Squad Depth for Season 2023

Maybe if Noddy had given blokes like Tumeth and Kautoga some minutes in games near the end that didn't matter they would be more ready for this season.But all they could think of was not getting the spoon.Whats the difference in coming last or second last.Brisbane ran last 2 years ago and nobody talks about it
That comes back on Sheens.
He could have easily told Noddy I want players X,Y and Z to get some experience.
It’s not like the top liners played any good towards the end, when all our floggings occurred.

I liked Garner, he was a classy player in a bad side, i rate him higher then Bateman. Time will tell.
There are so many unknowns this year , we just have to see who performs and who goes.
I think the centre spots are wide open. Big chance for someone to stand tall. Our bench spots will be interesting as well.

We have even signed Brandon Wakeham.

Our only depth concern is fullback and to be honest, that's a recruitment opportunity.

I don’t think depth at FB is that bad. Staines, Laurie and Bula who is training the house down. The question is more about quality. None are anywhere near top tier.
Yes true.

I like Laurie and I think Staines has that "X-factor" but isn't a mature Gun like Crichton, Tedesco, Turbo, etc.

Billy Slater was praised for his efforts in defence and that is what's worrying me. A young fullback doesn't have as good a game knowledge of where to be to stop that try.

Anyone remember Moses Mbye? Watching him in defence was funny. He knew exactly where to be and he would get runover as the other team scored. I saw him become a literal human speedhump.

I liked Garner, he was a classy player in a bad side, i rate him higher then Bateman. Time will tell.
There are so many unknowns this year , we just have to see who performs and who goes.
I liked Garner too.
No I don't rate him higher then Bateman who was key to Canberra making a grand final.

Hopefully there is a correlation between who doesn't perform and who goes :) Cmon WT, no more sympathy hires.

I don’t think depth at FB is that bad. Staines, Laurie and Bula who is training the house down. The question is more about quality. None are anywhere near top tier.
True but I think were getting near Top tier.

No one is a solid pick, except maybe ICE. Yet you have players that would start first grade in most sides. Api, ICE, Bateman, Klemmer. A few others that would almost always start, Naden, Staines, I even think Laurie is in that category.

Unlike 2022 when I looked at our side and thought "none of these players would make the bench of the top 4. (ok Naden came mid season).

I’ve seen a few comments recently surrounding our depth for the coming year.
Some state it’s stronger whilst others maintained it’s still weak.
Here’s the rundown. Please feel free to correct any mistakes and/or make comments.

PROP
Front liners Klemmer, Twal, Utoikamanu, Pole
Backups Fainu, Seyfarth, Simpkins, Saukuru, Ma’anaima

HOOKER
Front liners Koroisau, Simpkin
Backups Ngatikaura

SECOND ROWER
Front liners Papali’i, Bateman, Blore,
Backups Seyfarth, Kautoga, Mansfield, Tumeth,

LOCK
Front liners Ofahengaue
Backups Papali’i, Matamua, Ngatikaura

HALFBACK
Front liners Brooks
Backups Simpkin, Smith*

FIVE EIGHTH
Front liners Doueihi
Backups Laurie, Smith*

CENTRE
Front liners Naden, Talau
Backups Feledy, To’a, Tupou, Kepaoa, Reilly

WING
Front liners Nofoaluma, Maumalo
Backups Staines, Kepaoa, Tupou, To’a

FULLBACK
Front liners Laurie
Backups Staines

* Smith unavailable for first 3rd of the season

For mine, depth will kill us this year.
Our front row stocks look strong with a great starting 4 however there is a drop off that has to be dealt with afterwards.
Our hookers are strong and is our best position depthwise.
Our backrowers and lock are fine with plenty of talent and depth as long as we keep most players healthy.
Our halves depth is a huge concern. Very light on for options after the starters, who have big question marks over them to begin with.
Our centres are also a big concern. Hopefully it gets stronger as the year moves forward with Feledy and Tupou standing up.
Our wingers aren’t bad with plenty of options
Our fullback stocks are pretty low, mainly due to all, including Laurie being makeshift at NRL level. A few options, but nothing too exciting yet.

