Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Mate I work in a few places, Canberra included.
They aren’t doing it nearly as tough there as the rest of the country are.
Whilst the rest of the country receives natural disasters every other year, Canberra doesn’t. They had a firestorm years ago that affected one small section of it and as I understand it, human incompetence caused that more so than nature. As a result, you don’t pay through the nose there for building and contents insurances. In fact it’s the cheapest of all cities.
Property values are going off their heads there. Canberran house price medians are the second highest in the country.
Crime rates are low. Like really low.
Salaries and wages are high. Per capita, the best outside of WA and it’s mining.
It’s full of culture. National Museum, National Library, National Gallery, National Zoo and Aquarium, Australian War Memorial, Australian Defence Force Academy, Australian National University, Royal Australian Mint, High Court of Australia, Australian Institute of Sport, Parliament House, Old Parliament House, National Carillion…
It is well set out and easy to navigate. You can pretty much get anywhere from anywhere in less than 40 minutes.
Access to the South Coast is 2 hrs
Access to the Ski Fields is 2 hrs
Access to National Parks is less than an hour
Access to Lakes and Rivers is an easy day trip.
They have an NRL team, a Super Rugby team, an NBL team, an ABL team, an AIHL team, an A-League Women’s Soccer team, AFL is played there live quite regularly, Big Bash Cricket and International ODIs are played there regularly.
There are lots of festivals - food, culture, music
The weather isn’t great in Winter and Summer can be very hot but Spring and Autumn are great.
It’s no shithole.

You must work in the Public Service?
- They're the only people that talk about Canberra like that....
(And why wouldn't they - Need to keep the price of their 5 Investment properties up,
They've all accumulated from being paid far too much to basically do nothing)
And are quite happy to tell you all about it...
Who could forget the local uproar, When the Government was looking to filter the Public Service positions
throughout the Country to spread the wealth around a little more...

So, If I have this right...
Summarising your points - You're saying it's a nice place to work 'sometimes'?
Maybe it's not as good a spot as you think it is,
And maybe I would know much better than someone passing through from time to time.

You must work in the Public Service?
- They're the only people that talk about Canberra like that....
(And why wouldn't they - Need to keep the price of their 5 Investment properties up,
They've all accumulated from being paid far too much to basically do nothing)
And are quite happy to tell you all about it...
Who could forget the local uproar, When the Government was looking to filter the Public Service positions
throughout the Country to spread the wealth around a little more...

So, If I have this right...
Summarising your points - You're saying it's a nice place to work 'sometimes'?
Maybe it's not as good a spot as you think it is,
And maybe I would know much better than someone passing through from time to time.
Haha no I’m not a public servant. I’m an independent contractor who occasionally works for a certain department.
I like Canberra for the reasons I gave. I bought an investment property there 22 years ago and will pass it on to my kids when I’m done.
You sound very jealous of public servants. What is it you do?
Also do you live there?

Canberra isn’t a crappy place to live.
It’s a hidden gem in many ways.
I don't mind Canberra in Spring and Autumn...

Too cold for me in winter - and I always travelled there for work in that mid-winter period - or in the hottest times in late summer.

But for a Northern pommy - I can understand why he would want to live in a more coastal and diverse environment!

Haha no I’m not a public servant. I’m an independent contractor who occasionally works for a certain department.
I like Canberra for the reasons I gave. I bought an investment property there 22 years ago and will pass it on to my kids when I’m done.
You sound very jealous of public servants. What is it you do?
Also do you live there?

Jealous.... HAHAHA!!
Hardly!!
I see that system sap the soul from good men, and turn others (who aren't already)
They can have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working under the assumption that it would be him who pulls the pin. And not because of how we perform., just how his body holds up to the demands of NRL. I’ll be surprised if he has 3 more seasons in him.
I was very impressed with his start to the season last year and then he dropped his bundle once the losses became a weekly occurrence. To me the bloke is just ultra competitive so I wasn’t surprised he was England’s best in the end of year 3-0 whitewash over a strong Tongan side.

So until I see his hunger to win drop off I’ll back him. He has that mongrel in him that so many of our recruits in recent years never bothered to pack in their kit bag when they joined us.

Might not look much physically with the skinny white legs but you can just tell he’s a guy others would want to go to battle with. We need to retain guys like him and Paps for 2025 when we start the climb back to relevance.

Jealous.... HAHAHA!!
Hardly!!
I see that system sap the soul from good men, and turn others (who aren't already) into F*ckwits....
They can have it.
A fair criticism. It doesn’t explain your hatred of the success they see.
Public Servants are paid less than private enterprise.

Reactions: 851
A fair criticism. It doesn’t explain your hatred of the success they see.
Public Servants are paid less than private enterprise.

Success? Measured in what terms?
I don’t know how many of public servants I know personally that believe they could never turn up to their roles ever again - and no one would even know they were there to begin with….
I don’t hate any success for anyone…
But there’s so many of them just there for the coin.
I do hate paying tax!!

I have no issue at all with someone going out and earning what they’re worth…
Most public servants can tell you what their job role is, but not actually what they do… outside of “stay out of the way”

Not too dissimilar to when you drive past a heap of council workers and there’s 10 blokes standing around watching one bloke dig a hole or fix a tap (Its not just me -
Everyone whinges about that)
Again, I’ve know people that lined up to get on the council who will tell you straight, the lack of well paid productivity is like nothing they’ve witnessed in their working life…

I liken the majority of them to dole bludgers - just much better paid…

Solid forward pack, Our backline doesn't scare anyone.

club needs to address this immediately.

We need to be able to score

Our foward pack is solid ,but very one dimensional.Not much tackle breaking ability besides Papali’i.Pole has potential but needs to told he’s an impact prop.
Line speed ,play the ball speed and kick chase desperately need an overhaul.

2nd half and Field uses his speed again to create space for his winger who scores in the corner.
Luai, French and Field and we're winners.

Our foward pack is solid ,but very one dimensional.Not much tackle breaking ability besides Papali’i.Pole has potential but needs to told he’s an impact prop.
Line speed ,play the ball speed and kick chase desperately need an overhaul.
One dimensional seems par for the course for a pack coming off a wooden spoon. Idk how much to expect from Ice until Luai gets here and he has a half that can put him into a hole. Plus, it will be a contract year, so expect a big year from Pap in 25.

Latest posts

Back