Squad overhaul

@JoshColeman99 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159101) said:
It’s got nothing to do with the squad. We’ve had the same issues no matter what players and coaches we’ve had at the club over the last ten years. How you fix it I’ve got no idea.

Madge is building for the future which is all he can do considering he had not much salary cap to work with and big name players turn us down.

We need to sign players on shorter contacts when possible ...
I can’t wait another 10 years for them to make the 8

@hobbo1 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159128) said:
It’s got nothing to do with the squad. We’ve had the same issues no matter what players and coaches we’ve had at the club over the last ten years. How you fix it I’ve got no idea.

Madge is building for the future which is all he can do considering he had not much salary cap to work with and big name players turn us down.

Agreed and Madge has done that, lots of two year deals.

Having guys like Mbye, Reynolds and Packer on massive money for a long time has killed us and hopefully Pascoe has learned from his mistakes signing off on those.

@tigerap said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159122) said:
When Tedesco turned us down to sign with the Roosters, a huge statement was made about our club - don’t come here if you want to play finals footy!...every top line player feels the same

100%
Also agree 100% that our club is seen as a retirement village and a cruise lounge.
You’ve got to remember these players still get there 500+ salary’s regardless of results.
No finals means more time off. We do not have one player in our squad with the desire to be a footballing great. The last one we had was a cocky lil one and we let him and his big mouth go to Parramatta. Need a team of players with a desire to fight to a win.
Garner seems to have it. Walters and Grant have it. Twal may have it.
The rest just enjoy playing football and can have a laugh about it afterwards.

@JoshColeman99 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159130) said:

Having guys like Mbye, Reynolds and Packer on massive money for a long time has killed us and hopefully Pascoe has learned from his mistakes signing off on those.

I wouldn’t be too upset if Pascoe was punted either

@Rugba said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1158700) said:
Madge made some good points in the presser and shouldn’t be discounted .
The mentality of the players and club is what needs to change . The roster needs a entire overhaul .

Now this will be controversial but Cleary had the right idea when he bought the overpaid players. I look at parra and see same similarities with where they were 10 years ago , non performing , coach after coach with same old core group of players . Look at what brad Arthur did and how he built the side . He bought watmough and Scott to bring in steel to their pack and Foran to bring in class to their spine . He also got rid of non-performers but the biggest achievement he did was get rid of the players with loser mentality (would any of their previous coaches punted mannah to reserve grade in his final year ? ) , once your in a system with loser mentality you can’t change that mentality . No coincidence they got spoon 2 years ago when they brought back Hayne (his biggest mistake )

Madge needs a roster overhaul and pronto , bring in a few old hard heads to teach the youngsters in the pack (this is what the broncos are missing ) and get rid of the old guard , Benji, Brooks , Lawrence , Nofoaluma and the like and then year on year on continue to build the squad . Buying young guys with potential is all good but putting them in this current system will not achieve any different results and will perpetuate the underperformance.

It was unfortunate Cleary bought the wrong players in hindsight but he had the right idea. The loss of teddy , Moses and woods was not bad as they were apart of the core that was underperforming . Look at how Cleary is improving the panthers side he bought api and the rosters prop and they are undefeated so far this season and he was able to do that by getting rid of some long term players on long term contracts .

I would persevere with madge but he needs a roster overhaul , it’s not his coaching or how he manages the bench , it’s the entire roster that is the issue

Your new roster is.......

No good of just asking questions. WHAT ARE THE ANSWERS!!!!!!

@hobbo1 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159137) said:

Hes only been here 5 years, things are turning aro
hahahaha hahahaha almost got it out.

I think he’s done well for the most part. Definitely some mistakes but the club is in a pretty good spot financially

@851 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159069) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159044) said:
Considering these guys wanted to pay a mil for Mitchell is concerning

Over a million in the end, something between 1.1 and 1.2M

And Lomax dodged a few bullets.

