Squad overhaul

Rugba

Madge made some good points in the presser and shouldn’t be discounted .
The mentality of the players and club is what needs to change . The roster needs a entire overhaul .

Now this will be controversial but Cleary had the right idea when he bought the overpaid players. I look at parra and see same similarities with where they were 10 years ago , non performing , coach after coach with same old core group of players . Look at what brad Arthur did and how he built the side . He bought watmough and Scott to bring in steel to their pack and Foran to bring in class to their spine . He also got rid of non-performers but the biggest achievement he did was get rid of the players with loser mentality (would any of their previous coaches punted mannah to reserve grade in his final year ? ) , once your in a system with loser mentality you can’t change that mentality . No coincidence they got spoon 2 years ago when they brought back Hayne (his biggest mistake )

Madge needs a roster overhaul and pronto , bring in a few old hard heads to teach the youngsters in the pack (this is what the broncos are missing ) and get rid of the old guard , Benji, Brooks , Lawrence , Nofoaluma and the like and then year on year on continue to build the squad . Buying young guys with potential is all good but putting them in this current system will not achieve any different results and will perpetuate the underperformance.

It was unfortunate Cleary bought the wrong players in hindsight but he had the right idea. The loss of teddy , Moses and woods was not bad as they were apart of the core that was underperforming . Look at how Cleary is improving the panthers side he bought api and the rosters prop and they are undefeated so far this season and he was able to do that by getting rid of some long term players on long term contracts .

I would persevere with madge but he needs a roster overhaul , it’s not his coaching or how he manages the bench , it’s the entire roster that is the issue

If only Madge was lucky enough to get rid of his overpaid rubbish. Watmough got a medical retirement from memory and Foran I think was offloaded fairly easily. WTs unfortunately have too many overpaid has beens chewing out our cap for too many years and no one else wants them. The light is getting bigger at the end of the tunnel tho which is something at least. I like your theory but can't agree with your Cleary statement. He walked into a well rounded Panthers football system with plenty of junior talent at his disposal. Cleary hasn't done anything to write home about for the Panthers and he basically screwed us over for 4-5 years.

@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159004) said:
Madge hasn’t brought in much better

If Jennings is an example of the traits he wants we are in big trouble.

nasser here,

the squad overhaul has already begun. unfortunately we still have 6-7 guys on 500k plus taylor, nofolomu, brooks, reynolds, mbye, packer, mcqueen who i know maguire would get rid of if he could, but its a slow process and every year we will be in a better position as these guys slowly filter out

@Nasser said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159020) said:
nasser here,

the squad overhaul has already begun. unfortunately we still have 6-7 guys on 500k plus taylor, nofolomu, brooks, reynolds, mbye, packer, mcqueen who i know maguire would get rid of if he could, but its a slow process and every year we will be in a better position as these guys slowly filter out

How do you “know”? Is that just wishful thinking on your part or do you actually know Madge?

@Spud_Murphy said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1158999) said:
Our squad has been overhauled that many times already, but still nothing changes.

Its never really been overhauled - more like trimmed around the edges. Some players are way too comfortable in the knowledge that they won't be moved on.

nasser here,

Brooks re-signed since Madge got here, so he screwed up then, great, Jennings and now Brooks, great strike rate

@851 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159029) said:
nasser here,

Brooks re-signed since Madge got here, so he screwed up then, great, Jennings and now Brooks, great strike rate

Fair enough Madge signed those guys, but who would you suggest they signed? Keeping in mind the $2m odd in cap space tied up in reserve graders and cap penalties?

@mike said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159022) said:
nasser here,

How do you “know”? Is that just wishful thinking on your part or do you actually know Madge?

Nasser here,

Well we know he wants To get rid of Reynolds, McQueen, Taylor and packer as he has shopped them round.

I don’t know for a fact, but I’m sure if he was given the chance to get rid of mbye at 900k he would jump at it, especially given he bumped him front he fullback spot for someone on 80% less in thommo.

No go and brooks I’m guessing

@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159044) said:
Considering these guys wanted to pay a mil for Mitchell is concerning

Over a million in the end, something between 1.1 and 1.2M

As someone else mentioned the roster overhaul has begun. Madge has started moving on guys and has signed quite a lot of young talent. Hopefully in the future we can land a marquee signing to help us out even more. A rebuild takes time

@diedpretty said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159023) said:
@Spud_Murphy said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1158999) said:
Our squad has been overhauled that many times already, but still nothing changes.

Its never really been overhauled - more like trimmed around the edges. Some players are way too comfortable in the knowledge that they won't be moved on.

I think after Madge's presser some guys might be looking over their shoulders.

The squad is already being overhauled. Recruitment has focused on the best of the junior grades, with quite a few being signed from the lower grade origin ranks. I would expect that Madge always knew it would take years to turn the squad around. So much dead wood on big money forced him to focus on juniors not getting a fair go at their previous clubs.

I used to think it was Benji and Farah behind our season capitulations. Especially in 2010/11 when we couldn't close a game. They have for the most part gone now and we remain in the same mindset. As such I believe the players don't take the Wests Tigers brand seriously, and likely come here to get away from the mental pressure the more successful clubs have expecting results week to week. They might physically train the same with us, but the expectation is less so they can lower their game mentally.

It is set in now, like gangrene, and we have to remove the limbs to get rid of it and wait for the new flesh to grow through. Players either improve to save their careers, or expect to be dumped in 12-18 months when these juniors come through.

nasser here,

He also extended Marshall and Lawrence for further seasons and signed re-signed/extended 13 of the 17 players who took the field last night..

At some point the overhauling needs to produce..

It's a coaches job to get the best out of what he has...as much as it pains me Des has done that with Manly sure he had DCE Taupau and the Trbojevic's but he has guys like Danny Levi and Brad bloody Parker playing great footy and a bench of nobody's..

@Geo said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159084) said:
nasser here,

He also extended Marshall and Lawrence for further seasons and signed re-signed/extended 13 of the 17 players who took the field last night..

At some point the overhauling needs to produce..

It's a coaches job to get the best out of what he has...as much as it pains me Des has done that with Manly sure he had DCE Taupau and the Trbojevic's but he has guys like Danny Levi and Brad bloody Parker playing great footy and a bench of nobody's..

Wow, that makes it even worse, I could be ready to explode tomorrow at 4, I live in hope I will be surprised though

It’s got nothing to do with the squad. We’ve had the same issues no matter what players and coaches we’ve had at the club over the last ten years. How you fix it I’ve got no idea.

Madge is building for the future which is all he can do considering he had not much salary cap to work with and big name players turn us down.

When Tedesco turned us down to sign with the Roosters, a huge statement was made about our club - don’t come here if you want to play finals footy!...every top line player feels the same

Back