Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Bryson Goodwin would be a professional pick up. Cost effective, never has a bad game and kicks goals. At home on the wing and centres. Underrated player, but the goal kicking is the big bonus.

Reynold$ and Wat$on get thumbs up from me.

Both tenacious ball runners, that I can see complimenting the ball-playing creativity of Brooks and Liddle.

This could be a spine that gives me hope for a brighter 2018.

Wat$on has plenty of years ahead of him and would be sitting behind Tedesco, Keary and Pearce next season, the fullback position has opened up at the Tigers whose coach was a former fullback, he'd have to seriously consider what would probably be an upgraded offer to his current contract, with a greater opportunity to play NRL. He also offers utility value, a player who can shift positions through the season or year-to-year depending on the needs of the team.

Grub has experience and plenty of spirit who rips in, playing his best football when he's free to pick his moments - halves partners like Frawley and Hopkinson provide the evidence of that. Brooks will own and run the team, so I'm in agreement with others on the forum that these two could compliment each other. Signing Grub for two years (he'll probably want 3) will allow the club to keep an eye on the market for other 5/8 or fullback options over the following seasons as options for 2018 are thinning rapidly at the moment.

These two won't break the bank, leaving plenty of coin to spend on pigs and ponies, and hopefully there's going to be value for money as the salary cap bites into the over spent clubs.

@ said:
Bryson Goodwin would be a professional pick up. Cost effective, never has a bad game and kicks goals. At home on the wing and centres. Underrated player, but the goal kicking is the big bonus.

He wouldn't be the worst but he'll be 32 next year and there are others I'd be looking at before him, especially given we're going to have some money to spend. They may have someone else in mind for goal kicking too.

Why are we all so worried about replacing crap players with crap players? Surely noone can be as bad as brooks and moses together.
Tedesco was good but always looked scared of getting hurt to me…

Latimore, Beale, Lino, Gray, Packer, Matalino all realistic signings we could make

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
St George Illawarra Dragons set to retain Gareth Widdop as Wests Tigers turn to Josh Reynolds

Michael Chammas - SMH

Gareth Widdop looks set to remain at St George Illawarra after the Dragons significantly bumped up their original offer and extended the duration of their skipper's deal by another year.

It comes as the Wests Tigers ruled out off-contract Dragons fullback Josh Dugan as a replacement for the departing James Tede$co, leaving Dugan's future in limbo given the internal squabble at St George Illawarra over his best position.

Widdop had informed Dragons officials his asking price was far greater than the original offer that was on the table, and also requested his contract be increased from a three-year deal to a four-year deal.

Given the irresistible form of the 28-year-old this season and the threat of the circling Wests Tigers and Melbourne Storm, the Dragons came to the party and satisfied Widdop's requests this week to table a lucrative contract until the end of 2021.

The Tigers had identified Widdop as their No.1 target to replace the Parramatta-bound Mitchell Mo$es next year, however the club is now resigned to missing out on his signature given the Dragons' increased offer.

**While Jarryd Hayne is also open to negotiations from rival clubs, Fairfax Media understands the Tigers are reluctant to move on both he and Dugan amid fears of cultural ramifications at the club.**

The Tigers have all but given up hope of their ambitious desire to lure Shaun Johnson from across the ditch, now turning their attention to Canterbury No.6 Josh Reynolds as a potential halves partner for the lone survivor of the "big four", Luke Brooks.

Sydney Roosters utility Connor Watson has also been identified by the Tigers, who now have close to $4 million to spend on players for next season given the forthcoming departures of Mo$es, Tede$co and Aaron Wood$.

Warriors prop Ben Matulino, who returns from injury this weekend, is expected to be one of them. Dragons prop Russell Packer also looks like reuniting with Cleary and Matulino given St George Illawarra's extra investment into Widdop.

Johnson also played with Matulino and Packer under Cleary at the Warriors, however he admits he is close to re-signing with New Zealand.

