@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159251) said:
@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159202) said:
@tony-soprano said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159170) said:
@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159147) said:
@hobbo1 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159137) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159130) said:
@hobbo1 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159128) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159101) said:
It’s got nothing to do with the squad. We’ve had the same issues no matter what players and coaches we’ve had at the club over the last ten years. How you fix it I’ve got no idea.

Madge is building for the future which is all he can do considering he had not much salary cap to work with and big name players turn us down.

We need to sign players on shorter contacts when possible ...
I can’t wait another 10 years for them to make the 8

Agreed and Madge has done that, lots of two year deals.

Having guys like Mbye, Reynolds and Packer on massive money for a long time has killed us and hopefully Pascoe has learned from his mistakes signing off on those.

I wouldn’t be too upset if Pascoe was punted either

Hes only been here 5 years, things are turning aro
hahahaha hahahaha almost got it out.

The Brookes podcast Incident shows he’s not too bright, how many stuff ups does he get.

What happened there?

The media guy and Pascoe not part of the footy bubble but we’re in the same room for the podcast,

Oh right, not surprised.

@Tigers_Tigers said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159283) said:
I don't know why everyone is bagging Maguire, He's the best coach we have had in a while, and if you look at the roster our team is very average, He's trying to re build the squad and its hard when players like packer, reynolds and mbye are on 700k. considering we just missed out on finals is pretty good for a team full of average players.

That's exactly it right there. Maguire is the guy to take us to the next level, but you can see the disappointed /
frustrated look of man being broken down by a club where mediocrity, laziness and excuses have been acceptable and a part of our history. I hope Madge can break this cycle because he is up against it. Brooks is the classic example of this. He has come up through our system and is a reflection of it.

@diedpretty said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159023) said:
@Spud_Murphy said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1158999) said:
Our squad has been overhauled that many times already, but still nothing changes.

Its never really been overhauled - more like trimmed around the edges. Some players are way too comfortable in the knowledge that they won't be moved on.

Who played poorly though ? Jennings , and the middles. I thought brooks had a bad game as well , but , that’s like his first one in 2 years. He rarely has a bad game. Douehi postionial play was dismal. The last try , he had to make the effort. But that’s an experience thing . Jennings has at least 2 tries that we’re ? his fault. We defended well for a speculating nothing doing kick to his wing , only for him to make an absolute meal of it. And in NRL that’s the game. Also the middles switched off close to the line. That can’t happen. Also there was a try that found benji next to grant in the defensive line . Like seriously ?? There’s a middle, a front rower and a backrower between the 2. That’s just laziness. I couldn’t believe it when it happened . That’s the stuff Maguire would be furious about

@Strongee said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159290) said:
Our squad has been overhauled that many times already, but still nothing changes.

Its never really been overhauled - more like trimmed around the edges. Some players are way too comfortable in the knowledge that they won't be moved on.

Who played poorly though ? Jennings , and the middles. I thought brooks had a bad game as well , but , that’s like his first one in 2 years. He rarely has a bad game. Douehi postionial play was dismal. The last try , he had to make the effort. But that’s an experience thing . Jennings has at least 2 tries that we’re ? his fault. We defended well for a speculating nothing doing kick to his wing , only for him to make an absolute meal of it. And in NRL that’s the game. Also the middles switched off close to the line. That can’t happen. Also there was a try that found benji next to grant in the defensive line . Like seriously ?? There’s a middle, a front rower and a backrower between the 2. That’s just laziness. I couldn’t believe it when it happened . That’s the stuff Maguire would be furious about

That just proves the point even more. I'm not just talking about this game. This club has been the same for at least 7 years. A few amazing games but generally a rollercoaster of mediocrity and terrible. Yet we continue to only ever dabble around the edges. How do teams like Newcastle, Parra, even the Roosters go through periods where they are at the bottom but within a year or two they are back near the top. We never do that. We seem to be comfortable just fighting to make the 8 which we rarely make anyway. Its the whole attitude of the club that needs to change.

I don’t know it was a pretty big overhaul when Cleary arrived - looked very different from the old team. Of course we’ve since found out that most of his newly bought players turned out to be duds for one reason or another.

