Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Actually met the bloke used to deal with him a bit out at North Sydney. He redefines arrogant.
Been at several lunches on the same table with him...think he brings his own soapbox wherever he goes,...and u certainly dont wanna have a contrary view on any subject(because hes an expert on them all!...and will tell you so!)
To be fair ,hes been pretty successful ,particularly as an author where hes sold zillions of books...well researched,but complemented with substantial fiction.Ive read several,the best of which was the one on his early life growing up in Berowra.. interesting holiday read

Last edited:
Smith is the best. Opinions on commentators are usually pretty split. I think Smith is the only one who I’ve never seen anyone complain about.

I've heard him say he was a Wests fan growing up.

Is he related to Wayne?

Some similarities.

Been at several lunches on the same table with him...think he brings his own soapbox wherever he goes,...and u certainly dont wanna have a contrary view on any subject(because hes an expert on them all!...and will tell you so!)
To be fair ,hes been pretty successful ,particularly as an author where hes sold zillions of books...well researched,but complemented with substantial fiction.Ive read several,the best of which was the one on his early life growing up in Berowra.. interesting holiday read
I also grew up in Berowra. Well Berowra Heights. I didn’t know he grew up there.

It’s a highlight of attending the footy not to have the game interpreted by blatherers.

Those periods of relative quiet when the players are softening up and testing each other. The chess part of the match.

The nrl seem hell bent on ending the mid field contest. Metres seem cheaper these days ( for other sides anyway).

I’m not against the general swing for attack, but sometimes I miss the hard yards.

The winger doing a double flip, reverse turnpike, leapfroggy somersault to score with one finger on a single blade of grass is getting ho hum ( unless it’s us). I like the wedge or Stef carrying 4 defenders over with him in the islander Geronimo goose step.

Oh yeah, we signed Jerome.

Last edited:
He’s boring too.

I met DWZ once whence he was a dog

He was so humble and cool, Blorey quality of person.

It was during his days of struggle, so nice to see him come back.

I like Blorey, but for the record, it was a sound swap on paper. We simply couldn’t miss the opportunity to get Olam operational again.

Exploratory player surgery, pass me the knife, sutures and wipe my brow!

I think Olam was always under appreciated at the Storm. Lost in the hustle and bustle of marquee.

For us, he’s so big time!

Just my thoughts. I’m looking forward to meeting him.
I remember one night we played at LO... Lost, but long long after ALL the players had gone Inside MWZ Was still going around the perimeter fences.. Signing autographs and posing for photos

I remember one night we played at LO... Lost, but long long after ALL the players had gone Inside MWZ Was still going around the perimeter fences.. Signing autographs and posing for photos
Yeah it doesn’t take much and it’s part of the territory.

Unless of course you’re a psychopath like Catterson.

He looks like he could turn into one of those domestic violence husbands one day.

Him and RCG. Pour beer on their wives for not making their dinner hot enough,

We might have the spoon, but at least our players are good blokes. The good die young l suppose,

It’s a highlight of attending the footy not to have the game interpreted by blatherers.

Those periods of relative quiet when the players are softening up and testing each other. The chess part of the match.

The nrl seem hell bent on ending the mid field contest. Metres seem cheaper these days ( for other sides anyway).

I’m not against the general swing for attack, but sometimes I miss the hard yards.

The winger doing a double flip, reverse turnpike, leapfroggy somersault to score with one finger on a single blade of grass is getting ho hum ( unless it’s us). I like the wedge or Stef carrying 4 defenders over with him in the islander Geronimo goose step.

Oh yeah, we signed Jerome.
The biggest example of this is the 20 metre zero tackle restart. It was brought in to stop teams kicking dead on purpose to take the return by the likes of Jarryd Hayne and Billy Slater out of the game. But it also acts as an incentive against normal fifth tackle options: kicking a grubber for a winger who can't quite ground it is obviously not a negative play, yet it has the same outcome as booting dead from half way. Worse, there are completely peverse outcomes: if a winger dives for the line and drops it in play, restart with a first tackle at 10m. If he drops it in goal, zero tackles 20m.

It would be really, really easy to resolve, too. Just say that the zero tackle rule applies to any kick taken from outside a certain range - say, 30m. Or kicks that go dead untouched, or dead through the back of the in goal. But the NRL has no interest in making this 'fair' - they just want as many sets as possible starting in good field position, thus increasing the chance of points. The best thing about this rule is that it gives teams a leg up right at the handover, so it's relatively low impact.

It will backfire eventually. You already see teams dying with the ball on the fifth rather than risking a 20m restart, especially at the end of games when protecting a lead - when they judge that the risk of a 20m restart is greater than the pay off of possibly scoring. And in golden point, teams often turn down long range field goals because the relatively low chance of scoring isn't worth the better opportunity the opposition will likely get from a 20m zero tackle restart. Sooner or later there will be a period of time in which goal line defence has the upper hand, and teams won't want to roll the dice on the last unless desperate or with a gigantic overlap etc. But then the NRL will just change the rules again.

Is this a cricket thread?

Haha..off season tendencies I think. Personally I like how this thread sometimes evolves into different things. I know we have tried to keep that in other threads, but the fact is this thread is the only one most care about so this is where the most traffic is. It can vary away from the thread title a lot as a result.

Members online

Back