"I have obviously been in talks with the club for a while now and we're getting close," Johnson said.

"It is hopefully going to be sorted soon. I think walking away – a lot of people have said it is probably what I should do to take my game to a new level at a different club – but it doesn't make sense to myself. I wouldn't be satisfied with that I don't think. Hopefully we can agree on some good terms to stay here and I can achieve what not only myself, but this club and organisation wants to achieve.

"It is a challenge, but as footy players that's what you live for. You don't want to walk into a system where it is all set up for you and you can just be another name on the wall at a club that has already won a comp and achieved all there is to achieve in this game. It's always a challenge.

"We have our challenges here like every other team does. The thrill of knowing what this team can do to rugby league in New Zealand – I really want to be a part of. That's what I have said all along. I have said that to Jim [Doyle], I have said that to Mooks, I have said that to the coaching staff here. I am sure we will have it settled soon."

These next few years are going to be a rough old ride.

What does 'fears of cultural ramifications' mean?

It means they are managed by Issac Moses or of character that would likely be manged by Isaac Moses.

Below is the list of off contract fullbacks (or players who could play fullback) for next season. Some pretty good names on here, though I imagine the big names like Slater & Boyd (isn't that a Law Firm? lol) will be staying put. Wests Tigers have apparently already ruled out Hayne & Dugan as well. So who out of the rest would we be likely to target to replace Tedesco? - if indeed we are going to buy anyone outside of the club at all.

ALEX JOHNSON
JARRYD HAYNE
JOSH DUGAN
DARIUS BOYD
WILL HOPOATE
GERARD BEALE
WILLIAM ZILLMAN
BILLY SLATER
DANE GAGAI
MICHAEL GORDON
BLAKE FERGUSON

@ said:
Yes i think we are going to be linked to every off contract player on the market,Ferguson,Dugan throw in Carney and you would have the rat pack back together…but no thank you,Ivan should have a no Dickh#ad policy in place for any recruitments.

Agreed. We just got rid of 3 divas. Lets not get desperate and sign people with bad attitudes and issues.

I'd have to say Alex Johnson.. the rest will be re signed or are over the hill

@ said:

Always liked Goodwin you know exactly what you will get every game - will be alot cheaper as well than other options.

No one like Tyrone Roberts he can cover a few positions a handy player.

@ said:
No one like Tyrone Roberts he can cover a few positions a handy player.

Would be a great signing. Covers a lot of positions. Would actually play him at 5/8 if ee didnt sign anyone else

Roosters and Eels could provide the best options.
Gutherson or French and release Moses this year.
Same possibility with Connor Watson all are very good players and can cover fullback.

Connor Watson - Yes
Alex Johnston - Yes
Jarryd Hayne - hard to say. On one hand he's a bigger x-factor than anyone we've had bar Benji in his prime but does he still want to achieve anything more in NRL?
Michael Gordon - yes for maybe year and see who's available

Nothing to worry about.
According to KIIS FM Cronk and Graham will both be Tigers in 2018.
\
\
http://www.kiis1065.com.au/newsroom/this-is-how-wests-tigers-will-bounce-back-from-losing-star-players/

I think Mick Gordon should be one of the first people Ivan calls. He's a good man and a professional and while he's obviously in the twilight of his career he's shown this season he can still perform. He's sitting in the top 10 for tackle breaks (equal with RTS and James Roberts), has scored 5 tries in 7 games and is averaging 132m per game. Ignoring the stats he's also actually just playing well from having watched most of the Roosters games. Safe as houses and kicks goals. Use his experience to bring through a future fullback prospect.

@ said:
Nothing to worry about.
According to KIIS FM Cronk and Graham will both be Tigers in 2018.
\
\
http://www.kiis1065.com.au/newsroom/this-is-how-wests-tigers-will-bounce-back-from-losing-star-players/

What a crock of s…peculation!

Back