Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I don't think we will be bringing in a front rower or lock based on Richo's previous comments. When pulling out of the AFB race he indicated that we were well stocked in the middle forwards and did not want to block the path of the young guys coming through.

Prop - Klemmer, Stefano, Pole, Seyfarth, Samuela Fainu, Sione Fainu (if re-signed), Twal and Jordan Miller would take up 8 of the top 30 spots with Faagutu also able to play front row.

Lock - Kit Lauilii, Matamua and Faagutu are all top 30 next season with Pole and Seyfarth also able to play there. I believe Pole and Seyfarth are being used as make shift locks until one of the three kids emerges.

Based on the current squad, you would have to assume that we are looking at 2 wingers/centres and 1 backrower. Outside of Papalii and Bateman we lack depth and experience in the second row. Tupou will need to be replaced and To'a and Staines are probably the least convincing first grades in our first 13.
Happy to go with Sione Fainu. Looks like a versatile middle & hopefully with his brothers around him he will stay. Keep Latu happy as well if behind Galvin & Luai for the starting halves spot. As many say Galvin may development into an Isaiah Yeo type of 13.

Backs of note - Isaiah Tass, Zac Lomax, Corey Oates, Dane Gagai, Remis Smith, James Schiller , Tesi Niu... Doubt we land Turuva after his comments the other day.

Maybe there's a swap with the Doggies for a Tracey, Wilson or Kiraz for Bud Sullivan? I'd take any of them. They can't fit all the backs into one backline each week.

Backrow - Jazz Tevaga, Jack Williams, Jaydn Sua... Elliot Whitehead? Could Bateman sway him or would people be happy with Luke Garner back. I would after his Penrith experience.

Last edited:
Doueihi needs to improve his lateral defence and that was before his two knee ops. He is long odds to remain here Id say.
You are correct regarding top 30 positions however I’d still want to bring in some more established middles.

Heard Robbo talking about Drew Hutchinson the other day, And how much the Roosters missed him
And thought, Doueihi would be a good fit to replace a player like that....

Then there was a photo of them talking at the game...
Who knows.

I think he's a bit battered and bruised to stay the path here, Also think he's got enough Ego about him to think he'll get a better spot elsewhere.

I dont think anyone was suggesting a fully fit and firing Olam doesnt improve our backline by a long distance. I think people (me included) were worried by his form last year and potential injuries he might be carrying, especially with his style of play. So far so good, he has been awesome. Long may it continue

The forgotten man in all this is Da Silva, no one seems to have him in their thoughts of the team going forward on here i mean not within the club.
Everyone is having Bud and or Latu on the bench, the only time Da silva gets a look in is when and if Api is injured/origin duty.
Imo what i've seen of Bud so far i'd be having Da Silva on the bench, granted this year might be all about toughening him up against men in cup. But Da Silva must be in the convesation he's probably not waiting 3 yrs until Api retires.

I see little value in having Bud, Latu or TDS on the bench fulltime. At least Latu probably can cover a few positions but the risk then is he becomes another AD or Mbye.

TDS is our long term 10yr hooker atm, his time will come and he would get more value playing full games than 0-15mins off the bench over the next 18mths.

If Benji wants a bench warmer put the 3 on rotation if they aren’t viewed as starters right now.

I think if Doueihi can rehabilitate his knee and perhaps play one or two games before the end of the year, he will be in a strong position to land a new contact as a half with another club. With the shortage of halves in the NRL, he could be in a position to do well.
The main shortage is of halfbacks not 5/8s and while I think doueihi does have the potential to be a good 5/8 he isn't there yet and at this stage of his career no one is going to give him the game time and opportunities to get there.

Doueihi is better off acknowledging that fact that the time where him being a spine player was a realistic possibility has passed by much like it did jack bird.

He should work toward being a good centre or lock because unless he found a way to massively improve his footy iq while injured that is his best path toward staying in the nrl

I don't think we will be bringing in a front rower or lock based on Richo's previous comments. When pulling out of the AFB race he indicated that we were well stocked in the middle forwards and did not want to block the path of the young guys coming through.

Prop - Klemmer, Stefano, Pole, Seyfarth, Samuela Fainu, Sione Fainu (if re-signed), Twal and Jordan Miller would take up 8 of the top 30 spots with Faagutu also able to play front row.

Lock - Kit Lauilii, Matamua and Faagutu are all top 30 next season with Pole and Seyfarth also able to play there. I believe Pole and Seyfarth are being used as make shift locks until one of the three kids emerges.