@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159147) said:

The Brookes podcast Incident shows he’s not too bright, how many stuff ups does he get.

The first thing that needs to happen Brooks is shown the door .. this team will go nowhere with him at 1/2.

@Geo said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159084) said:
@851 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159029) said:
@Nasser said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159020) said:
nasser here,

the squad overhaul has already begun. unfortunately we still have 6-7 guys on 500k plus taylor, nofolomu, brooks, reynolds, mbye, packer, mcqueen who i know maguire would get rid of if he could, but its a slow process and every year we will be in a better position as these guys slowly filter out

Brooks re-signed since Madge got here, so he screwed up then, great, Jennings and now Brooks, great strike rate

He also extended Marshall and Lawrence for further seasons and signed re-signed/extended 13 of the 17 players who took the field last night..

At some point the overhauling needs to produce..

It's a coaches job to get the best out of what he has...as much as it pains me Des has done that with Manly sure he had DCE Taupau and the Trbojevic's but he has guys like Danny Levi and Brad bloody Parker playing great footy and a bench of nobody's..

The trouble is you have to have a squad of 30, so unfortunately, sometimes you have to carry a few bums. At least Madge signed bums on the cheap and not for millions while waiting for the younger guys to develop. Next year or so you'll see Blore, Stefano, Simpkins, Talau, Johns, Madden, Hoffman and maybe Saab and a couple more signing up. Add those to Twal, Mikaele, Aloai, Garner, Luci, Momo I think things are looking very promising.

I think this squad rebuild that OP is talking about is on the money.
Investing in youth is one good attribute, now we also need an experienced forward or two, brought in from outside. Someone who can have an affect like James Graham did for Dragons that first year, or Roy Asotasi did for Souths.

Getting Marty Taupau back would do the trick. Maybe JWH. Josh Jackson (though no way would he leave Dogs for us). And need to pay overs to get that big name forward over. We can do a 4 year deal, if he gets injured, medically retire him.

@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159170) said:

The Brookes podcast Incident shows he’s not too bright, how many stuff ups does he get.

What happened there?

Yes I can see the roster overhaul now ...the mist clear .....excitement rises ....and we swap 6 fringies for another 6 fringies probably from the Titans , Stains and Dogs

@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159202) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159170) said:

What happened there?

The media guy and Pascoe not part of the footy bubble but we’re in the same room for the podcast,

Realistically we are not going to attract top line young talents until we prove we can string some wins together.
We are very lucky to have grant for this season and also to have Simpkin and Blore.
A team like a us needs to show we are building to something greater,similar to how the raiders and eels have/are building their squads
Not too long ago those Clubs were a shambles.
The hard thing to swallow is that we still have all these players on huge money nearing the end of their careers who don’t even care if they play first grade or not? At least that’s how it seems.we need some players who want to play here and want to win.
I have no doubt we have some players that love this club.but we are perpetual losers and we have been giving that vibe off for 10 years now
I really think if we can start winning some hard fought games against top teams we can attract some high caliber players 🌝

When Tedesco turned us down to sign with the Roosters, a huge statement was made about our club - don’t come here if you want to play finals footy!...every top line player feels the same

....and we iced the cake on sunday arvo, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory to give our opponent their first win in a year. I wonder if players from other teams noticed that? I wonder if Harry Grant has already bought his bus ticket back to Melbourne?

@NT_Tiger said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159268) said:

....and we iced the cake on sunday arvo, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory to give our opponent their first win in a year. I wonder if players from other teams noticed that? I wonder if Harry Grant has already bought his bus ticket back to Melbourne?

NO,no,NT Grant bought a plane ticket,the quicker he can get out the better..hahaha.

I don't know why everyone is bagging Maguire, He's the best coach we have had in a while, and if you look at the roster our team is very average, He's trying to re build the squad and its hard when players like packer, reynolds and mbye are on 700k. considering we just missed out on finals is pretty good for a team full of average players.

Back