Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Just because it will all but guarrant

that is the most misleading stat I’ve ever seen . He consistently struggles to land the ball in the box with height , from basically anywhere , and people will look at that stat and say our eyes are deceiving us . I will say this though . If he can get more elevation , which leads to the defensive line getting down field to apply pressure , and slightly more distance , than he should be leading the way . As it is though , if a fullback is catching the ball in the box , and the defensive line is still only on the 20/30m then that’s not good enough.
TLDR; it’s not just distance it’s hang time and distance . Instead of looking where the ball is caught , look at where the defensive line is when the back 3 are catching it . Ideally , they’re right there waiting for the attacker to come down with the ball . Like I said too often we are still in our 20 or 30m line giving the opp a huge field position advantage every single set .
Not a misleading stat. what it tells you is that our forwards cannot get us out of our own half and get the 7 to a spot on the field where his kicks can be effective.
 
Apparently we're on the verge of signing Kurt Mann, so I had a look at his numbers because I'm struggling a bit to see what he actually adds to this pack.

I know per-80 stats aren't perfect. Mann is playing about 10 minutes less a game than Seyfarth, so naturally he can go harder in shorter stints. But even allowing for that, I thought the comparison was interesting.

Roughly per 80 mins this year:

Mann
126m
48 tackles
60 fantasy points

Seyfarth
120m
50 tackles
61 fantasy points

That's pretty bloody similar.

Seyfarth has more offloads, Mann gets through slightly more metres, but in terms of basic work rate there really isn't much between them.

And maybe I've got a bit of scar tissue from this sort of signing too.

We've been down the "experienced former Origin player" road a few times. Ballin was 31 and about five years removed from Origin, McQueen was 30 and roughly three years removed, Reynolds was 28 and hadn't played Origin for about three and a half years.

To be fair to Mann, he's different in one important way. He's 33, but he was playing Origin last year. So I'm not saying these are identical situations.

But we've heard the experience, leadership and standards argument before. At 33, I'd still want to know what he's actually adding on the field that we don't already have.

I'm not a Seyfarth fan, so maybe that colours my view, but do we really get better by adding another player who statistically gives us pretty much the same output?

I get the utility argument with Mann. If we didn't have a bench hooker I could see the value in someone who can cover 9 and 13.

But we've signed Brailey. You'd assume he's 14 most weeks behind Api.

So Mann is basically competing for one of the remaining forward spots on the bench.

If that's the case, I'd rather that spot go to someone who gives us something we don't already have. More size, leg speed, impact, whatever.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does another Seyfarth clon actually make this side better?
 
Don’t twist things . This has nothing to do with that . It has to do with the same people continuously posting the same negative shit, over and over and ultimately feeding into everyone’s worse impulses . I never said we will do this and that . All I said was there’s reasons to be optimistic , and stated those reasons.
I think the bookies have completely over valued luai , and completely undervalued May and KPP , and Latu . I think frizell , brailey and Mann add some adults in the room , and real depth around key positions . Especially 9. Our season fell apart when we had to field Hope and Lanyon .
hopefully we never have to see AD in the halves again and that experiment is done forever . We do need another half . And the rumours are brooksy on a couple of years . I’m ok with that . He can tackle and has a good long kicking game allowing the defensive line to get down field .
But like I said stop posting negative shit over and over . It brings everyone down . You and gunner are doing my head in , along with a few others . I get it , you love being an Eeyore but if you think this team is the same as teams like the 2023/24 teams or worse I think that’s absolutely silly .
The moment we get Latu and Andruws bodies right and ruggedised for nrl , that’s the moment we will be a force in this comp. They will both be wearing blue and maroon by 2030 IMO. We just have to get them on the field . Latus time is now . I believe in him. Javon needs 2 pre seasons probably .
Cheer up is all I’m saying . Fark the bookies what do they know ? It’s pretty easy to look at last years ladder and then predict your 8 to be exactly the same . Which is what every “expert” does every year . And they’re always wrong .
Laughing at oneself and having an Eeyore / self pity complex are two completely different kettles of fish

As for being driven crazy by GNR4LIFE and my posts you can always block us

I call a heap of shit a heap of shit and I'm not going to change

A very old saying is " trust is earned " and and the WTs have not earned anyones trust for the last 15 years
 
Apparently we're on the verge of signing Kurt Mann, so I had a look at his numbers because I'm struggling a bit to see what he actually adds to this pack.