Based on the current squad, you would have to assume that we are looking at 2 wingers/centres and 1 backrower. Outside of Papalii and Bateman we lack depth and experience in the second row. Tupou will need to be replaced and To'a and Staines are probably the least convincing first grades in our first 13.
Galvin will be the perfect lock. Great motor, defence and ball playing

Maybe there's a swap with the Doggies for a Tracey, Wilson or Kiraz for Bud Sullivan? I'd take any of them. They can't fit all the backs into one backline each week.
This would be a great idea for 2025. Kiraz and Wilson are dogs through and through. I could see Tracey maybe becoming available for a swap like this.

What do you budding Wests Tigers recruiters believe would be a salary to get Sunia Turuva to the Tigers that is too good for him to refuse without us overpaying?

Whilst we can't offer him 1st choice fullback, we can offer him the opportunity to nail our right centre position! Strong & powerful metre-eating line-breaking centre with good defence.

Penrith are reported to not be able to offer more than $350k and obviously have to weigh in his love for that club & potential more premierships in the short term.

NRL rookie of the year, premiership player, Fiji test player & Api's cousin!

What do you budding Wests Tigers recruiters believe would be a salary to get Sunia Turuva to the Tigers that is too good for him to refuse without us overpaying?

Whilst we can't offer him 1st choice fullback, we can offer him the opportunity to nail our right centre position! Strong & powerful metre-eating line-breaking centre with good defence.

Penrith are reported to not be able to offer more than $350k and obviously have to weigh in his love for that club & potential more premierships in the short term.

NRL rookie of the year, premiership player, Fiji test player & Api's cousin!
Not more than $450k and 3 yrs

The emergence of guys like Makasini & Large & Luke Lualili'i through the juniors means we can actually insert guys in those positions through free agency that are toward the end of their career instead of in their prime years, and get the value of experience blended in.

2 guys that might just fit the bill in the short term are Gagai & Addo-Carr, and both are reasonably realistic targets.

Neither would hamper the development of Large, Makasini, Lualili'i, Lobb etc as eventual wingers or centres, but offer short term upgrades with players that are clearly declining elites.

I'd be reluctant to invest much into centre right now as Olam is a great fit, Makasini will eventually fit that role & Fataape looks a good prospect. Not even mentioning the likes of Feledy & Saukuru or even Large if centre is his eventual position. I'm not 100% convinced Galvin doesn't end up out there as it is.

The emergence of guys like Makasini & Large & Luke Lualili'i through the juniors means we can actually insert guys in those positions through free agency that are toward the end of their career instead of in their prime years, and get the value of experience blended in.

2 guys that might just fit the bill in the short term are Gagai & Addo-Carr, and both are reasonably realistic targets.

Neither would hamper the development of Large, Makasini, Lualili'i, Lobb etc as eventual wingers or centres, but offer short term upgrades with players that are clearly declining elites.

I'd be reluctant to invest much into centre right now as Olam is a great fit, Makasini will eventually fit that role & Fataape looks a good prospect. Not even mentioning the likes of Feledy & Saukuru or even Large if centre is his eventual position. I'm not 100% convinced Galvin doesn't end up out there as it is.
I had the same thought re Dane Gagai and I reckon Benji & Richo both have a history with him from Souths???

Just not sure whether Gagai would uproot from Newcastle to Sydney for 1 year which is all he'd probably be offered at his age. Turns 34 in January next year.

What about Tim Lafai similar age as Gagai keen to return to NRL to finish career, starred at '22 RLWC with Samoa?

I suspect the TDS situation will more or less take care of itself. What he mainly needs at the moment is minutes, which he'll get in reggies. He'll get some game time - split with Simpkin, I guess - during origin unless Maguire is as brain dead as Fittler was. Then when he's ready to play regular minutes in first grade Koroisau will be at least a year older and may not be (best used as) an 80 minute player anymore.
N
Happy to go with Sione Fainu. Looks like a versatile middle & hopefully with his brothers around him he will stay. Keep Latu happy as well if behind Galvin & Luai for the starting halves spot. As many say Galvin may development into an Isaiah Yeo type of 13.

Backs of note - Isaiah Tass, Zac Lomax, Corey Oates, Dane Gagai, Remis Smith, James Schiller , Tesi Niu... Doubt we land Turuva after his comments the other day.

Backrow - Jazz Tevaga, Jack Williams, Jaydn Sua... Elliot Whitehead? Could Bateman sway him or would people be happy with Luke Garner back. I would after his Penrith experience.
Talking of the fainu brothers, what happens when the other one gets out . I'm sure he will want to link up with his bros

Latest posts

Staff online

Back