I think the real problem has been balance, we’ve never had the right balance in our squad, well not for a long time anyway. And yes you’re right, there are still those few who have been with us for a good while, who are comfortable in the knowledge that they’ll never be dropped or moved on.

Calling for a squad overhaul is a bit like going out to buy a new car when one of your tyres is flat.

The team we had on the park could have easily won by a big score.

We dominated the Titans in many key areas with way less possession. Unfortunately though, stats don't count on the scoreboard.

i think Madge is on the money in calling for better standards. A bit more intensity to get the Titans to cough up possession or challenging a bomb here or there can be the difference between winning and losing.

Do you guys think as a club we have changed for the better? Just feels like the same very year...

just challenging supporting this club. Losing to like the worst clubs in the NRL and beating the best...

@trentrunciman said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159303) said:
Do you guys think as a club we have changed for the better? Just feels like the same very year...

just challenging supporting this club. Losing to like the worst clubs in the NRL and beating the best...

I think we have changed.....
Then I think about letting matterson walk with no compensation.that was really weak in my opinion.sorry to bring it up to everyone.

We have definitely don’t better this off season with our recruitment.
And investing into our juinors.

I would like to see players get dropped for underperforming.madge is definitely trying .you can see it in his face.
But all our performances this year have been the same old Tigers.

To answer your question I think we have changed for the better,it’s iust really hard see after our performance on Sunday.

Just wondering if anyone ever notices any of our players ripping into the team after a try has been scored against us? Every time I look at the team standing there waiting for the concersion, they all just seem to stand there like mongs. I want a leader (a James Graham type, I know bad example considering the dragons position but you know what I mean) that has passion and the ability to try and lift this team when it's down and out. I don't see Benji, Brookes or Mbye doing it. So who is gonna stand up and rip in and lead this team? Somebody, please stand up.

@diedpretty said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159294) said:

That just proves the point even more. I'm not just talking about this game. This club has been the same for at least 7 years. A few amazing games but generally a rollercoaster of mediocrity and terrible. Yet we continue to only ever dabble around the edges. How do teams like Newcastle, Parra, even the Roosters go through periods where they are at the bottom but within a year or two they are back near the top. We never do that. We seem to be comfortable just fighting to make the 8 which we rarely make anyway. Its the whole attitude of the club that needs to change.

Yea but everyone is blaming brooks. When you are having a bad day , the best thing you can do is own the effort plays , of which I thought brooks did that . Like I said the issue is to a man getting all 17 players up for the 80 . So many players switch off . This is the real problem. Someone like brooks can’t have a 5/10. Seriously , I say again it was some horrendous calls ,( which really shouldn’t be an excuse as we need to be more resilient) , and some worst winger to ever play for the tigers type stuff from Jennings. As well as young tired guys who just don’t have the reps yet for that tough resiliency , that you get from a hard nosed pack, that’s in thier late 20s. When you have all those 3 things go against you at the same time , i guess the only thing you can control is the effort plays.

@Strongee said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159309) said:
@diedpretty said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159294) said:

Yea but everyone is blaming brooks. When you are having a bad day , the best thing you can do is own the effort plays , of which I thought brooks did that . Like I said the issue is to a man getting all 17 players up for the 80 . So many players switch off . This is the real problem. Someone like brooks can’t have a 5/10. Seriously , I say again it was some horrendous calls ,( which really shouldn’t be an excuse as we need to be more resilient) , and some worst winger to ever play for the tigers type stuff from Jennings. As well as young tired guys who just don’t have the reps yet for that tough resiliency , that you get from a hard nosed pack, that’s in thier late 20s. When you have all those 3 things go against you at the same time , i guess the only thing you can control is the effort plays.

