Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103402) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103401) said:
Yeah he is an upgrade but could we do better with the money we have spare ...

Really? Who?

We are an NRL club and have cash/opportunities available. I do not think it is necessary to expand on this fact. However, if you need to ask that question, the situation at WTs must be dire indeed. Is this so?

Also, JL is being let go by the Raiders. With Scott aboard, the Raiders are a much stronger outfit. Why didn't we go after Scott? I know he has issues but with maturity comes improved off field behaviour.

@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103403) said:
@bbobb said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103344) said:
What do you mean when you say St. Pats has a high opinion of itself?

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Just to add to your story. In the 1960s my older brother went to St Pats but my parents sent to DLS Ashfield because my brother got expelled and they thought his reputation might make things awkward for me. We played league against Pats in the MCC competition. They were a pretty good league school on par with the other MCC heavies Lewisham, Kogarah and Randwick. Pats lefts the MCC and switched to rugby because they decided they wanted to join the GPS schools competition. They didn't make it because the GPS schools froze them out. Since then they've moved between competitions such as ISA but have never really found a home.

Really? Who?

Well we hadn't wasted 3 weeks waiting like lap dogs for the scraps off Latrells plate we could have done a lot of things

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103407) said:

Really? Who?

We are an NRL club and have ***cash/opportunities available***. I do not think it is necessary to expand on this fact. However, if you need to ask that question, the situation at WTs must be dire indeed. Is this so?

I dont think things are dire at the Tigers but I think we need to take opportunities available. My question was in response to Happy saying we can do better with the money available.. You say we have cash and ***opportunities*** available.

We are 8 weeks out from the start of the season, other teams squads are set, Ill repeat and expand my question, now to you and Happy.

8 weeks out from the start of the season, with other teams squads set for 2020, who is better to spen
d our cash on for 2020 than BJ?

Also, JL is being let go by the Raiders. With Scott aboard, the Raiders are a much stronger outfit. Why didn't we go after Scott? I know he has issues but with maturity comes improved off field behaviour.

Yet to be seen if Raiders are stronger with SCott than BJ. They havent played a game yet.
Who is to say if WT did or didnt go after Scott? We may have but his $$$ may have been too high. If it ends up a bidding war and we get BJ for a few $100K cheaper than Scott who does have issues...that would be a massive win for Tigers.

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103414) said:

Really? Who?

Well we hadn't wasted 3 weeks waiting like lap dogs for the scraps off Latrells plate we could have done a lot of things

Again.....like what? Who did we miss out on that we wanted?

IF...(massive if) we ended up with Doueihi and BJ that would be a nice result out of the LM circus.

@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103416) said:

Really? Who?

IF...(massive if) we ended up with Doueihi and BJ that would be a nice result out of the LM circus.

Cover two spots we are direly short on with with serviceable talent. The only hole after that is hooker which I don't see us racing out to cover.

Really? Who?

Well as we have learnt in the last few years everyone is on the market

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

My problem with Joey is he needs to be in the right head space to play well
...he is not the sort of player you know will show up every week and perform well

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103237) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103234) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103232) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103215) said:
@TillLindemann said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103203) said:
This is the last time I get my hopes up from a rumoured signing. If Doueihi isn't signed tomorrow I'll lose it.

For Doueihi?

Ill be more annoyed if signing Doueihi prevents signing BJ

Signing BJ does not address the issue of a chronic lack of pace.

Agreed but the reason we want pace is to enable line breaks/score tries. BJ clearly addresses the issue of breaking the line/scoring tries.

Particularly if our pack improves as we hope. Sometimes to me when we are in the oppositions 20 is when we look least likely to score. IMO BJ will certainly help there.

We can break the line ok, but it is worthless because Nofoaluma and Jennings do not have the pace to finish. If we don't sign pacey players this off season, our recruitment has been a disaster.

Disagree. I think our recruitment so far has been astute. No panic buying and making sure those that have been recruited want to be here. I think they have done an outstanding job so far. We still have money and places that can be filled and the season hasn’t started yet.

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103420) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

...he is not the sort of player you know will show up every week and perform well

the two centres re-signed and upgraded by the Roosters within the last 6 months? You are suggesting that we should have tried to sign either of the two remaining centres that the PREMIERS have after Mitchell left, less than six months after they were ugraded to come to the paradise that is Concord? Sound strategy.

So ok....we didnt miss out on anyone, and BJ is the best (only) opportunity available.

Really? Who?

Go and spend a bit of time in the Raiders forum. Their opinion is pretty much that BJ puts in every game.

@Tiger_Steve said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103408) said:
Anyone got a time for today’s press conference to announce Douehi’s signing? Or is it in 48 hours?