I know per-80 stats aren't perfect. Mann is playing about 10 minutes less a game than Seyfarth, so naturally he can go harder in shorter stints. But even allowing for that, I thought the comparison was interesting.

Roughly per 80 mins this year:

Mann
126m
48 tackles
60 fantasy points

Seyfarth
120m
50 tackles
61 fantasy points

That's pretty bloody similar.

Seyfarth has more offloads, Mann gets through slightly more metres, but in terms of basic work rate there really isn't much between them.

And maybe I've got a bit of scar tissue from this sort of signing too.

We've been down the "experienced former Origin player" road a few times. Ballin was 31 and about five years removed from Origin, McQueen was 30 and roughly three years removed, Reynolds was 28 and hadn't played Origin for about three and a half years.

To be fair to Mann, he's different in one important way. He's 33, but he was playing Origin last year. So I'm not saying these are identical situations.

But we've heard the experience, leadership and standards argument before. At 33, I'd still want to know what he's actually adding on the field that we don't already have.

I'm not a Seyfarth fan, so maybe that colours my view, but do we really get better by adding another player who statistically gives us pretty much the same output?

I get the utility argument with Mann. If we didn't have a bench hooker I could see the value in someone who can cover 9 and 13.

But we've signed Brailey. You'd assume he's 14 most weeks behind Api.

So Mann is basically competing for one of the remaining forward spots on the bench.

If that's the case, I'd rather that spot go to someone who gives us something we don't already have. More size, leg speed, impact, whatever.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does another Seyfarth clon actually make this side better?
Kurt Mann has played State of Origin
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has played semi final football
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has been in multiple systems with differing levels of success
Alex Seyfarth has been in one system with no success to call upon

Kurt Mann has played fullback, centre, 5/8, halfback, hooker and lock during his career
Alex Seyfarth has failed to lock down a position until this year
 
Kurt Mann has played State of Origin
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has played semi final football
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has been in multiple systems with differing levels of success
Alex Seyfarth has been in one system with no success to call upon

Kurt Mann has played fullback, centre, 5/8, halfback, hooker and lock during his career
Alex Seyfarth has failed to lock down a position until this year
Kurt Mann will also be 34
 
I attended. It was nearly 3k & we had a bigger crowd at our Final than the Broncos girls got at theirs. Putting that game at Campbelltown cost them people going. I have no doubt about it.
Yeah I couldn't remember if it was 2500 or 2800 to be honest

But again .....how many WTs fans live within 90 minutes of Campbelltown

It's a bit hard to complain about the clubs performances and then in the same breath when we do achieve something not show up .....whether it's Leichhardt or Campbelltown ....it shouldn't matter

A lot of fans want excuses not to go to Campbelltown

Support your club .....don't use the Balmain v Wests excuse not to

And this isn't aimed at you Claws , thank you for supporting our ladies .....pity few thousand others didn't have the class to do that
A bias WTs fan base may have got us a few of the 50/50 ( as they do at Leichhardt ) and got us the win
 
Kurt Mann has played State of Origin
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has played semi final football
Alex Seyfarth has not

Kurt Mann has been in multiple systems with differing levels of success
Alex Seyfarth has been in one system with no success to call upon

Kurt Mann has played fullback, centre, 5/8, halfback, hooker and lock during his career
Alex Seyfarth has failed to lock down a position until this year
Kurt Mann was the last man up option for Qld .....Plath was out ,Cotter was out , Tino out ,Flegler out, Gilbert was out .....
@Demps was the next option up for Qld that night
 
Mann's value and contract comes down to what he is being paid. If he is signed on 300-400k on a one year deal with no guaranteed spot, then I am for it.