Also the reason , I think we keep seeing this is , by and large our teams always tend to be on the young inexperienced side. And the ones that arnt tend to be way more competitive. This is especially so in the forwards. And we as a habit tend to lose the cream of the crop right before they kick in somewhere else. How often do we get a forward pack to grow into thier late 20s early 30/ together . The last would be the 2010 era team , and they went alright . We are never ever patient and seem to always pick the wrong players to stay , through IMO the wrong people being in charge. I honestly feel we have fixed that now . It’s just now about growing them , and this type of stuff happens . We just never seem to come out the other side

Nothing's changed in my time following Wests since the 80s. A change in location, a splash of orange but still a club that can't succeed. And there's nothing pointing to that changing, not even a gym.

@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159318) said:

Nothing's changed in my time following Wests since the 80s. A change in location, a splash of orange but still a club that can't succeed. And there's nothing pointing to that changing, not even a gym.

Well it did Once in 40 years..

@gallagher said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159318) said:

so gutted...

i started following in the 90s both balmain and wests struggled in 30 years of me following nrl.

depressing as hell (except 05)

@Tcat said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159308) said:
Just wondering if anyone ever notices any of our players ripping into the team after a try has been scored against us? Every time I look at the team standing there waiting for the concersion, they all just seem to stand there like mongs. I want a leader (a James Graham type, I know bad example considering the dragons position but you know what I mean) that has passion and the ability to try and lift this team when it's down and out. I don't see Benji, Brookes or Mbye doing it. So who is gonna stand up and rip in and lead this team? Somebody, please stand up.

probably not the best to chastise team mates.

I hated it when team mates did that to me when i played touch and oz tag...

@trentrunciman said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159325) said:
@Tcat said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159308) said:

probably not the best to chastise team mates.

I hated it when team mates did that to me when i played touch and oz tag...

If something needs to be said it has to be said , whether it is on or off field

It's not personal , your doing it to help the team be better

@Geo said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159084) said:
It’s a coaches job to get the best out of what he has…as much as it pains me Des has done that with Manly sure he had DCE Taupau and the Trbojevic’s but he has guys like Danny Levi and Brad bloody Parker playing great footy and a bench of nobody’s…

Oh yeah sure Des has the Turbo brothers, DCE, Marty Taupau and Addin FB, but look at what he's done with that team!

I'm not knocking Des but perhaps the issue was the former coach not getting results out of a decent roster, rather than Des getting results out of an average roster.

Similarly I would not be surprised if a good coach went to Dragons and was able to turn things around, because the roster is solid there.

I would argue there are a lot of coaches that could do a decent job with any side if it included the Turbos and DCE playing decent footy. I'd like to see how Madge fared if we could bring those 3 into the Tigers lineup.

You can afford to carry Brad Parker if Tommy Turbo is in the backline - most influential individual player going around right now IMO.

@jirskyr said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159335) said:
It’s a coaches job to get the best out of what he has…as much as it pains me Des has done that with Manly sure he had DCE Taupau and the Trbojevic’s but he has guys like Danny Levi and Brad bloody Parker playing great footy and a bench of nobody’s…

Oh yeah sure Des has the Turbo brothers, DCE, Marty Taupau and Addin FB, but look at what he's done with that team!

I'm not knocking Des but perhaps the issue was the former coach not getting results out of a decent roster, rather than Des getting results out of an average roster.

Similarly I would not be surprised if a good coach went to Dragons and was able to turn things around, because the roster is solid there.

I would argue there are a lot of coaches that could do a decent job with any side if it included the Turbos and DCE playing decent footy. I'd like to see how Madge fared if we could bring those 3 into the Tigers lineup.

You can afford to carry Brad Parker if Tommy Turbo is in the backline - most influential individual player going around right now IMO.

Some one was talking about brooks having a 5/10

Tell me how often did a Cronk , Thurston , Johns have a 5/10 ......

@jirskyr said in [Squad overhaul](/post/1159335) said:

Last year Tommy was out for a good part of the season especially the early part..as well as FB and Taupau at different stages..they had Brendon Elliot at Fullback and 5 different halves partners for DCE ...mostly half a dozen game rookies...they performed just about every week regardless of who was there...not 1 in 8 weeks..

P.S. I hate them..

![33ad37b3-b24d-4df8-9427-48e6c1927177-image.png](/assets/uploads/files/1591666581286-33ad37b3-b24d-4df8-9427-48e6c1927177-image.png)

Back