I still envision this year seeing certain players playing multiple roles, especially in the backs.
Any thoughts on this?
I agree with most of above , except I think we fall down really big time in the back row and lock if we get a few injuries we will be in a world of hurt . The kids are a long way from been ready for 1st grade

last week identified the gap between our first and second sides. while there was a number of players returning from injury and the halfback has been in the building for a fortnight, the club will be in freefall once again if we have an injury toll like we did last year.

I realise that we're trying to clear the runway for these juniors in Matts and Ball and to ensure they get a suitable amount of time in Cup to develop, but the amount of deadwood is staggering. we need experienced players in the back row and in the centres that can do a job in firsts if called upon. while there's potential there, the likes of Staines, Talau, Scolari, Reilly and Tumeth were lightyears away. hopefully Sheens sees this issue and is either hard at work upskilling them or is scouring the market.

I agree with most of above , except I think we fall down really big time in the back row and lock if we get a few injuries we will be in a world of hurt . The kids are a long way from been ready for 1st grade
You have identified the point of the thread.
Our roster is a house of cards currently.
The division between starters and depth is greater than I first anticipated. Roughly half those who played last Thursday will see first grade action this year at various stages. That’s where my interest will reside this year.

You have identified the point of the thread.
Our roster is a house of cards currently.
The division between starters and depth is greater than I first anticipated. Roughly half those who played last Thursday will see first grade action this year at various stages. That’s where my interest will reside this year.
and.... that is FINE.

We have a stack of new and exciting players coming here. We don't need to sign fringe graders. As Klemmer or Ice get injured, let them come in and play a few games. This is exactly what "depth" should look like. Not Wests tigers signing a bunch of 27 year olds who can't make first grade in any other team, bosting about the BIG 17 which blows their cap.

Make the young guys earn their jerseys and learn from our few experienced heads.

and.... that is FINE.

We have a stack of new and exciting players coming here. We don't need to sign fringe graders. As Klemmer or Ice get injured, let them come in and play a few games. This is exactly what "depth" should look like. Not Wests tigers signing a bunch of 27 year olds who can't make first grade in any other team, bosting about the BIG 17 which blows their cap.

Make the young guys earn their jerseys and learn from our few experienced heads.
The fact that they will be on the field and have experience to guide them is far better than previous years where they have probably been the best in their position and expected to lead when those around them are just plodding

That comes back on Sheens.
He could have easily told Noddy I want players X,Y and Z to get some experience.
It’s not like the top liners played any good towards the end, when all our floggings occurred.

Sheens May have had contractual obligations as Head of Football and due to the level of his positional authority would not want to override a coaches decisions. Was better off distancing himself and allowing Noddy the kudos of that win against the Broncos and the 72 point flogging.

and.... that is FINE.

It’s not fine…by the end of the year it will be looking better you’d hope.

It’s not fine…by the end of the year it will be looking better you’d hope.
It's fine.

The options are:
It's fine. Maybe we don't have perfect coverage of a few positions, Fullback, maybe permanent center and lock... That's fine.

Panic and sign a fringe Grader!

Panic, sucks. What I see with teams who are successful with cap management is they spend more of their cap on about 5 players. Those 5 are top shelf, guaranteed to start players. We had Packer + Reynolds making a 1 million Bench.

Depth should either be a Benji Marshall type player that isn't asking for much, has good attitude but only wants to play a few games a year OR Juniors. Spend the money on the 13 players that actually play!

Depth should either be a Benji Marshall type player that isn't asking for much, has good attitude but only wants to play a few games a year OR Juniors. Spend the money on the 13 players that actually play!
What is a ‘Benji Marshal type player’ that doesn’t want money and doesn’t even want to play much?

What is a ‘Benji Marshal type player’ that doesn’t want money and doesn’t even want to play much?

Anthony Milford maybe? He’d have to be playing for peanuts these days. Not recommending signing him, just the only one in the same sort of mold I could think of

I cant believe our coaches couldn’t see that what we need is an organiser and a talker at half. These are 2 of brooks weaknesses. I’d be real keen to see what he is like on training paddock. Either Madden or Hastings were more the organising half and then Brooks could play 5/8 as his running game and defence are actually quite strong. How did our coaches not see this was the answer. I haven’t seen enough of wakeham yet but if he can purely play that organiser role then that’s what we are in desperate need of. Who are the other potential up and coming halves in the ranks?

Last edited:
As far as halves go.. I remember getting into an off season argument with some dude here about letting Brooks go and keeping Hastings …

Was anyone on my side?

Back