Might need to get the drones out again and fly over Concord Oval and Ashfield Leagues

@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103423) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

the two centres re-signed and upgraded by the Roosters within the last 6 months? You are suggesting that we should have tried to sign either of the two remaining centres that the PREMIERS have after Mitchell left, less than six months after they were ugraded to come to the paradise that is Concord? Sound strategy.

So ok....we didnt miss out on anyone, and BJ is the best (only) opportunity available.

Mate the market has been open since November 2019 ....i could name 20 players Drinkwater
Guthrrson
LM

Yet no one is even close to being here

Joey is Ok ...but Ok should not cut it for any WT fan and this is the point everyone misses

@swag_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103429) said:
Person on the souths furom says he will definitely be a Tiger by the end of the week.

Last week it was definitely today

@coivtny said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103409) said:
@jirskyr said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103403) said:
@bbobb said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103344) said:
What do you mean when you say St. Pats has a high opinion of itself?

I mean that St Pats tries to position itself as one of the fancy schools in the area, but it's just a regular Christian Bros with average sporting and academic achievements. And everyone likes beating them in any endeavour possible.

Shame they don't play League anymore; there's so much energy wasted in schoolboy rugby, that has no long term purpose within the 4th-ranked dying football code. You've got all these kids in ISA / CAS / GPS schools, the latter with their faux exclusivity and horrendous school fees, plying away at rugby to then play Shute Shield or maybe jag some pointless Super Rugby spot, until the powers close a franchise down.

Just to add to your story. In the 1960s my older brother went to St Pats but my parents sent to DLS Ashfield because my brother got expelled and they thought his reputation might make things awkward for me. We played league against Pats in the MCC competition. They were a pretty good league school on par with the other MCC heavies Lewisham, Kogarah and Randwick. Pats lefts the MCC and switched to rugby because they decided they wanted to join the GPS schools competition. They didn't make it because the GPS schools froze them out. Since then they've moved between competitions such as ISA but have never really found a home.

In my Opinion it is irrelevant what comp or football your school plays, I went to a GPS school in Ipswich and played Rugby Union on a scholarship. 3/4 of the team played league for clubs only 4 of us where true rugby players. I had a few mates play NRL from my high school 1st 15, Darren Burns, Chris Beatie just to name 2. Like I said irrelevant what you play at school, as most of the boys these days are signed to League contracts early on. Darren was signed to manly to play u21's repeated school then got no offer. Followed tommy down to wests and went on to have a great NRL career. Some are targeted young and fail while others blossom later on in life.

@happy_tiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103430) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Mate the market has been open since November 2019 ....i could name 20 players Drinkwater
Guthrrson
LM

You still havent named a player who is/was off contract other than LM and we had a red hot go at him. Name a play who left their club for 2020 that we missed out on that we wanted.

now...reportedly Joey is available and the Tigers should go for him hard, there are no other opportunities available.

Joey is Ok ...but Ok should not cut it for any WT fan and this is the point everyone misses

Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.

@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103433) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

You still havent named a player who is/was off contract other than LM and we had a red hot go at him. Name a play who left their club for 2020 that we missed out on that we wanted.

now...reportedly Joey is available and the Tigers should go for him hard, there are no other opportunities available.

Joey would be the best centre this club has had in it's short history. Hard to find a negative in that.

I think you are forgetting Lawrence who was by far out best centre until his terrible injury.I do agree BJ is an improvement on what we have now

@jadtiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103434) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103433) said:

Really? Who?

Joseph Manu Billy Smith
..any centre really

Guthrrson
LM

I think you are forgetting Lawrence who was by far out best centre until his terrible injury.I do agree BJ is an improvement on what we have now

Yeah Ill probably give you that.

@mike said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103422) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103237) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103234) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103232) said:
@Tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103215) said:
@TillLindemann said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1103203) said:
This is the last time I get my hopes up from a rumoured signing. If Doueihi isn't signed tomorrow I'll lose it.

For Doueihi?

Ill be more annoyed if signing Doueihi prevents signing BJ

Signing BJ does not address the issue of a chronic lack of pace.

Agreed but the reason we want pace is to enable line breaks/score tries. BJ clearly addresses the issue of breaking the line/scoring tries.

Particularly if our pack improves as we hope. Sometimes to me when we are in the oppositions 20 is when we look least likely to score. IMO BJ will certainly help there.

We can break the line ok, but it is worthless because Nofoaluma and Jennings do not have the pace to finish. If we don't sign pacey players this off season, our recruitment has been a disaster.

Disagree. I think our recruitment so far has been astute. No panic buying and making sure those that have been recruited want to be here. I think they have done an outstanding job so far. We still have money and places that can be filled and the season hasn’t started yet.

Our issue is lack of pace in the backline. Our purchases have done nothing to address this issue. Have two big and fast wingers emerged in the lower grades to replace Nofoaluma and Jennings? If so, great. If not, our season is going to be long. Top teams have fast backlines.

Back