Squad Depth for Season 2023

I wouldn't have thought Da Silva would get much of a go until very late 2024
How old is he now? 18? If he's good enough he may as well get playing time next year with Api playing the bulk of the time. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might get 15 minutes a game before we right off 2024. No point waiting until Api buggers off before blooding him.

How old is he now? 18? If he's good enough he may as well get playing time next year with Api playing the bulk of the time. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might get 15 minutes a game before we right off 2024. No point waiting until Api buggers off before blooding him.
True but not sure his body will be ready. Needs to put weight and muscle on.

Just turned 18 this month.

What is Pole's contract situation?
Signed til the end of '25.

I update the roster breakdown in this thread whenever there are changes^.

As first stated in this thread back in January, I don’t like our depth in the positions of Prop, Halves and Centres.
These recent additions by @BlackWhiteGold (great work by the way!), are not filling me with hope for the immediate (‘23 & ‘24) future. Later down the line we have some talent coming through, but unless we hit the market for the next contract rotation, we are doomed to be cellar dwellers for some time yet.

is Feledy any good ? i thinking getting a young centre in might do us good
also do we have any flegg or sg ball half that could be good in the next few years ?

Man we have some hookers ready. Jake, Rui and Da Silva.

I don't know who's going to make the first grade permanent side... Jake Simpkin, for a reserve grade guy he has held his own. Doubt Jake S is a permanent first grader.

Sure but he'd have a full off-season to do so. If not from Rd 1, at least before the midway point.
I think that's what sad about the whole situation.

The kid is 18. Let him grow.

His manager and the people pushing him (and usually it's not the clubs as much as the managers). Will be wanting him on the field now earning $$$.

I would love the NRL to enforce a 40 minute rule with under 20 year old players or something. Ofcourse there are bigger issues.

Reactions: BZN
Our depth for the remainder of the season is very shallow like a baby pool
As it should.

Do you want Api Koroisau or Mitch Rein as hooker?
To get Top shelf you need to spend top shelf. You buy a depth 200-400k option and what do you know, your bidding at 600k while other clubs are offering 1m.

Now if our Depth comes from Juniors and a few snr players willing to hang around. Sure, let it be.

When I hear Depth on our Forum, I think "Oh god were going to blow our cap on fringe Graders" which we have done from year to year.

No more big 17.

As it should.

Do you want Api Koroisau or Mitch Rein as hooker?
To get Top shelf you need to spend top shelf. You buy a depth 200-400k option and what do you know, your bidding at 600k while other clubs are offering 1m.

Now if our Depth comes from Juniors and a few snr players willing to hang around. Sure, let it be.

When I hear Depth on our Forum, I think "Oh god were going to blow our cap on fringe Graders" which we have done from year to year.

No more big 17.
What u need to do is get a side that will get u into the top 4 year in year out , then ur kids stay , just like they do at the sharks , storm , roooters and the slimmmy eels . That’s when u don’t have to pay above to get back ups

I’ve seen a few comments recently surrounding our depth for the coming year.
Some state it’s stronger whilst others maintained it’s still weak.
Here’s the rundown. Please feel free to correct any mistakes and/or make comments.

PROP
Front liners Klemmer, Twal, Utoikamanu, Pole
Backups Fainu, Seyfarth, Simpkins, Saukuru, Ma’anaima

HOOKER
Front liners Koroisau, Simpkin
Backups Ngatikaura

SECOND ROWER
Front liners Papali’i, Bateman, Blore,
Backups Seyfarth, Kautoga, Mansfield, Tumeth,

LOCK
Front liners Ofahengaue
Backups Papali’i, Matamua, Ngatikaura

HALFBACK
Front liners Brooks
Backups Simpkin, Smith*

FIVE EIGHTH
Front liners Doueihi
Backups Laurie, Smith*

CENTRE
Front liners Naden, Talau
Backups Feledy, To’a, Tupou, Kepaoa, Reilly

WING
Front liners Nofoaluma, Maumalo
Backups Staines, Kepaoa, Tupou, To’a

FULLBACK
Front liners Laurie
Backups Staines

* Smith unavailable for first 3rd of the season

For mine, depth will kill us this year.
Our front row stocks look strong with a great starting 4 however there is a drop off that has to be dealt with afterwards.
Our hookers are strong and is our best position depthwise.
Our backrowers and lock are fine with plenty of talent and depth as long as we keep most players healthy.
Our halves depth is a huge concern. Very light on for options after the starters, who have big question marks over them to begin with.
Our centres are also a big concern. Hopefully it gets stronger as the year moves forward with Feledy and Tupou standing up.
Our wingers aren’t bad with plenty of options
Our fullback stocks are pretty low, mainly due to all, including Laurie being makeshift at NRL level. A few options, but nothing too exciting yet.

I still envision this year seeing certain players playing multiple roles, especially in the backs.
Any thoughts on this?

what’s the latest on our depth for 2024 Tucker?

It really is serious though Jad.
Brooks is in his 10th year of top grade and is starting to cop some injuries, Doueihi has had a couple of knee ops. If either go down (especially Brooks) for sustained periods, we are bang out of luck.
We’ll see a Rolls Royce pack lay platforms for some Honda Insights.
Too bad you can't see the race results the same way

As first stated in this thread back in January, I don’t like our depth in the positions of Prop, Halves and Centres.
These recent additions by @BlackWhiteGold (great work by the way!), are not filling me with hope for the immediate (‘23 & ‘24) future. Later down the line we have some talent coming through, but unless we hit the market for the next contract rotation, we are doomed to be cellar dwellers for some time yet.
Can we clarify this:
Prop - yes we need an option. (insert forum rant that Joe O was still useful here).
Centres - No dedicated centre.

Halves - 4 halves starting the year with Wakeham, Smith, Brooks and AJ. Seriously what do we want? We had 2 halves taken out and we brought two Fringe Graders in Wakeham and Smith.

A third Fringe Grader? NO WAY.

The more Fringe Graders we sign the tighter our cap is. The tighter our cap is the more we sign your Josh Reynolds instead of your Mitchell Pearce's.

Back