.

Its 7, 2, 3 and 4 thats the concern.

Honestly hope nofo doesnt start next year. Clean slate.

Can't figure out if you're trying to act smart
or have been living under a rock lmao.
There's been friction since the appointment
was made behind Benji's back, it came to
a head when Fulton wanted to sign Schuster.
Articles & people talking about this exact
issue for months must have alluded you.
I'm backing the coach, not the recruitment guy.
I think he is talking about the comments Richo made in the Bye Round podcast in terms of how he percieves WT goes about recruiting.
He went on to talk about recruiting Jai for example whom it was reported we were after at the time.

Yeah the forward pack is fine.

Its 7, 2, 3 and 4 thats the concern.

Honestly hope nofo doesnt start next year. Clean slate.

Who you got at 5 and 6 ?

I hope it’s not Topou… can’t catch a high ball….needs to be given a go in the centres

Wheres his junior nursery this time? He had that luxury last time.
It sits between ours, Parramatta and St George.
Don’t be surprised to see him recruit from the surrounding territories slowly building out their junior catchment area.

Don’t be surprised to see him recruit from the surrounding territories slowly building out their junior catchment area.

if that happens to us… tell him to sod off and do the same to him,,,

A lot of that has to do with the Pantherisation of NSW that Freddy implemented. Instead of coaching them differently not like a club team, he copied Ivan's homework and got a C minus. A big part of NSW halves struggling (Cleary, Luai) is Yeo getting in the way and doing too much ball-playing. Cody Walker played with Cameron Murray in game 3 and it opened him up a lot more than Yeo at first receiver. Same argument could be used for Cleary who has been underwhelming in the tight Origin games so far. He tends to get the plaudits in the games where NSW dominate forwards and backs but goes missing in deciders. I don't think Luai will get picked by Madge as he is the scapegoat for last year's series despite being one of our better players in game 1 and tried hard in game 2, but Teddy will still somehow get picked despite being the main reason we lost the first two games
Ffs Madge will have Brooks , Talau and most likely Jackson Hastings in the run on and I’d say Moses Mbye if he wasnt already a qld player… I’ve never been so disappointed in a coaching appointment since Jason Taylor was signed for the Tigers at the start of the dark times, of Pascoe Empire

Last edited:
Reactions: 851
Gus once said the ‘Roosters’ were one of the best development clubs. This was based on the fact they steal others best local juniors and then ‘develop’ them. Bulldogs will do the same.

The thing is you can both develop juniors and try to build a team for today. It’s just our bunch of incompetent clowns wanted to convince us otherwise which in my mind was always just an excuse to fail for another 2-3 years and stay in a job.

It is very easy to see how you could come to that conclusion,our board redefined the meaning of both incompetent and inept

You’re always going to back the coach, Especially publicly.
Hopefully no more shit like there are 3 things that are certain in life, death, taxes and the coach being here next year.

Don't know about anyone else but I've had enough of that shit and hopefully won't ever see it here again or at least any time soon.

Sorry my typo…re-hired him… extending his contract after the mess he had made up to that point. That’s actually worse.
He didn’t do that either. Taylor was sacked three games in to his third season. He was never extended.

If that is your stance now then we are agreed...but thats not what you said originally and thats what I responded to.

"Ricoh won’t have much say in regards to anything recruitment orientated - it has/will be a clear message that Benji has full control in regards to who comes in and out of the squad.
If Benji believes Luai/AFB fits the vision of what he’s trying to build then it’ll remain that way."
I don’t see how that quote above suggests that I wasn’t implying that Benji should have full control in who comes in/out of the team?

Richo shouldn’t have much say in the players we bring into the club as Benji has a specific plan on what style of football he wants this team playing and there may be a disconnection there.

However, the financial side and how that deal gets done should be handled by the experts aka Shane Richardson and co.

The thing is you can both develop juniors and try to build a team for today. It’s just our bunch of incompetent clowns wanted to convince us otherwise which in my mind was always just an excuse to fail for another 2-3 years and stay in a job.
I've got a challenge for you: show me a single example from any point over the past decade where Tigers management have said they're not trying to put a good team on the park at the present time and are only focused on the future. I bet you can't.

The club has done a crap job of building competitive rosters - that much is patently obvious. But at no stage has this been because the current roster is being sacrificed for some idea of future pay off. We've hardly produced and juniors of any quality since Moses and Tedesco, for one thing.

I've got a challenge for you: show me a single example from any point over the past decade where Tigers management have said they're not trying to put a good team on the park at the present time and are only focused on the future. I bet you can't.

The club has done a crap job of building competitive rosters - that much is patently obvious. But at no stage has this been because the current roster is being sacrificed for some idea of future pay off. We've hardly produced and juniors of any quality since Moses and Tedesco, for one thing.
Tim Sheens said as much in his first interview when he took over as coach.

We have also released several players who would still be in our top 13 over the last few years only to end up signing no one. It’s always freeing up space for next year, but next year never came.

Latest posts

Back