Starford To’a #253

I agree with BWG. I understand not every junior standout kicks on but To'a as an outside back was miles ahead of everyone else in his age group. He debuted early based on his ability, however quickly fell out of favour at Newcastle reportedly due to a very poor work ethic. The hope was a change of clubs might instill a desire to knuckle down and make the most of his talents. Alas, this doesn't appear to be the club for someone to do so.

He made his debut 6yrs ago and had at least 5yrs within NRL squads training and playing since. He hasn’t kicked on and has struggled stepping up from kid to adult grade.

He may of had talent as a kid, he hasn’t kicked on and just isn’t in the same class as the others mentioned.

The guy has played 61 NRL matches how many more should he get until he becomes a NRL level quality player let alone one that is rep quality?

We just put up with mediocre standards year on year and then wonder why we struggle to compete. Toa is a perfect example of why we are where we are as a club.

I agree with BWG. I understand not every junior standout kicks on but To'a as an outside back was miles ahead of everyone else in his age group. He debuted early based on his ability, however quickly fell out of favour at Newcastle reportedly due to a very poor work ethic. The hope was a change of clubs might instill a desire to knuckle down and make the most of his talents. Alas, this doesn't appear to be the club for someone to do so.
Career tourist. Like some of our other mob, has no ambition other than to call himself a pro footballer. No will, no hunger.

He made his debut 6yrs ago and had at least 5yrs within NRL squads training and playing since. He hasn’t kicked on and has struggled stepping up from kid to adult grade.

He may of had talent as a kid, he hasn’t kicked on and just isn’t in the same class as the others mentioned.

The guy has played 61 NRL matches how many more should he get until he becomes a NRL level quality player let alone one that is rep quality?

We just put up with mediocre standards year on year and then wonder why we struggle to compete. Toa is a perfect example of why we are where we are as a club.
I'm not suggesting we should be accepting of where he is at or even that we continue persisting with him.
If he hasn't been willing to challenge himself to be the best he can be then it is no surprise that others have surpassed him and now he is the one not in the same class.
I'm just saying I don't believe a lack of talent is the problem, a lack of desire is.

Brisbane = Staggs is better, and Mariner is potentially better
Canberra = Kris and Timoko both better
Dogs = Kiraz is potentially better
Cronulla = Ramien is better
Gold Coast =
Manly = Garrick and Koula are both better
Storm = R Smith is better
Newcastle = Best and Gagai are both better
Warriors = Tuivasa-Sheck is better
Cowboys = Holmes is better
Parramatta = Penisini is better
Penrith = Tago and May are both better
Souths = Wighton is better
Dragons = Lomax is better, Suli probably is too.
Roosters = Manu and Suali are both better
Dolphins = Hammer and Averillo are both better
Gold Coast: Kelly, Brimson, Schoupp, Smith-Shields.

Take your pick.

Brisbane = Staggs is better, and Mariner is potentially better
Canberra = Kris and Timoko both better
Dogs = Kiraz is potentially better
Cronulla = Ramien is better
Gold Coast =
Manly = Garrick and Koula are both better
Storm = R Smith is better
Newcastle = Best and Gagai are both better
Warriors = Tuivasa-Sheck is better
Cowboys = Holmes is better
Parramatta = Penisini is better
Penrith = Tago and May are both better
Souths = Wighton is better
Dragons = Lomax is better, Suli probably is too.
Roosters = Manu and Suali are both better
Dolphins = Hammer and Averillo are both better

I don't really want to way in on this, but I have to say Garrick isn't a better centre. He has been shocking in a team going good this year. By the way, I would have Garrick as my NSW winger. I don't mind him, just not as a centre.

He's a lazy no hoper. He's not first grade standard. Sure he has a couple of traits, butb he's still playing on his 'potential'. By his age and experience he needs to have improved, he hasn't.
He was a talented kid, now he's just another grownan living off his teenage highlights. His only saving grace is Naden and Solo Saukuru have been injured.
He's exactly the sort of player we should have on a train and trial, not as a starter...

I don't really want to way in on this, but I have to say Garrick isn't a better centre. He has been shocking in a team going good this year. By the way, I would have Garrick as my NSW winger. I don't mind him, just not as a centre.
I wrote that last October

I think he’s a classic middle of the road type player. Not marquee, but not downright useless. I think a lot of you train yourselves to see players in only those two categories. But again, you also have to consider that he’s in a side like ours, and if he’s put into a better one, could he excel? He’s shown glimpses that make me think it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Reactions: Eca
Good reggies player average very average guest grader... We've had heaps of these

@GNR4LIFE I think most of our players would go better in a better team... Our coaching and the crurenat this club has been abysmal, for years..... That's if they really want success or are just happy being just another 'nrl player'

I sometimes wonder

Good reggies player average very average guest grader... We've had heaps of these

@GNR4LIFE I think most of our players would go better in a better team... Our coaching and the crurenat this club has been abysmal, for years..... That's if they really want success or are just happy being just another 'nrl player'

I sometimes wonder
The club has proven time and time again that when players leave they produce better performances elsewhere and develop into quality NRL players,Moses,Teddy etc..
When players come here they seem to lose their quality playing standard and regress or are at the end of their glory days,Packer,Matalino,Reynolds,Ballin etc and the juniors we had get poached by others...
Now with Richo here,the board overhauled and a new era starting from this year,I think there will be brighter days ahead....It will take time and us having patience and keep supporting the team and club...

Back