I would be starting him at Lock, moving Twal to starting prop with May/Pole and having May/Pole coming off the bench with Seyfarth and Sione.
 
Apparently we're on the verge of signing Kurt Mann, so I had a look at his numbers because I'm struggling a bit to see what he actually adds to this pack.

I know per-80 stats aren't perfect. Mann is playing about 10 minutes less a game than Seyfarth, so naturally he can go harder in shorter stints. But even allowing for that, I thought the comparison was interesting.

Roughly per 80 mins this year:

Mann
126m
48 tackles
60 fantasy points

Seyfarth
120m
50 tackles
61 fantasy points

That's pretty bloody similar.

Seyfarth has more offloads, Mann gets through slightly more metres, but in terms of basic work rate there really isn't much between them.

And maybe I've got a bit of scar tissue from this sort of signing too.

We've been down the "experienced former Origin player" road a few times. Ballin was 31 and about five years removed from Origin, McQueen was 30 and roughly three years removed, Reynolds was 28 and hadn't played Origin for about three and a half years.

To be fair to Mann, he's different in one important way. He's 33, but he was playing Origin last year. So I'm not saying these are identical situations.

But we've heard the experience, leadership and standards argument before. At 33, I'd still want to know what he's actually adding on the field that we don't already have.

I'm not a Seyfarth fan, so maybe that colours my view, but do we really get better by adding another player who statistically gives us pretty much the same output?

I get the utility argument with Mann. If we didn't have a bench hooker I could see the value in someone who can cover 9 and 13.

But we've signed Brailey. You'd assume he's 14 most weeks behind Api.

So Mann is basically competing for one of the remaining forward spots on the bench.

If that's the case, I'd rather that spot go to someone who gives us something we don't already have. More size, leg speed, impact, whatever.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does another Seyfarth clon actually make this side better?
I just look at it as a depth signing not as that deep, if we get the same injuries as this year he’ll be handy

Assuming it’s low cost & short term, it’s low risk
 
Bears roster is actually pretty ok
Have a look a little closer

A champion team will always beat a team of champions

Said this before - Curran, Henry, Horsburgh, Meaney, Russell, Sexton, Shibasaki, Smithies, Smoothy, Sorenen, Wishart, Talakai

It is really not that bad of a team, if they can get it together I think they will be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I don't think top 8 is realistic, but I don't think they will be coming last.
 
If Bradman best comes to Sydney I’d love the club to do whatever it takes to sign him up, genuinely one of my favourite players and I’d take him over any of our outside backs
Doesn't seem like all that long ago (believe it or not it's actually been 4 years) he missed the team bus to the airport, was dropped and was accused of having a poor attitude.

Some players can turn things around with a bit of an attitude change and it was less than a year later that he was selected and had a dream debut in Origin.
 
A champion team will always beat a team of champions

Said this before - Curran, Henry, Horsburgh, Meaney, Russell, Sexton, Shibasaki, Smithies, Smoothy, Sorenen, Wishart, Talakai

It is really not that bad of a team, if they can get it together I think they will be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I don't think top 8 is realistic, but I don't think they will be coming last.
I'd say that forward pack will be on the end of some lop sided penalty counts

Curran and Horsbrugh are penalty magnets
 
If Mann is good signing depends on
A) what is his purpose in the top 30 - Is he replace a starter or is he replacing number 26-30. If he is replacing Charlie Murray then he is a great signing for example
B) What he is getting paid
Exactly. Looking at who these signings are replacing, they are all no-brainers:

Brailey --> Hope (upgrade)
Averillo --> Toa (upgrade)
Mann --> Murray? Mason? (upgrade)
Frizell --> Kit Laulilii (massive upgrade)
 

Latest posts

Members online

Back
Top